Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Rejected by Manchester, Accepted by Cambridge watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I'm an international from Australia so I don't really get a lot of the university stuff in the UK, but I was just wondering why this happened? I only wanted to go to Cambridge so I just filled in my other 4 UCAS choices with some random unis (Durham, City, York, Manchester), they all accepted me except for Manchester, and of course I got no explanation. I was just wondering why this is? Is Manchester particularly picky? My Personal Statement could have been better but my predicted grades were perfect, could that have caused it? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Why are you bothered?

Surely you wanted to go Cambridge rather than Manchester?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StormStryke)
    Hi everyone, I'm an international from Australia so I don't really get a lot of the university stuff in the UK, but I was just wondering why this happened? I only wanted to go to Cambridge so I just filled in my other 4 UCAS choices with some random unis (Durham, City, York, Manchester), they all accepted me except for Manchester, and of course I got no explanation. I was just wondering why this is? Is Manchester particularly picky? My Personal Statement could have been better but my predicted grades were perfect, could that have caused it? Thanks!
    Historically, UoManchester hate Australians..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StormStryke)
    Different universities value different grades (particularly if you're an international student!) different, as well as valuing things like personal statement and extra-curricular stuff with different weightings.

If you got in to your other four unis - including Cambridge - then you've certainly had a successful application process and can't really complain.

If you want feedback about your Manchester application you can contact the university - probably the admissions tutor for the subject you applied for is best - and politely ask them.

Congratulations on your great offers!
    James

ReputationRep:
    No, Manchester isn't "picky". Just email them and find out. If you've already done that, boo hoo- it's only UoM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_LiNk_x)
    Why are you bothered?

Oh yeah I do definitely want Cambridge over Manchester but I'd still just like to know why! Our system is very different in Australia, here all the universities wait until your marks come out and then if you get a pre-determined mark for your course you get in no questions asked.

(Original post by AlexMith)
    Haha I'm hoping this is a joke but I honestly have no idea

ReputationRep:
    Just email Manchester and say "I am going to Cambridge, na na na na na na!!!"

ReputationRep:
    It's obvious isn't it? You're not good enough for Manchester based on the criteria they value. Just because Oxford/Cambridge may think you're right for them it doesn't entitle you to an offer from every other university in the country. In their eyes, you must just not be a worthy candidate.

:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PurpleMonkeyDishwasher)
    It's obvious isn't it? You're not good enough for Manchester based on the criteria they value. Just because Oxford/Cambridge may think you're right for them it doesn't entitle you to an offer from every other university in the country. In their eyes, you must just not be a worthy candidate.

:dontknow:
    This.

I'm surprised and glad that no one has yet come out with, "Oh, Manchester probably rejected you because they suspected you'd get an offer from Cambridge and not bother with them."

ReputationRep:
    Oh, Manchester probably rejected you because they suspected you'd get an offer from Cambridge and not bother with them.

ReputationRep:
    Well my Personal Statement was a bit rubbish (I had no idea how to write one and after speaking to some British students I realised I didn't do it right) but I was predicted the equivalent of 6 A*s at A2 (I do IB). Predictions are always generous and I ended up with about 5 A*s but still why would they hate me enough to reject me anyway?

ReputationRep:
    Their loss. Forward them a copy of your Cambridge acceptance letter :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexMith)
    But the vice chancellor is australian

ReputationRep:
    That bit at the bottom of you PS talking about how much of an Arsenal fan you are musta dunnit.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by PurpleMonkeyDishwasher)
    It's obvious isn't it? You're not good enough for Manchester based on the criteria they value.
    Hmmm he applied for Music so maybe his performance side wasn't up to scratch. But he exceeded the AAB offer by a fair amount... If he applied for the Music course with the RNCM (extra year thingy) included then it is actually one of the most competitive to get in to at Manchester.

But tbh if he can get in to the Cambridge music course then I can't really see what criteria Manchester could base their rejection on...

ReputationRep:
    you have instilled me with great hope for my upcoming manchester interview...

thanks..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_LiNk_x)
    Why are you bothered?

Precisely

ReputationRep:
    You must have the stuck up snobby attitude that Manchester don't like... but would make you perfect for Cambridge :p:

maybe I shouldn't have posted this on the Cambridge forum

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vikid)
    But the vice chancellor is australian
    Maybe he likes being a token australian .. or maybe he moved to the UK to escape the australian accent, that's not unreasonable.

ReputationRep:
    Manchester is a joke.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.