Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Seeing that there are only rough guidelines on how to move to and from the university to another city, i thought we should start a thread with some personal guidelines to transportation at Warwick.

So in your opinion, whats the best way to get from Warwick to London (or any other location for that matter) money-wise, time-wise, and practicality wise.

ReputationRep:
    Train I reckon.
    You can take a train from most cities to Coventry station. You can then take a number 12 bus (pale blue & marked either Uni of Warwick or Leamington Spa) from the station to the University campus. (Bus journey takes roughly half an hour maybe?)

www.nationalrail.co.uk

ReputationRep:
    Megabus often have journeys to London for just over £1. That leaves from Canon Park shopping centre which is about five minutes walk from Claycroft.

Not the best time-wise, but definately the best in terms of leaving campus and cost.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss_Scarlet)
    Train I reckon.
    You can take a train from most cities to Coventry station. You can then take a number 12 bus (pale blue & marked either Uni of Warwick or Leamington Spa) from the station to the University campus. (Bus journey takes roughly half an hour maybe?)

www.nationalrail.co.uk
    And how much time does the trip from coventry to london?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Explorer Dora)
    Megabus often have journeys to London for just over £1. That leaves from Canon Park shopping centre which is about five minutes walk from Claycroft.

Not the best time-wise, but definitely the best in terms of leaving campus and cost.
    The cost a definitely a plus. But how much time does it roughly take for the trip? and does the bus also get you back to the university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IB00)
    I don't know because I don't travel to London... you can check for sure on the website.

I travelled from Crowthorne once, which is also south England and the journey took about 2 hours on the train so it wasn't tooo bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IB00)
    £1.50 for a single on the 12, ~20 minutes.
    Coventry to Tunbridge Wells (via London) return will cost me £12 this weekend - i.e. I can go home for £15 total.

Coventry to London with Virgin Trains takes between 50 minutes to an hour. They sometimes have it timetabled for 80 minutes or so because near Euston they may have to go slow/queue, but generally at night this doesn't happen and you arrive 20 minutes earlier than timetabled.

4-5 trains per hour run from Euston to Coventry, 3 with Virgin, 1 or 2 with London Midland.

And yes, the bus does take you to one of 2 stops at the Westwood campus, 3 stops in the main campus and a few others along the way.

Other tips: The 12 doesn't give change, have exact change - £1.50 for single, £2.90 for return [although I was charged £1.70 for a single to Leam from the Uni the other day :mad:)]

ReputationRep:
    Got Leam to London return for £5 or something..

That may be a one off

ReputationRep:
    I've never actually taken the megabus, but there is one that comes back up to Canon park again. The Erasmus students I lived with in the first year used that method to get to London all the time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nish81)
    wtf, why?
    No idea. And there were 7 of us and I was one of the two who wasn't part of the 5 group daysaver thing.

I'm certain it said maximum single fare = £1.50

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nish81)
    i've heard the trains from leam to london are generally cheaper, but slower too. will have to test that out sometime..
    Cheapest tickets are £3.30 each way with a YP railcard, and they can usually be bought up to one day in advance, though are only valid for that particular train. The earlier you buy the more likely you'll get the exact train you want; when I go home for the weekend I usually book the tickets the Monday before and collect at the station.
    For more flexibility it's £11.80 for an off peak return where you can get any off peak train out and return on any other within a month.
    Trains are between 1h20 and 2 hours (late at night when they stop at random middle-of-nowhere train stations).
    Also to note is that the train goes into Marylebone, for anyone going further on they'll probably need to change stations at London - it's a bit of an annoying station (Bakerloo line only) and not nearly as many trains go to other destinations from there compared to say, Euston or King's Cross.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTallOne)
    No idea. And there were 7 of us and I was one of the two who wasn't part of the 5 group daysaver thing.

I'm certain it said maximum single fare = £1.50
    The maximum single fare in the COVENTRY area is £1.50.
    If you're going into Warwickshire (ie Leamington), they'll charge you more.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.