Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I'm going to Mumbai for a month to work for the BBC and I've never been to India before, let alone Mumbai. Wondered if anyone knew much about it first-hand or if anyone wanted to share any anecdotes about their time there...or any tips, where to eat etc. etc.

ReputationRep:
    Lucky you, went to India last year for 5 weeks and i loved it! But i only spent a couple of days in Mumbai, but i can fill you in as much as i know.
    In terms of food, you will never go starving.If you like indian food thats great, but its not going to be a big deal anyway, because they have Mcdonalds, Pizza Hut and Nandos.And in terms of price it is much cheaper than Uk.

If you want to taste local indian food, by all means do that, but just be careful about eating from the stalls on the street, they sometimes unhygenic and can cause problems,the indian restaurants are fine, and in most they serve chips/chinese noodles etc. Mineral water is a must.

I assume that youre going for a month, so you probably go sight-seeing. The most touristy places to visit is the gate way of India, Taj hotel, Juhu/Chowpatty beach etc. Victoria gardens is also nice. Esselworld is good if you like rides/theme park.

To go to Mumbai in Feb, is ideal,Mumbai is pleasant this time of the year, For indians is there Winter, but for us british its like summer, probably 23 degrees to 30 degrees. However. it might get a bit chilly in the night so packed some sweaters just in case.

If you need to ask anything else, just ask.
    Have a great time, i know you will, India is amazing...

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if that's true for Mumbai, but I've heard that it's generally considered rude not to cover up your arms and legs - Can anyone confirm this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talveer)
    Thats not true. :P
    Oh, whoops Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Music Is My Boyfriend)
    So I'm going to Mumbai for a month to work for the BBC and I've never been to India before, let alone Mumbai. Wondered if anyone knew much about it first-hand or if anyone wanted to share any anecdotes about their time there...or any tips, where to eat etc. etc.
    hey, i go to mumbai every year/sometimes twice so let me know if you need to know anything
    where to eat - it depends. they have all your standard restaurant like pizza hut and mcdonalds (try the Aloo Tikki Burger its amazing) but my favourite restaurants are Cream Centre/Bombay Blue (same owner) which you should 100% go to while you're there. they have a variety of cuisines, indian, italian, chinese...but the best is the sizzling brownie its the highlight of my year.
    If you've never been before i'd suggest that you don't eat roadside food. It's the most delicious and spicy but if you're stomache isn't used to it you may get crazy issues with diarrhea/vomiting
    always ask for Bisleri (filtered) water

ReputationRep:
    Mumbai is fun. Check out areas like Colaba, Cuffe Parade. Leopold's Cafe near the Gateway is a good tourist hangout. Places like Juhu beach, and Chowpatty are worth a visit. The Haji Ali is a sight, as is the VT station.

Remember to always use bottled water. And don't hold yourself back - if you embrace India for what it is, you will have a good time.

ReputationRep:
    shopping - Phoenix Mills and Atrium are good for real shops but if you want a market then definitely go to Colaba Causeway (really good, cheap jewellry but make sure you bargain loads because they really exaggerate prices to foreigners)
    and Linking Road for clothes and shoes

ReputationRep:
    - As with most places in India be aware of security.
    - Dont put all your money/cards in one pocket
    - Avoid the touts in the airport, always use a metered taxi
    - Be wary of freeloaders
    - Cover up and dont walk around alone. Be discreet to avoid undesirables.

ReputationRep:
    Eat street food!!! the street food in mumbai is AMAZING, it's mostly cooked freshly right in front of you so it's not that dangerous, don't be too freaked out about getting sick or you're not gonna get the best food. you don't need your whole arms and legs covered but shoulders and knees is a good idea, and if you're female then make sure necklines aren't too low. nothing anyone can tell you can prepare you for india, just go there with an open mind and surrender to mother india... she'll get under your skin! i have a couple of friends in mumbai if you're in need of some contacts at first but if you're going to work i guess you'll be alright!! it really is a truly amazing place, i am incredibly jealous!!! 3 trips to india and still can't get enough of it!!

ReputationRep:
    Awesome guys cheers for the advice. I'm working specifically with Grazia I have just been told and the girls there have promised me they'll show me around. Also going with my two course mates so I won't be alone, but it's good to get some insider information. Watched a few videos etc. on the net and I'm really excited. One more question, does anyone know which are the best bazaars? I'm really into that kind of shopping and I know there are a lot of them...

ReputationRep:
    Crawford and Chor Bazaar are good. They sell antiques, jewellery, kaftans etc. Ive personally brought good stuff from there. Just be ready to haggle!

Also its worthwile to go to Mohammed Ali road/ Bhindibazar, i found that overhere they pretty much sell everything from clothes to dvds/gadgets. This particular area is mad and full of people, but dont be put off, just go with the flow, and you'll have fun. when you're there definitely try the indian sweets/ milkshakes, because thats what M.A road is famous for.

Other than that they have shopping malls like we do,Heera Paana shopping centre i think its called, is good, but i found it too expensive.

ReputationRep:
    yeah don't go to the shopping malls - you could be anywhere in the world. chor bazaar is amazing, can't speak for crawford as i didn't go but chor is definitely worth a visit.

ReputationRep:
    My advice dont travel in local trains at peak hours at 9 to 10 am and 6 to 8 pm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by denmarkvillas)
    My advice dont travel in local trains at peak hours at 9 to 10 am and 6 to 8 pm.
    the new Bombay Metro is starting soon so she might want to use that for transport as well as the local trains

ReputationRep:
    We're staying in a BBC guest house which is in walking distance to the BBC buliding so hopefully I'll be able to walk to work. I've read lots of good things about Elephanta Cave, is it worth a visit or over-rated? I'm also thinking of going to Esselworld but if the rides are pretty naff I don't think I'll bother...

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.