Turn on thread page Beta

Is it wrong to spend more money on a mate than you do on your girlfriend? watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically last night my girlfriend found out that I spent more money on a gift for a female friend than i did for her birthday. At first i told her she was fussing over nothing but now im actually wondering if i was wrong. In my defence, this friend is one 3 friends that im close with and in the past money has never been an issue between me and my girlfriend.

So i was just wondering was it wrong for me to spend more money on a friedn than for my girlfriend and if so what can i do.

Not if she's a close friend that you would normally spend money on for birthday presents, especially if you've known her much longer than your girlfriend.

ReputationRep:
    Not wrong, but I can see why she'd get upset. If you only spent money on that friend, but effort on your girlfriend, it balances out.

ReputationRep:
    :no: there's no right and wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Surely you can see why she's getting upset.

It's not wrong, but may be difficult to justify.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_LiNk_x)
    Surely you can see why she's getting upset.

It's not wrong, but may be difficult to justify.
    +1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BOBO777)
    So i was just wondering was it wrong for me to spend more money on a friedn than for my girlfriend and if so what can i do.
    What were the presents? What was the difference in price?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simsimsim)
    What were the presents? What was the difference in price?
    I was just going to say that!

If, for example, you spent £100 on your friend and bought her gorgeous jewellery and flowers, and just got your girlfriend a cheap box of chocolate and some smelly stuff then yeah, I can see why she'd be upset.

ReputationRep:
    It isn't wrong to spend more on a friend than your girlfriend. The price wouldn't be an issue for me but if my bf bought any of his best mates (ones a girl) lots of thoughtful gifts but then just gave me a box of chocolates I would be upset.
    So it depends what the gifts were.

ReputationRep:
    It's neither right nor wrong to spend more on a friend than your girlfriend. As long as you thought your girlfriend would like your gift then that is all that matters, not how much money you spent on it. Did you put a lot of thought into the gift for your girlfriend? I know that presents are a poor measure of affection, but I can understand her annoyance if you obviously didn't care.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it was wrong.

ReputationRep:
    How much did you spend on each?

ReputationRep:
    i would be miffed if my bf spent more on a female mate than me but then again i have been with him 8 and a half years and we are engaged

also it depends what the gift for the friend was for cause you dont say in your post, was it a bday gift or just a random gift, if it was a bday gift it would be understandable (but i still would go ape **** over it) if it was a random gift i would go more ape ****

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on what you got really.

If you spent more money on the friend because you got her more, that's a bit unfair. If it's just because the perfect gift for your girlfriend happened to cost less, then who cares?

I think I spent less on my bf for Christmas than other people this year purely because the stuff I wanted to get for him happened to be cheaper. That didn't mean I cared about him less, it was just how much the right gifts cost.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't have liked it tbh..but like others have said, depends on the price difference and what the gifts were.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 8, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.