Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Artificial Intelligence--Choice of Universities? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am interested in a MSc degree(Taught, Sept 2010 intake) in Artificial Intelligence & Robotics field & have recieved a response from the following universities:

Imperial College London : Rejected
    University College London(MSc Machine Learning) : Conditional Offer
    University of Edinburgh(Msc Artificial Intelligence) :Conditional Offer
    University of Manchester(Msc Artificial Intelligence) : Conditional Offer
    University of Bristol(MSc Machine Learning) : Conditional Offer
    University of York(MSc Computing): Conditional Offer

Having got an offer from almost all the applied Universities, makes me feel happy & confused at the same time…
    I personally feel that Edinburgh & UCL are the best amongst them all…

The thing that is confusing me the most is….whether I should consider the overall university rankings or only the Computer Science dept rankings..?
    If I consider department-wise, then the School of Informatics at University of Edinburgh is supposedly the best(courtesy: Wikipedia), much ahead of UCL ….but if the overall rankings are to be considered, then UCL is better… :hmmmm:

Another cause of my worries is the Job oppurtunuties in London & Edinburgh. I feel that graduating from UCL would fetch me a better job(read money :p: ), since the oppurtunities in & around London are immense.

Kindly help me since this choice of Universities is driving me crazy...:eek3:

Thanks in advance,
    Sunny

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UKASPIRANT)
    Hi,

I am interested in a MSc degree(Taught, Sept 2010 intake) in Artificial Intelligence & Robotics field & have recieved a response from the following universities:

University College London(MSc Machine Learning) : Conditional Offer
    University of Edinburgh(Msc Artificial Intelligence) :Conditional Offer
    University of Manchester(Msc Artificial Intelligence) : Conditional Offer
    University of Bristol(MSc Machine Learning) : Conditional Offer
    University of York(MSc Computing): Conditional Offer

Having got an offer from almost all the applied Universities, makes me feel happy & confused at the same time…
    I personally feel that Edinburgh & UCL are the best amongst them all…

The thing that is confusing me the most is….whether I should consider the overall university rankings or only the Computer Science dept rankings..?
    If I consider department-wise, then the School of Informatics at University of Edinburgh is supposedly the best(courtesy: Wikipedia), much ahead of UCL ….but if the overall rankings are to be considered, then UCL is better… :hmmmm:

Another cause of my worries is the Job oppurtunuties in London & Edinburgh. I feel that graduating from UCL would fetch me a better job(read money :p: ), since the oppurtunities in & around London are immense.

Kindly help me since this choice of Universities is driving me crazy...:eek3:

Thanks in advance,
    Sunny
    If i'm not mistaken (and this comes from a social scientist/historian with only personal interest in computer science), UCL are pretty good in research on artificial intelligence, it is actually one of their strongest areas (and they are probably weaker more generally, so if you are doing a specialized masters, it could be good). I would also boil it down to Edinburgh and UCL.
    A lot of it is also gonna depend on you if you prefer London or Edinburgh, and if you can afford london.

ReputationRep:
    well, I am going to take a study loan for my master's , so it doesn't really matter if I go for Edinburgh or London (hv'nt got any city based preferences though )...
    I just wanna ensure that after the completion of the course, I shall be able to repay the loan amount, and that directly depends on the job placements of the respective universities...:p:
    Being from India, I am clueless about the placement scenario out there in the UK...so it wud help alott.. if i could get a clear picture about the same...
    kindly help...

ReputationRep:
    well, I am going to take a study loan for my master's , so it doesn't really matter if I go for Edinburgh or London (hv'nt got any city based preferences though )...
    I just wanna ensure that after the completion of the course, I shall be able to repay the loan amount, and that directly depends on the job placements of the respective universities...:p:
    Being from India, I am clueless about the placement scenario out there in the UK...so it wud help alott.. if i could get a clear picture about the same...
    kindly help...
    I would reckon none of them would 'hurt' your chances of getting a good job, with UCL having maybe a slighlty larger international recognition and being in London (so you could attend all the grad fairs etc...)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for ur prompt replies crackingod...

ReputationRep:
    I came across a blog this morning wherein it was written that placements in KCL are better than that at Edinburgh...
    I am under the impression that the course at Edinburgh(MSc in Artificial Intelligence) is the best in Uk after Oxbridge & Imperial....but that blog came to me as a shocker..!:eek:
    Do graduates from colleges like UCL & KCL get a better pay package than guys frm Edinburgh..?
    Kindly help me decide amongst my options...:eek3:

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

What and when did you apply to Imperial? I applied to Imperial and still no respond from them :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I had applied for the MSc in Advanced Computing about a month ago....wasn't able 2 get thru.....guess it was my undergrad grades(71%)..

ReputationRep:
    guys...m still waiting....please help me with my query....:unsure:

ReputationRep:
    I am under the impression that the course at Edinburgh(MSc in Artificial Intelligence) is the best in Uk after Oxbridge & Imperial....but that blog came to me as a shocker..!:eek:

what blog? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    The blog stated that job placements at KCL(MSc in Intelligent Systems) are better than those at Edinburgh(MSc in AI); just bcoz KCL is in London & Edinburgh in Scotland.:shock:
    I was wondering if I wud face the same problem if I opted for the Edinburgh course..:unsure:

ReputationRep:
    For AI, Edinburgh is internationally famous.
    It is probably the leading institute in the UK for AI.
    Among other things, it is known for David Warren´s Warren Abstract Machine and Edinburgh Prolog.

http://www.cisa.informatics.ed.ac.uk/research.html
    http://www.aiai.ed.ac.uk/achievements.html
    http://www.aiai.ed.ac.uk/
    http://www.inf.ed.ac.uk/research/cisa/publications.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newman24x)
    What and when did you apply to Imperial? I applied to Imperial and still no respond from them :mad:
    Still no response? I haven't had one yet and applied in december

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 10, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.