Turn on thread page Beta

Don't have any relevant internships... is there time to fit one in during my MSc? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I just graduated with a BSc (in the Netherlands) and am (hopefully) going to do an MSc in Finance and Investments at the Rotterdam School of Management starting in September.

I want to work in IB in the city once I graduate. I was hoping that this 6 month period between now and September would allow me to do a relevant internship, but after trying many options nothing has panned out. I realise that no bulge bracket firm will hire me without relevant experience (I did work as a software developer for 2.5 years and ran my own hardware sales business for > 1 year).

Are there any opportunities to do an internship at an IB during my master's program (perhaps in the winter or spring)? What about doing a summer internship once I graduate, is that possible?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    anyone?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not one of the IB kids, but I'd say that:

1. It may be possible to get a summer internship on the premise that you're a 'penultimate year' student. Given that your final year will be a Master's, and you're already graduated, however, this might be difficult.

2. With enough networking you may be able to land a slightly more ad hoc internship at a smaller, possibly boutique firm.

ReputationRep:
    The BB deadlines are gone, so you'll have to network like crazy in order to get into a smaller firm. Maybe try e-financial et al to get a proper full time job as an assistant or something. They don't need to know that you will be leacing for a masters...

You can also try getting into a 2 year masters and having a go at next year summer internships.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm the future doesn't look too bright.

What are the prospects for someone who doesn't have relevant experience in the IB banking industry? Obviously no one will hire me right away, but is it possible to work at some small firm for a couple of years and then transfer into IB?

ReputationRep:
    look for off-cycle internships.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies. I've spent the last few days looking for small investment banks in Europe. I'm sending unsolicited internship applications to all of them (most don't have formal programs, so I just find a senior member of staff and mail it to them).

ReputationRep:
    Regarding sending unsolicited offers, who do you guys suggest contacting?
    The highest executives may simply be too busy to read my email or to care, while HR employees, for example, may ignore my email as they don't advertise internship positions.
    Furthermore is it a good idea to email 2 or more members of staff simultaneously (such as the head of investment banking and the deputy head)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SilverBack567)
    Regarding sending unsolicited offers, who do you guys suggest contacting?
    The highest executives may simply be too busy to read my email or to care, while HR employees, for example, may ignore my email as they don't advertise internship positions.
    Furthermore is it a good idea to email 2 or more members of staff simultaneously (such as the head of investment banking and the deputy head)?
    Email the senior guys then follow up with a call.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 11, 2010
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.