Turn on thread page Beta

Disclosing mental illness to employers. watch

ReputationRep:
    I have a job interview on Tuesday, do I have to tell them about my illness?
    I see my keyworkers every week and will be with the early intervention team for psychosis for at least 6 months. At the moment my problems are depression, anxiety, and some psychotic and OCD symptoms, though the last two are not really diagnosed, they are just keeping an eye on the symptoms to make sure I don't deteriorate.

Anyway, I really want this job. It is to be a trainee nursery assisstant at a day nursery and I would love to work with children, I did some work at a special school once and I loved it. However, I don't want them to think I'm a dangerous psycho and not employ me for that reason. i feel that if I tell them I might need time off etc they will just employ somebody else, even though I think I would really suit this job and have had experience etc.

Anybody else had this problem, what should I do? :confused:
    Would I get in trouble if I didn't tell them and they found out later?

ReputationRep:
    I think when potentially working with any vulnerable population, it would be in your best interest to tell the employers. If they find out later it will only make things messier for you.

ReputationRep:
    I'd tell them for sure. They'd want to monitor you if only to keep an eye on you so you don't have an episode at work or something.

ReputationRep:
    Technically you are not obliged to disclose at this stage and they should not be asking health related questions during an interview.

However if you are asked to fill in an occupational health assessment form and you fail to disclose there than it gives them grounds for instant dismissal if they were to find out at the later stage.

ReputationRep:
    what belis says ...

also a once again about OH forms the appointing manager should not see them ever ... only the Health Professionals who provide the OH service

ReputationRep:
    I assume that the job you're applying for (working with children) would require a CRB check and a medical record request. It's in your best interests to declare it, and if you don't they'll find out another way, and that'll count against you moreso than if you declared it in the first place. I hope that makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    yes you should tell them, you are going for a job working with kids, i would have thought common sense would have kicked in and made you realise you need to tell them

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 11, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.