Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Rejected by Manchester, Accepted by Cambridge Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-o dore)
    Hmmm he applied for Music so maybe his performance side wasn't up to scratch. But he exceeded the AAB offer by a fair amount... If he applied for the Music course with the RNCM (extra year thingy) included then it is actually one of the most competitive to get in to at Manchester.

But tbh if he can get in to the Cambridge music course then I can't really see what criteria Manchester could base their rejection on...
    I agree my performance isn't top-notch but most unis don't care about this. And I didn't apply for the extra year thingy.

(Original post by anotheregostar)
    Maybe he likes being a token australian .. or maybe he moved to the UK to escape the australian accent, that's not unreasonable.
    Hey our accent is nice ok ... I didn't meet a single person in Cambridge who could tell that I wasn't British. No-one actually talks like Steve Irwin or the Crocodile Dundee. (And I'm gonna be at John's next year you might find out )

(Original post by CapitalismRocks)
    Manchester is a joke.
    Is this actually the general opinion in the UK?

ReputationRep:
    Each university judges it's students independently. It's not like there's some rating system where if you make it into Cambridge you'll automatically be accepted for any 'lesser' uni too. Granted, usually it works out that way, but there are always exceptions. For all you know you could be in the bottom end of Cambridge's accepted students, and in the top end of Manchester's rejected students, so it isn't really an issue of Manchester being crazy for rejecting you. I don't see why you're even making it into an issue

ReputationRep:
    My friend got an offer from Cambridge for Vetmed and not for Nottingham, and she's like a supersuper genius

ReputationRep:
    People. Stop being so serious and accept the irony of the situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StormStryke)
    Is this actually the general opinion in the UK?
    No, it's a troll's opinion. Manchester is usually ranked ~25th best in the world (meaning it would only be beaten by one Australian university, by the way), it's obviously not considered to be a joke.

As for the main question of your thread, universities have different criteria, you didn't match up to Manchester's. Email them for more feedback. UK universities are horrendously oversubscribed, a rejection doesn't mean they 'hate' you, it just means there were better candidates. Unless you're suggesting that you're the best possible candidate for every university, I don't see what your problem is.

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine has also been rejected from Manchester and York after being offered a place by Oxford. Quite unusual!

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha Universities don't reject people because they 'hate' them!

Each university is different and they pick people obviously based on personal statement and academics but also based on who they think would fit in best and excel at their university. They obviously just didn't get that impression from you.

Manchester is also a very good university just obviously not as highly ranked as oxbridge.

You shouldn't take it so personally by anyone's standards 4/5 offers is pretty fab!

But indeed it is quite ironic Congrats on all your other offers!

ReputationRep:
    I was just curious because I thought maybe there'd be a common reason for this or something but I guess if I want to know specifically I'd have to ask them. I just don't really feel like contacting a university that rejected me, you know? Especially when I had no intention of going there and they probably wouldn't even remember the specific reason of why they rejected me.

And obviously it's a silly assumption that just because Cambridge wants you that Manchester does too, but so did Durham and York and City, I can understand Manchester wanting something different to Oxbridge but to those others too? I guess I'm used to a system where the only criteria for entry into uni is your marks.

ReputationRep:

Hey our accent is nice ok ... I didn't meet a single person in Cambridge who could tell that I wasn't British. No-one actually talks like Steve Irwin or the Crocodile Dundee. (And I'm gonna be at John's next year you might find out )

?
    Heh I'm allowed to say it because I'm australian too where abouts in australia are you from?

ReputationRep:
    Congrats =)

ReputationRep:
    As already mentioned, UK universities are horrendously oversubscribed, and I think Manchester is a popular choice for many people (not that Cambridge isn’t), many people apply because they like the thought of living in the ‘big city;’ Manchester is gaining the image of being quite ‘chique’ (lord knows why) and cosmopolitan, and this entices a lot of applicants. Of course, many people apply because of the uni’s academic reputation as well, and when you combine the two it's not difficult to see why it's so popular.

