Turn on thread page Beta

How do you make vegetables taste nice? watch

ReputationRep:
    Find someone who knows how to cook.

ReputationRep:
    Have you tied a vegetable stir-fry? That's really nice.
    Roasted vegetables are great too.

And as people have said, soups and smoothies.

ReputationRep:
    Stir fry them. Usually it tastes a lot better if you put a tiny bit of salt in, but since you want to be healthier, I don't think salt would be a good idea.
    Only stir fry for a few minutes though, because if you overdo it, whatever your cooking method, the nutrients tend to go bye bye.

ReputationRep:
    vegetable curry! shallow fry some onions, ginger and garlic, then add in ground cumin, ground coriander, tumeric and garam masala (+chilli powder if you like it spicy) add a little water (or veg stock) stir in your veggies and leave to simmer for 30 mins. top with fresh coriander.

roasted veg is DELICIOUS - just toss any veggies in a little olive oil, salt and pepper (herbs if you like - butternut squash and cumin..mmm) and roast at 210 C for 30-40 mins.

also, can't go wrong with stir fry and salads when there are lots of sauces and dressings to choose from.

happy cooking!

ReputationRep:
    add salt

ReputationRep:
    Do not overcook them. Almost all veg is nasty overcooked.

ReputationRep:
    Parsnips and butternut squash taste lush drizzled with a bit of honey and roasted :sogood:
    Try boiling butternut squash, pumpkin or sweet potato, mashing them and then adding either spices and salt or sugar - YUMMMMM

ReputationRep:
    roast them! its amazing, this thread has made me want to go make veg crisps

ReputationRep:
    add steak

ReputationRep:
    steamed :coma:

steamed broccoli :coma: OMG BONER

ReputationRep:
    Get my mum to cook them :awesome:

Or just dip crudites in houmous, so yummy

Yay for ebing healthy!

ReputationRep:
    Don't boil them into nothingness. That is one way to ruin the flavour.
    Although I think vegetables taste nice as they are.

ReputationRep:
    Im the same! I really wish I liked vegetable.... but I just dont.

However, at christmas I roasted some carrots with honey, olive oil, some herbs that I cant remember (maybe rosemary/thyme) and cracked black pepper. Actually amazing.

ReputationRep:
    Buy really fresh and local vegetables and they should speak for themselves...

As everyone else has said, roasted veg is really nice, so is boiling veg and making a flavoured butter and adding it right at the end(after you've drained the water) but I suppose adding butter defeats the object of being healthier.

Another nice way is making soups and adding various spices: try butternut squash with chilli and cinnamon, roast the squash in an oven until soft, blend it (take the skin off) add some onions, carrot, chilli flakes and powder, cinnamon and blend with some veg stock. *****innnnnnnn'.

But yeah, vegetables are fantastic because they are so versatile. Just experiment with what everyone has said, you'll like at least one of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rimipie)
    steamed

steamed broccoli OMG BONER
    I'm with you there! :coma:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    I'm with you there! :coma:
    with CHEEEEESE ON TOP!
    im gonna go make some now :coma:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rimipie)
    with CHEEEEESE ON TOP!
    im gonna go make some now
    :hmmm: No cheese!

ReputationRep:
    Roast; stir-fry with a bit of sesame oil and soy sauce; soups (butternut squash is a personal favourite, and it's very healthy).

On a personal note:
    cauliflower, or broccoli, cheese; roasted parsnips, broccoli, peppers, squashes and onions; butternut squash soup (I think it's Weight Watchers, originally), and vegetable stir-fry are all amazing. Not a massive fan of smoothies, though, to be honest. I love salads where you just throw everything (lettuce, tomato, cucumber, egg, sweetcorn and a bit of cheese) together, but that doesn't do much to disguise the vegetable taste.

ReputationRep:
    If you find Broccoli bland by itself, but love cheese, you could try melting "Velveeta" and using it as a dip. That's why alot of people use salad dressings, like ranch or ceasar to sort of disguise the natural flavor of vegetables like celery, cauliflower, lettus and maybe squashes. Of course the dressings will probably be fairly high in carbs(?) so you'd probably want to use them in moderation if you're counting.

ReputationRep:
    put them in burgers

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.