Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will MC firms care about my first non-law degree grades? watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok,

I recently graduated from university in the United States with a 2:2, i believe. Now, i am planning to do a law degree in the UK.

Given i achieve a high 2:1 or first on my law degree, would my first degree reduce my chances of getting a vac scheme or tc?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dantethealb)
    Ok,

I recently graduated from university in the United States with a 2:2, i believe. Now, i am planning to do a law degree in the UK.

Given i achieve a high 2:1 or first on my law degree, would my first degree reduce my chances of getting a vac scheme or tc?

Thanks
    What was your GPA in the states?

ReputationRep:
    If you're doing a full undergraduate law degree in England I doubt they'll look back to your US grades (especially as they'll be expressed as GPA, which they probably won't be all that familiar with). I don't have any actual firsthand knowledge to back that up though, just to warn you.

What makes you so confident of getting a high 2.1/first? (not saying you won't, but just wondering). Also, not all of the unis to which you've applied are traditional recruitment grounds for the magic circle and other top City firms -- I'd try to go to Nottingham if you can, perhaps Exeter.

ReputationRep:
    xo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    If you're doing a full undergraduate law degree in England I doubt they'll look back to your US grades (especially as they'll be expressed as GPA, which they probably won't be all that familiar with). I don't have any actual firsthand knowledge to back that up though, just to warn you.

What makes you so confident of getting a high 2.1/first? (not saying you won't, but just wondering). Also, not all of the unis to which you've applied are traditional recruitment grounds for the magic circle and other top City firms -- I'd try to go to Nottingham if you can, perhaps Exeter.

Thanks for responding. Now, my educational background (meaning i have already been exposed to demanding courses and done well in some) and a clear understanding of what i want to achieve and how. In short, i am motivated to work hard and destined to succeed.

You are right about MC firms and the unis i have applied to. However, A&O recruits from Leicester. Also, i would like to clarify that by "MC firms" i mean the top 20 uk law firms in revenue.

ReputationRep:
    I think that if you used your degree to get into a British university, then top 20 firms will want to know what the result was, just as they'll want to know what your high school results were. I don't think they'll ignore it simply because you have a UK undergraduate degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SevenStars)
    I think that if you used your degree to get into a British university, then top 20 firms will want to know what the result was, just as they'll want to know what your high school results were. I don't think they'll ignore it simply because you have a UK undergraduate degree.

The question is if and by how much will their decision to offer me a vac or tc be affected by my previous undergrad degree.

ReputationRep:
    The question is if and by how much will their decision to offer me a vac or tc be affected by my previous undergrad degree.
    It will be an influencing factor but not fatal to any application. Of far greater importance will be your UK undergrad results and extra-currics.

You should note that references to "MC", or "Magic Circle", firms mean those 5 top firms of A&O, Clifford Chance, Linklaters, Slaughter and May and Freshfields. It isn't used to refer more generally to the top 20. You may come across reference to the Silver Circle which means those 10 or so firms in the chasing pack (Norton Rose, Ashurst, Lovells etc).

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for responding. Now, my educational background (meaning i have already been exposed to demanding courses and done well in some) and a clear understanding of what i want to achieve and how. In short, i am motivated to work hard and destined to succeed.

You are right about MC firms and the unis i have applied to. However, A&O recruits from Leicester. Also, i would like to clarify that by "MC firms" i mean the top 20 uk law firms in revenue.
    I am confused as to what you mean by 'destined to succeed'?

A law degree is a lot of work, and sometimes even those that work very hard do not get high 2:1s or firsts. In addition, getting into a top law firm requires more than a good degree.

As for unis, I think Leicester has good links with employers - but not so much City or Kent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by petalo170)
    I am confused as to what you mean by 'destined to succeed'?

A law degree is a lot of work, and sometimes even those that work very hard do not get high 2:1s or firsts. In addition, getting into a top law firm requires more than a good degree.

As for unis, I think Leicester has good links with employers - but not so much City or Kent.

I mean that i have the will, knowledge, and academic background to succeed.