I applied to do history at Manchester and was rejected, but accepted at York. I never received a letter or a reason either, I only found out via the UCAS website.

I wouldn’t take it personally. It’ll have nothing to do with your personality, and I highly doubt it stems from any form of prejudice on their part.

By the way, congrats on getting into your choice of uni! Hope you have a good 3 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anotheregostar)
    Heh I'm allowed to say it because I'm australian too where abouts in australia are you from?
    No way another Australian starting at John's in 2010? There's no way we'll miss each other ... I'm from Sydney, just finished year 12 a few months ago. Where are you from? *Please don't say Melbourne*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Formula 1)
    Precisely
    Quick question - why do you have your KS2 & KS3 grades in your sig? Do unis look at those? lol :L

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I'm an international from Australia so I don't really get a lot of the university stuff in the UK, but I was just wondering why this happened? I only wanted to go to Cambridge so I just filled in my other 4 UCAS choices with some random unis (Durham, City, York, Manchester), they all accepted me except for Manchester, and of course I got no explanation. I was just wondering why this is? Is Manchester particularly picky? My Personal Statement could have been better but my predicted grades were perfect, could that have caused it? Thanks!
    I was rejected from them too - on Christmas day. I didn't really know what to think because they were giving interviews with lower GCSE grades and lower predicted A2 grades etc. So I e-mailed the department that I applied to (dentistry) and asked for feedback. They sent me a letter explaining that it was because I had "less outside interests" than others. (I mean, we only have 57 lines to write our PS in and all, but you know). So it's their loss - obviously you've got amazing predicted grades and you're a great candidate, but it seems to me they are looking more for the people with good extra curricular than good grades, so their loss. It's just gonna make their academic standards slip in the long run. Yes I sound a bit bitter, I'm just a bit cheesed off still that they did it on Christmas day :P

Anyway sorry for the rant and good luck with the rest of your application, you don't need UoManchester anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AreYouExperienced?)
    you have instilled me with great hope for my upcoming manchester interview...

thanks..

really dont worry about it, Manchester are actually really lenient with most admissions. whats the interview for?

ReputationRep:
    Probably because the St John's, Oxford team that knocked out the Manchester team on University Challenge last week included an Australian.

ReputationRep:
    T-o dore said that you applied for Music. The thing is that there are many dedicated music schools in the UK. The Guardian ranks Cambridge 9th in the UK for Music: http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...ty-guide-music
    however The Times ranks Cambridge 2nd so you may want to accept The Times findings!:
    http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_...ub=46&x=19&y=9

As Manchester is 4th on the Times league table (yes, I know that league tables are not everything- or anything - to people), and The Times ranks Manchester's research quality as higher than the universities above it, Manchester may feel that it is a good position to not make an offer to most candidates at all, unless they strongly show that they particularly want to go to Manchester (which applying for Cambridge may not necessarily show). As you have been accepted at the university that you said you definitely want to go to, I don't think that it would be a good idea to contact Manchester to ask exactly why they rejected you. I know everyone has to make multiple choices but, from their perspective, it could be seen as wasting a bit of their time for curiousity's sake. Best wishes for Cambridge!

ReputationRep:
    lol Manchester fail

ReputationRep:
    Well my Personal Statement was a bit rubbish (I had no idea how to write one and after speaking to some British students I realised I didn't do it right) but I was predicted the equivalent of 6 A*s at A2 (I do IB). Predictions are always generous and I ended up with about 5 A*s but still why would they hate me enough to reject me anyway?
    Sorry, but I think you're troll'ing... Shouldn't IB have their own prediction points (eg 38, 7 7 7) rather than A-levels? (you don't equate them to you?)... sorry, just pointing out the fallacy here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loopykitten!)
    really dont worry about it, Manchester are actually really lenient with most admissions. whats the interview for?
    Biology, how come, did you have an interview there as well?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.