Turn on thread page Beta

my dad drinks everynight and it annoys me can anyone give me advice?? watch

ReputationRep:
    my dad drinks everynight and it really annoys me coz i am only 15 and obv i dont earn money so wen i need stuf i askk my dad and he says he cant afford it or he aint got no money but the thing is he can afford beer i justt want him to STOP drinkin but he doesnt listen to his own kids he justt likes to enjoy his time wid his girlfriend and she drinks everynight wid him!
    can anyone give me advice on how to tel him to stop drinkin and think more about his kids??

ReputationRep:
    123catherine.
    just tell him how you feel and im sure he'll understand babee;D
    tell him how much it bothers you and see if you brother and sister feel the same way & then you can all go and talk to him about it, & if it bothers all 3 of you. he should stop eventually <3

ReputationRep:
    trust me he doesn't listen, my brother came home cryin one day from schoool, because he was scared that one day we will wake up and wont have a dad! ♥
    thankyou thou! ill try and talk to him xx

ReputationRep:
    i had exactly the same problem as you, but with my mum. she used to drink every night, and even when i asked her to stop and she promised not to drink she would end up in the same state. in the end it got so bad that she lost my little broter, and ended up in hospital. then she went to an aa (alcoholics anonimous) meeting and eventually she got better. now shes been dry for 4 yrs.

i know its really hard, but try talkin to him. suggest he mite have a problem, but if he wont accept it, youl just have to wait. you cant do anythin until hes ready to accept it himself. just try to be tere for your brothers and sisters

ReputationRep:
    you cant tell him to stop, you are a child, you have no right telling an adult what he can/cant do in his own home, all you can do is talk to him about how its making you feel but trust me unless HE wants to stop himself he wont listen and this coming from someone who has an alcoholic mother

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    I understand how it feels - my dad has been an alcoholic my whole life, (in AA and sober for 3 and a half years now). I told my dad daily how much I hated his drinking. It made no difference. Until he is ready to change, he will not change. I'm sorry to say it, but it's true. If i could change anything I'd waste a lot less energy nagging my dad to give up booze. Go talk to someone, Alateen or a counsellor. If he abuses you in any way whilst drunk (verbally, mentally, physically, sexually) then you need to tell another responsible adult and maybe make alternative living arrangements. Maybe you could go stay with an aunt or grandparent for a while? If you ever want to talk, feel free to message me.
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 123catherine)
    my dad drinks everynight and it really annoys me coz i am only 15 and obv i dont earn money so wen i need stuf i askk my dad and he says he cant afford it or he aint got no money but the thing is he can afford beer i justt want him to STOP drinkin but he doesnt listen to his own kids he justt likes to enjoy his time wid his girlfriend and she drinks everynight wid him!
    can anyone give me advice on how to tel him to stop drinkin and think more about his kids??
    You should tell him exactly how you feel in a calm and collected manner. Think rationally, and try not to lose your temper.

I know this probably sounds lame, but I'm sure if you help with housework regularly there should be more incentive for you to be treated to pocket money

Man you're young!! I'm over 10 years older than you, far out. Anyway best of luck with the situation and hope it works out for you later.

ReputationRep:
    hahaha(:
    thankyou ill try thatt;
    but i lose my temper easily

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.