Wrong Choice? Watch

This discussion is closed.
mikeski
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
ok, im starting my GCSE's next year. as you can see in my sig, i chose History, and i dropped Geography. i enjoy history but in my last summer in-school test, i got better in geography than history. i have always got better marks in geography than history (although i get high marks in History), and i like geography, but i like history that wee bit more. personally i like to get the best grades and am very compeditive lol, so do you think i have made the wrong choice? :confused: :confused: :confused:
Champagne Breakfast
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by mikeski)
ok, im starting my GCSE's next year. as you can see in my sig, i chose History, and i dropped Geography. i enjoy history but in my last summer in-school test, i got better in geography than history. i have always got better marks in geography than history (although i get high marks in History), and i like geography, but i like history that wee bit more. personally i like to get the best grades and am very compeditive lol, so do you think i have made the wrong choice? :confused: :confused: :confused:
Nah definitely go for history if you enjoy it more - geography is for *******s (well ok outside of school it's actually fairly respected nowadays but still it is for dumbos) and is serious amounts of work for not much reward, while history is less work but perhaps slightly more taxing on the old grey matter and so I would say more rewarding. As you enjoy it, you'll probably work harder at it And at GCSE, once you read the mark scheme, it should be no problem at all to get those last marks for the A* so long as you have the knowledge all there. You might think history is useless but it shows that you can think critically about events, analyze well and structure coherent arguments together which could come in handy for a number of things, for example writing financial reports (lol), and it goes well with such subjects as economics and in fact just about anything. Also kinda depends on what you want to do at uni :P
*River
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'd stick with History - the volume of coursework you have is lower, and generally, people who are doing it are really interested in the subject, although of course you get the exceptions to every rule. Besides, if you enjoy a subject you will be more compelled to work harder to achieve the A* or whatever, once you get the technique properly, you can essentially apply it to any of the questions you come accross, and therefore a reasonably intelligent person can easily access top grades. (Atleast this was the case with the course I just finished - AQA Modern World History B I think)
Chewwy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
history > geography

in geography you just do courseowrk the whole time which is identical to the maths stats courseowrk, only longer. which is no mean feat. i didnt do geography, i always had this sinking feeling when i was in a class. i really don't know why.
kellywood_5
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Stick with history. If you get high marks in it and enjoy it, that's more important than taking something you get slightly higher marks in but don't enjoy as much. If you enjoy what you're studying, you'll be more willing to put the effort in and hence will do well.
HEAD BOY
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Definitely do History - much more respected than geography and shows you have good argumentative and analytical skills which will open up many more doors in the future. Geography seems to be very popular and is more of a subject for people who aren't good at anything else (sorry to anyone taking geography!!!) but that's they way it is seemed at my school. Go for History!
Mark S
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
In my opinion history is a lot better, if you're doing modern world then it'd rock! but also if you're doing medicine through time its v interesting

You say you got better marks in geog in yr 9? Ok well in my sats i only got a level 6, and i was getting As at GCSE, and those who got level 7 in sats were expected to get As.

GCSE doesnt really measure how intelligent you are, it just measures to what extent you can regurgitate information when it's needed, its all a big memory game. Although history does require additional skills like analytical skills and being able to make good conclusions by yourself is advantegeous by far.
Bowie88
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
geography is better!!!!!!!
And you ever said geography was for "dumbos," shame on you! Especially your terminalogy, refering to geography as a subject suitable for the mentally retarded. I myself take offence to the comment, as i myself have a cousin who is both physically and mentally handicap. I would also ask you what exam board do you do? If its ccea you wouldnt say that. All ccea subjects are much harder than any other exam board.
Ellie4
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by The Ace is Back)
geography is for *******s
:mad:
Champagne Breakfast
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Bowie88)
geography is better!!!!!!!
But for geography you need to go out and buy coloured pencils!!! For history you just need a pen!! Clearly the better choice in that case.. hehehe
Bowie88
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by The Ace is Back)
But for geography you need to go out and buy coloured pencils!!! For history you just need a pen!! Clearly the better choice in that case.. hehehe
your point being???? I dont have time for people like you!! How dare you say that geography is for the mentally retarded. Im not retarded, im predicted 12 a*s in my gcses!!!!
Ellie4
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Well I'm doing Geography at university, and I'm certainly not mentally retarded!
Eau
Report 13 years ago
I'd say geography since you said you're getting high marks, and since you are the kind of person who cares about grades.

JUST CHOOSE! It's just GCSE. You can always change at A-level.
Champagne Breakfast
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Im not retarded, im predicted 12 a*s in my gcses!!!!
Then why are you doing geography???! Anyway you people, I already said it's well respected outside of school. Is that not enough?? What more do you want? You want me to LIE!?
Champagne Breakfast
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I thought on this thing everyone was entitled to their own opinion anyway
isabella19
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
do both if you are really good at them. Do you really love Music and Drama or did you just choose them because you wanted practical subjects? You could always swap one of them for Geography.
kellywood_5
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
All ccea subjects are much harder than any other exam board.
I very much doubt you've done any subject, let alone all of them, with every exam board, so how do you know CCEA is harder?
Bowie88
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by kellywood_5)
I very much doubt you've done any subject, let alone all of them, with every exam board, so how do you know CCEA is harder?
All my teachers believe so, and i have done practise papers from each exam board for all my gcses subjects, guess which exam board was the hardest????? Have you done any ccea exams?
mikeski
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
right ok, i think ccea subjects are hard yea, but AQA history is supposed to be hard. but anyways, i love music n drama, so i wouldnt give them up, no chance, but i dont want a lot of coursework. AQA drama has a lot of course work and, well composing for music does take time. so i wil have enough course work to do. geo course work has always been a breeze for me, i usuallly get A* or A in course work for geo. i think i should just stick with history.

this is for CCEA history:

Paper 1: study in depth (50%)
Section A: Germany 1918 - 1941
Section B: Changing relationships: britain, northern ireland and ireland c1965-1985

Paper 2: Outline study (30%)
Section A: the cold war, 1945-1991

Coursework (20%)
candidates are required to complete 1 assignment based on a topic related to, but not included within, the content of Paper 1 or Paper 2. the assignment will be source based: the warsaw ghetto.

will that be alot of work? and when i go on the aqa site to download the specification, i think it says history A and history B, or something.....?? :confused:
anon53
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I wuold say go for History - although as I have bo experience of Geogaraphy,I am not in an informed position to comment on it. Perhaps you could ask the teachers at your school what each course actuall involved as it is not uncommon for different schools to be studying different parts of history (or geog) depending on the syllabus. I think Geogaeraphy is more coursework based then History.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (145)
45.74%
Pro-humanity (172)
54.26%