Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    HI ALL,

Any of you applying to Cardiff and has either been asked for a portfolio or already sent one??

The deadline for my portfolio is NEXT MONDAY-15th Feb (:eek:) The email clearly says the portfolio should only consist of 4 sheets of A4 sized paper. I would say that is way too little, If i was to fit a few of my sketchbook pages on to 1 A4 sheet, they would be soooo small- and would not demonstrate the real quality of my work.

So i printed every piece of work on an A4 sized paper.. and now I've got around 20 sheets. However, they are all clear and easy to flick through for the professors to look at. Do you think Cardiff would refuse to assess my porfolio if i send them so many sheets?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think they would refuse to assess it. You wouldn't be playing by the rules.

Pick your four best and sent them. Try and cover a variety of media and subject matter. Quality not quantity.

ReputationRep:
    You're allowed to use the backside of each A4 sheet so technically you could send 8 A4 sized images.

ReputationRep:
    Don't be daft. Send in 4 like they want.

ReputationRep:
    they will reject your 20 sheets and your application straight away if you do that.

do you know why cardiff wants you to have 4 sheets? to demonstrate to the tutors you can self-edit and self-appraise. its a rare talent, everyone does the old kitchen sink approach of throwing everything at the target in the hope that something will stick.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh alright I've got them sorted into 4 pages. thanks (:

ReputationRep:
    I selected 2 images for each side of A4 and made them double sided. I think one page had three images on it, but I reckon they were getting rather too small.

ReputationRep:
    I only submitted 4 a4 images and just had a short 2-3 sentence description on the back, so 8+ images isn't even necessary - but up to you. People have obviously got in with both methods.

ReputationRep:
    I did the double-sided thing, but with hindsight, 50% of what I sent wasn't fab anyway, so I could've just done it with 4 images in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    I included 16 works. Double sided A4s, 8 pages, 2 works each on one page...
    Anyone knows when do you typically OFFER/REJECT you after your portfolio submission???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hanhaoha)
    Anyone knows when do you typically OFFER/REJECT you after your portfolio submission???
    There isn't a typical reply date. I heard late, others didn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hanhaoha)
    hey, wasn't it ment to be 8 pages of 4 double sided a4 sheets?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by esul)
    hey, wasn't it ment to be 8 pages of 4 double sided a4 sheets?
    yep that's what I meant isn't it? haha
    i got 4 SHEETs, all double sided so thats 8 pages no?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2010

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.