Turn on thread page Beta

How do you make vegetables taste nice? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I want to be a bit healthier and eat more fruit and veg.

Fruit is fine, but most vegetables are just....eeeeeeeeeeew to me.

What can I do to my veg to make them taste nice? Anybody else who doesnt like veg found a way to make it more consumable?

Any help much appreciated
    SuperSam_Fantastiche

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any particular vegetables in mind?

Last week I got fed roasted carrots, I hate carrots usually but they were quite nice. They were mixed with some olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard and some herbs and were actually quite nice :nooo:

You could make vegetable curry and whack a load of things in like carrot, potato, okra, spinach, cauliflower. Whatever you fancy really.

For salads and stuff, there's a million different leaves you could put in other than lettuce, like lambs lettuce, rocket, spinach etc. and loads of different salad dressings that you could smother them with.

ReputationRep:
    deep fry :coma:

ReputationRep:
    Put them in soups.
    The more kinds of veg the less dominant each individual taste. Often a mix of them is nice. I hear celery works well in soups, but celery by itself is blugh.
    Sprouts roasted with some nut meggy type stuff sounds good.
    Sometimes vegetables are nicer raw.

ReputationRep:
    I like some veggies, mostly sweetcorn, garden peas (but they have to be Bird's Eye - how lame is that :p:) I like spinach, lettuce, different types of beans and stuff. I want to be able to stomach carrots, parsnips, califlower and brocoli, y'know, proper veg xD

I feel like im compensating for my lack of veggies in my dinners with extra carbs which is probably the reason why I'm so fat.

ReputationRep:
    make soup. soup is amazing! that's how i get my 5 a day..

you can put loads of different vegetables in and add things to make it taste nicer.. and then blend it up so you don't have to eat the specific vegetable.

edit: damn it, too late.
    loook up some recipes online and try different things?

ReputationRep:
    I love vagetables lol
    Cauliflour cheese
    You can add cabbage and onions with mash potatoes, and shallow fry them - bubble amd squeak
    You can cut celery and carrots into thin slices and dip in low fat mayo
    Soup, as previous posts say, is quick and healthy, and you can add whatever you want into it
    Veg stir fry, with noodles
    You can also add herbs/spices onto roasted veg and serve with potatoes and meat

ReputationRep:
    CHEESE! Like cauliflower cheese, but you can do it with other veg too. Not exactly healthy though :/

Maybe try vegetable lasagne as well. My friend who hates vegetables once tried it and she said it was quite nice.

ReputationRep:
    Add sugar. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I never understood people not liking vegetables at all, I've known a few people who don't and I just can't see why! They're all so different, they don't taste the same. I don't see how they can dislike such a large group of foods all together. Alas. Soup is a good option! I love vegetable soup, you can't really pick out the taste of any vegetable in it in particular, it's quite an individual flavour when they all come together. Raw carrots are good too.. I personally prefer them raw rather than cooked, nice with dips and whatnot.

ReputationRep:
    Cheese and butter?

Or I fry them with soy sauce and garlic sometimes, not sure how healthy that is though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by catoutofthebag)
    CHEESE! Like cauliflower cheese, but you can do it with other veg too. Not exactly healthy though :/

Maybe try vegetable lasagne as well. My friend who hates vegetables once tried it and she said it was quite nice.
    I second this. Cauliflower cheese is nice. You could add other veg to the dish too so you get more vitamins and what not.

My brother dislikes carrots and peas, I managed to get him to have some when I made vegetable lasagne though which he said was acceptable.

I second all the posts saying soup as well, particularly since you can add a lot of vegetables to that and it's probably healthier than smothering them in cheese like in the above ideas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natasha_c)
    Cheese and butter?

Or I fry them with soy sauce and garlic sometimes, not sure how healthy that is though...
    It's got to be healthier than never eating veg at all.

Shove in some chicken and rice/noodles and you have yourself a stir fry! Mmmmmm.

ReputationRep:
    You don't. Omg I hate vegetables. I don't like any. Not even sweetcorn or peas.

Hate every single one of them.

ReputationRep:
    I love vegetables :love: I don't understand you! :eek3:

I suggest you add veg to meals such as lasagne or bolognese so there is flavour around the vegetables so you don't taste them too much :dontknow:

Also, if you force yourself to eat them several times alone you will eventually get used to the taste or even like them :top:

ReputationRep:
    I make green smoothies - Google it. I'll make a normal fruit smoothie, then shove loads of baby spinach in it, maybe a bit of apple juice to sweeten things up, and hey presto. It goes a lovely, bright green and you seriously can't taste the veg. I think you can use kale and lettuce too, and I know Innocent did a smoothie that included beetroot - it was the most gorgeous colour!

The blender is your friend. I make soup and just thrash it up in my blender so it isn't all... chunky, because the texture is what I hate most about veg! Shove some herbs and spices in too and a bit of veg stock.

Also, chopping them up really tiny might be a good idea, so they're less conspicuous. Fry them in a bit of olive oil and some sort of herb or spice and mix them in with pasta, rice, noodles, whatever you like.

ReputationRep:
    add a bit of salt... makes them soooo lovely
    or if you still can't stand them,
    cook 'em in curry, pasta sauces, blend into soups

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche)
    Hi all,

I want to be a bit healthier and eat more fruit and veg.

Fruit is fine, but most vegetables are just....eeeeeeeeeeew to me.

What can I do to my veg to make them taste nice? Anybody else who doesnt like veg found a way to make it more consumable?

Any help much appreciated
    SuperSam_Fantastiche
    Some of the ideas of making soups are good but if you want to eat them as an accompaniment to a meal have you thought about roasting them?

I often make medeterranean roasted veg. Usually I used a red pepper, red onion and courgette for this, but you can experiment with other thing. Chop them all up, toss in a little olive oil, crush two garlic cloves, season with salt and pepper and basil or oregano and then roast for about 25 mins on 200 degrees. Yummy!:yep:

ReputationRep:
    Lots and lots of herbs?

ReputationRep:
    I'd suggest what most other people have on here.
    Roasted veggies are fab! I normall chop up some carrots, parsnips, sweet potato, courgette, squash and whatever other veg we have in the house. Then you drizzle them with a bit of oil, season then shove them in the oven.

Also although not entirely healthy, parsnip and peanut butter soup is really nice if you like peanut butter!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.