I do not know ANY hard-working student who has not done well in school, whether that would be law school or medicine. As far as more is required to get into top law firms, i have had already two law internships in the US, speak fluently three languages, and have commercial awareness from my work experience.

From my research, Leicester seems to be a good university that 5-6 of the biggest law firms in the UK participate in their law fair. There are American law firms that recruit there too.

What about you, what unis have you applied to?

ReputationRep:
    I am already at uni, doing a law degree. I am on course for a first and will be doing a vac scheme with a magic circle firm in a few weeks

I didn't mean to say that people who work hard don't do well - many of my classmates work very hard and average a low-medium 2:1, which in my opinion is still a very good grade. A high 2:1 is just very hard to get - the top grade in my law class in my first year was 68%.

I also didn't mean to offend you, and apologise if I did. It's just that many people go into law feeling that they are 'destined to succeed' and waste time and money on a degree that is very hard work and that they don't enjoy.

A question though, out of curiosity: why do you want to do a UK law degree and not a US one? I have heard that US lawyers make more money and that it is (somewhat) easier to work as a self-employed lawyer.

And yup, I think Leicester is a good uni with good employability for law grads!

That is wonderful. I hope you will share your experience with us.

Now, i am not aware how hard the courses are at law school are. What i know is that i did well on classes at my university that were the hardest in my major. Judging from those classes i think i can put some extra effort to get the best grade i can.

I am very conscious of my decision to study law. My experience has shown that law might not be enjoyable because it is extremely hard work. What is enjoyable about law are the rewards. Some people like the money, other the prestige, i like to associate myself with people who are ambitious, driven, and above all intelligent. A group like that working towards a common goal (closing a deal before the market exchange opens) is exhilarating.

I am aware that "destined to succeed" is an overstatement of my confidence.

The main reason is the financial burden. Three years at 35,000 a year is too much to handle. Also, i would like to return to Europe.

The money is the same, if i cared for it that much. I would choose to work for American law firms like Bingham, Cleary, and White.

I hope Leicester can offer me the chance to meet with top law firms, after that, its all me.

ReputationRep:

Now, i am not aware how hard the courses are at law school are. What i know is that i did well on classes at my university that were the hardest in my major. Judging from those classes i think i can put some extra effort to get the best grade i can.

I am very conscious of my decision to study law. My experience has shown that law might not be enjoyable because it is extremely hard work. What is enjoyable about law are the rewards. Some people like the money, other the prestige, i like to associate myself with people who are ambitious, driven, and above all intelligent. A group like that working towards a common goal (closing a deal before the market exchange opens) is exhilarating.

The main reason is the financial burden. Three years at 35,000 a year is too much to handle. Also, i would like to return to Europe.

The money is the same, if i cared for it that much. I would choose to work for American law firms like Bingham, Cleary, and White.

I hope Leicester can offer me the chance to meet with top law firms, after that, its all me.
    I'm glad you're so enthusiastic about law, and good luck to you
    If you have any questions about law degrees or careers or whatever (not that I'm really an expert on the careers side) then feel free to message me and I'll try to help

ReputationRep:

Oh and although it can be a lot of work, law can also be really enjoyable. I especially loved contract law, and at the moment I am doing international law courses and they are fascinating.

ReputationRep:
    Oh and although it can be a lot of work, law can also be really enjoyable. I especially loved contract law, and at the moment I am doing international law courses and they are fascinating.
    Check your messages.

ReputationRep:

You claim to have done well in diffuctult courses, but unfortunately if you have the equivilent of a 2.2 so that is not reflected in your results thus far. A british degree is very different from a US degree which is more of a general education and pitched at a lower level, added to this, realistically you can not predict what you will possibly get until in an degree until your penultimate year anyway, but thats not to say you wont get it.

You should enquire at the law firms you are interested in as other students with no expereince of recruitment are going to be unlikely to be able to help you,

Also are you a US citizen? You might face visa problems if you wanted to work here, and you wouldn't be able to practice in the US without 3 years undergrad legal education

ReputationRep:
    xo

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.