Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    for the next lotto, how about we get 49 users together and pick the same 5 numbers and pick 1-49 as the final number? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    I would

Give at least half to my parents for everything they've done for me the past 18 years.
    Haiti
    Go crazy :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I will.
    If I win I'm going to get a Bengal tiger and raise it as my pet.

ReputationRep:
    I had a dream once that I won the Lottery and bought thousands of really crappy cars, and whenever some **** with his chaved-up matchbox car or someone in an unnecessarily fast car drove close to my bumper I'd put on the handbrake and wreck their cars.

I fear winning the lottery because I doubt I'd be able to handle that kind of money. Within two days I'd have gone on some crazy Michael Jackson-esque spending spree on toys, chimps and my own replica of Neverland.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unknownking321)
    for the next lotto, how about we get 49 users together and pick the same 5 numbers and pick 1-49 as the final number? :holmes:
    You would still end up down though? Probably not by a great deal on average, but you dont have an average, just one chance. So if you didnt get any numbers, but got the bonus ball or whatever its called for everyone who invested £1 you would get £0.20 back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riderz)
    You would still end up down though? Probably not by a great deal on average, but you dont have an average, just one chance. So if you didnt get any numbers, but got the bonus ball or whatever its called for everyone who invested £1 you would get £0.20 back.
    obviously, you're not guaranteed a win but it reduces the odds for a winning ticket. :fyi:

ReputationRep:
    Lord knows what I'd do with that amount of cash. I'd start my own F1 team.

ReputationRep:
    obviously, you're not guaranteed a win but it reduces the odds for a winning ticket. :fyi:
    The odds of a winning ticket stay the same. 1 in 49. But yes, your guaranteed some form of payout between all 49 of you.

ReputationRep:
    It's this Friday isn't it? I'll probably buy a ticket if I remember.

£113,000,000- wow. I would probably give half of it to my parents so they could pay off their mortgage and debts, get a new house and they wouldn't have to work again.

I would give my two sisters £10,000,000 each so they could go to University debt free and also live in luxury.

I would fly everyone first class to Florida (our favourite family holiday destination) for 3 weeks staying in all the top hotels.

I would pay off my University fees and then go crazy with the rest (and probably save some too- I know boring). I would give £1,000,000 each to Dog's Trust and Cancer Research as well.

ReputationRep:
    The odds of a winning ticket stay the same. 1 in 49. But yes, your guaranteed some form of payout between all 49 of you.
    wrong and wrong. i think you should forget about the idea.

ReputationRep:
    wrong and wrong. i think you should forget about the idea.
    Go on then. How does buying 49 tickets alter the chance of one individual ticket winning? It doesnt, it cant. The odds are fixed no matter how many you buy.

If I buy one ticket my chance of winning is say, 1 in 100, if I buy two it becomes 1 in 50, but the chance of each individual ticket winning is still 1 in 100, I just have 2 of them.

ReputationRep:
    Even though we're fairly rich, we will still be trying for the EuroMillion

ReputationRep:
    113 million? I've got a pretty good idea of what I'd do actually.

- Pay off my parents' mortgage, and the student loans of myself, my siblings and boyfriend. Then I'd give my family members and boyfriend some of it, and offer some to my friends and boyfriend's family.

- Give a proportion of it to charity, and invest a decent proportion of it wisely

- Travel round Britain and the rest of the world, on and off, for the rest of my life, and try to get myself published as a writer. I'd still travel as a backpacker, though obviously I'd be able to do more stuff than if I was scraping by.

- Buy a nice house to live in when in the UK, but not a mansion - I wouldn't want somewhere too big, just somewhere with character. I'd fill it with books, art, photography and curios, and have a room with a pool table, darts, table-tennis table, rowing machine and cycling machine in.

- I'd buy a Blackberry, up to date and high quality digital camera & camcorder (I'd take these two with me on my travels), and Sky TV (including Sky Sports) - and I'd eat at classy restaurants, go to England rugby, football and cricket internationals, go to plays, shows and concerts in the West End and elsewhere, go on spending sprees in secondhand bookshops!

- I'd do a joint Fine Art and History of Art degree, both just for the fun of it and to try to establish myself as an artist, on the side

ReputationRep:
    Go on then. How does buying 49 tickets alter the chance of one individual ticket winning? It doesnt, it cant. The odds are fixed no matter how many you buy.

If I buy one ticket my chance of winning is say, 1 in 100, if I buy two it becomes 1 in 50, but the chance of each individual ticket winning is still 1 in 100, I just have 2 of them.
    it doesn't. it reduces the odds on winning something and hence the idea of syndicates.

ReputationRep:
    I am most aggrieved at the fact that I play this frequently and have as yet failed to pick the correct numbers for even the most basic £5 prize!

I must say, £113 million could just about pay off the Student Loan with a little extra for a small empire!

ReputationRep:
    First of all i'd keep it a secret, wouldn't want all those hangers on. Then invest in a solid gold house - i don't think anyone would notice that.

ReputationRep:
    Im buying two tickets

First thing I would do is quit my job
    Move abroad, buy a big house, make sure family was sorted, donate some money for animals and cancer
    Then book all the seats in a cinema screening room and watch my fav film

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the not telling anyone business.

Then I would try and not spend any of it for at least a couple of weeks so that I wouldn't blow loads of money onabsolute crap.

I definitely wouldn't donate any to charity, and anyway aren't there rules on how much of a lottery win you can donate :confused:

Also when the EL was something like £97m a couple of years ago I got five numbers, I won £90 :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    I'd pay off everyone's debts(family and relatives - this is a once in a life time thing only!)
    Donate a few millions to Hiati
    Buy myself a few cars
    Spoiler:
    Show

Corsa VXR in lightning silver
    Nissan GTR black edition
    BMW 3 series coupe in white with red leather seats
    Subaru WRX STi 330S
    Mitsubishi Evo X FQ-400
    Ferrari 458
    Lamborghini Gallardo Balboni (the stripe! )

Divide a million between relatives
    Give my aunt £5M
    Give my parents £10M
    Buy the above two each a mansion.

ReputationRep:
    I'd build a giant f-off castle in the middle of green belt land then fire my trebuchet and balista on unsuspecting ramblers!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.