Turn on thread page Beta

Caught covering smoke detector in my room in halls?!? watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically during a random house inspection one of the residential assistants went into my room and found a sock covering my fire alarm, which according to her means I could get kicked out of halls

I did have and excuse for it being on their which will hopefully help me, although I still obviously was wrong to do it

So anyone know what is likely to happen if in my meeting with university tomorrow?, and would i be kicked out for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt10101)
    Basically during a random house inspection one of the residential assistants went into my room and found a sock covering my fire alarm, which according to her means I could get kicked out of halls

I did have and excuse for it being on their which will hopefully help me, although I still obviously was wrong to do it

So anyone know what is likely to happen if in my meeting with university tomorrow?, and would i be kicked out for it
    What was the excuse? and was it the real reason?

ReputationRep:

What was your excuse?

It's unlikely you'll get kicked out - but they're probably entitled to, it's a clear breach of fire safety and is against the law as well as against the contract you signed when you entered halls.

I don't think you'll get kicked out, though.

ReputationRep:
    Whatever you do, be contrite not mouthy about why it's okay. You broke the rules (and in doing so violated your insurance policy if e.g. your cigarette started a fire and the smoke detector didn't go off): if you try to pretend that somehow they don't apply to you then the wardens will just be irritated by you. We'd probably give you community service tbh unless you're a repeat offender.

ReputationRep:
    the excuse is that my gf put it up when she was lighting incense in my room, and i forgot to take it down (real reason)

My uni usually give out fines to people so i am hoping to just get one of them, as it is my first time in trouble

ReputationRep:
    As others have said, it is unlikely they'll boot you out. But you ought just come clean though, I can't believe you have an acceptable excuse for covering the smoke alarm. Trying to make excuses will just make you look bad.

ReputationRep:
    the excuse is that my gf put it up when she was lighting incense in my room, and i forgot to take it down (real reason)

My uni usually give out fines to people so i am hoping to just get one of them, as it is my first time in trouble
    Right - well incense will certainly be banned in your halls as it is a fire risk.

Tampering with fire equipment is a criminal offence. Your excuse is a pathetic one; it's not a genuine reason by any means.

Go to the meeting, be apologetic, and hopefully you won't get too harsh a punishment.

ReputationRep:
    tbh, that's retarded.
    You seriously think that your girlfriend lighting incense (a fire risk anyway) is an excuse for having a sock over your smoke detector?
    All I can say is try to say as little as possible, because judging you so far you're likely to put your foot in it.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about it - it won't come to much.

ReputationRep:

I find it difficult to believe your excuse will be good enough. I think your uni would prefer you to burn your toast with the detectors working rather than an accidental fire killing you and all your peers in your sleep.

I don't think they will kick you out but you will be chastised for what you did. It was a clear breach of fire safety and against the law. I know you thought it was wrong and hopefully you can arrange for alternative accommodation should the worst happen. I have no idea but a penalty fine could be arranged but again I doubt it.....they have fines for smoking in some uni halls....they may say that you should be fined for that (if you smoke and they can prove it)

Seriously they save lives, my fire marshal instructor would shout this until he was blue in the face!

ReputationRep:
    Tell the truth.

Say you know it was wrong to light incense, and it was wrong to cover the alarm. It's slightly better than them thinking you're a smoker. Maybe instead of incense go for candles, less of a fire risk. Say you know you're completely in the wrong and are sorry.

I really doubt they'd kick you out, it's probably too much hassle. You'll likely just get a fine. Uni fire inspectors love to try and scare you because they get so thrilled when after visiting 100 rooms they finally stumble across an offence.

ReputationRep:
    Covering fire alarms is a health and safety violation of the highest order, they would get into a lot of trouble with the law if they allowed this to slide. So I'd say pack your bags and book a night at the local Travelodge just in case.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry about it. I set fire to my halls kitchen and had no more than a chat on fire safety.

ReputationRep:
    You will get absolutely ********* but that will be it.

ReputationRep:
    Tampering with fire equipment is a criminal offence, I wouldn't be inclined to use that excuse either.

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever seen a burnt-out house? If you had, you would never have covered a smoke alarm in the first place. I went in one once - the stench is unbelievable and the damage is really scary. People always think it will never happen to them and the chances are it won't, but it could and it's not worth the risk.
    By the way, I doubt if you'll be thrown out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n00)
    I wouldn't worry about it. I set fire to my halls kitchen and had no more than a chat on fire safety.
    But that was accidental and you didn't interfere with the smoke detectors etc - i pressume.

The OP may not have set the place on fire but he/his girlfriend who is is responsible for whilst she's in his hall intentionally covered a detector then lit incense which is probably not allowed either.

ReputationRep:
    Tampering with fire safety equipment, warning systems (i.e. fire extinguisher, fire blanket, fire hoses and reels, heat and smoke detection equipment, door closers, fire doors, notices etc.) or maliciously setting off the alarms is a CRIMINAL OFFENCE
    This is what my uni says about this. I'm pretty sure covering a smoke detector so it won't go off, even in your own room, counts as tampering. Doing it at home is stupid doing it in uni halls is illegal

ReputationRep:
    I hope you are chucked out. You committed a criminal act. You're totally irresponsible and shouldn't be anywhere where you can put others at risk.

ReputationRep:
    My uni threw people out of halls for doing that (one of my friends in the very first week), though it seems according to this thread that not many others are so strict.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.