The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
CapitalismRocks

Manchester is a joke.

dickwad
Reply 41
lauram992
Quick question - why do you have your KS2 & KS3 grades in your sig? Do unis look at those? lol :L

lol no its just for jokes, sorry :p:
StormStryke
No way another Australian starting at John's in 2010? There's no way we'll miss each other ... I'm from Sydney, just finished year 12 a few months ago. Where are you from? *Please don't say Melbourne*

Sydney too! I've been living in the UK for a few years. What ya studying at Cambridge then?
Reply 43
manthew
Sorry, but I think you're troll'ing... Shouldn't IB have their own prediction points (eg 38, 7 7 7) rather than A-levels? (you don't equate them to you?)... sorry, just pointing out the fallacy here

No I totally agree, the IB converts very favourably to the UCAS tariff, but that's what it says. It is a bit ridiculous really.

anotheregostar
Sydney too! I've been living in the UK for a few years. What ya studying at Cambridge then?

No way where in Sydney are you from? *Please don't say the Shire* Inner West for life lol! I'm starting Music, really looking forward to it. Not sure if you'd know this but nearly all the universities in Australia have a rubbish reputation for music. Probably the best place (Sydney Conservatorium) has been turned into a battlefield of those for and against their new allegedly criminal and plagiarising dean. And I'm big on academics so Cambridge was a natural choice for me! Any advice for an Australian about to make the adjustment (and I'm 17 =S)
Reply 44
jonnykermode
A friend of mine has also been rejected from Manchester and York after being offered a place by Oxford. Quite unusual!

Do you know which course that was?
StormStryke
No I totally agree, the IB converts very favourably to the UCAS tariff, but that's what it says. It is a bit ridiculous really.

No way where in Sydney are you from? *Please don't say the Shire* Inner West for life lol! I'm starting Music, really looking forward to it. Not sure if you'd know this but nearly all the universities in Australia have a rubbish reputation for music. Probably the best place (Sydney Conservatorium) has been turned into a battlefield of those for and against their new allegedly criminal and plagiarising dean. And I'm big on academics so Cambridge was a natural choice for me! Any advice for an Australian about to make the adjustment (and I'm 17 =S)

Not the shire, but the Northern Beaches :biggrin: yeah, you made the right choice, you don't get much better than Cambridge, did you have to come over for interview or just a telephone interview? You'll probably find the UK pretty cheap compared to Sydney, but the thing I miss the most about Australia is definitely the food - I'd do anything for a rainbow paddle pop or fruit roll up :drool:
AreYouExperienced?
Biology, how come, did you have an interview there as well?

I didnt have to have an interview for my course but my boyfriend did. They basically let everybody in when we came lol, but do take it seriously, i tried to get into the biology department on a course transfer but that didn't work out. Still at manchester but a different department, so i cant say how your interview will go.
loopykitten!
I didnt have to have an interview for my course but my boyfriend did. They basically let everybody in when we came lol, but do take it seriously, i tried to get into the biology department on a course transfer but that didn't work out. Still at manchester but a different department, so i cant say how your interview will go.

ah merci pour the info, i'll def take it seriously, definite firm choice :smile:
Reply 48
anotheregostar
Not the shire, but the Northern Beaches :biggrin: yeah, you made the right choice, you don't get much better than Cambridge, did you have to come over for interview or just a telephone interview? You'll probably find the UK pretty cheap compared to Sydney, but the thing I miss the most about Australia is definitely the food - I'd do anything for a rainbow paddle pop or fruit roll up :drool:

Northern Beaches are nice! I beat you get so much "Oh you live in Summer Bay!?" But yeah I think I made the right choice. I came over for interviews like everyone else in December, and spent about a week in Cambridge. I could never have committed to somewhere for 3 years if I'd never been there! And I actually kind of hate Australian food (especially paddle pops and rool-ups!) so it sounds perfect for me! What course are you doing?
StormStryke
Northern Beaches are nice! I beat you get so much "Oh you live in Summer Bay!?" But yeah I think I made the right choice. I came over for interviews like everyone else in December, and spent about a week in Cambridge. I could never have committed to somewhere for 3 years if I'd never been there! And I actually kind of hate Australian food (especially paddle pops and rool-ups!) so it sounds perfect for me! What course are you doing?

yeah a little bit :smile: ha that's like blasphemy! Rainbow paddle popsare probably one of the things I miss most! Do you have an unconditional? I'm doing Anglo saxon norse and celtic, which no one's ever heard of, ha.
You do realise 53,000 applications were made to Manchester last year (probably higher this year), don't you? They'll always reject people that could go there but they don't want.
These things are strange sometimes - I was rejected by Warwick and given an offer from the LSE.

Unless you're rendered unable to sleep not knowing why Manchester didn't want you, best just to let it go and appreciate your four other really good offers. :smile:
Reply 52
anotheregostar
yeah a little bit :smile: ha that's like blasphemy! Rainbow paddle popsare probably one of the things I miss most! Do you have an unconditional? I'm doing Anglo saxon norse and celtic, which no one's ever heard of, ha.

Not unconditional, but when they decided on my offer IB results weren't out yet, but by the time I got the offer, they were, and I met it. So it's kind of like unconditional now, although they didn't change it officially on UCAS (other unis did). I have heard of ASNC, but just because it's so unusual! It actually sounds really interesting, but I would have done like 10 subjects at uni if I could have (Law, Economics, ASNC, French, English Literature, Physics ...)

Anyway I've decided there is no point wondering about Manchester, I just wanted to know what was weak about my application and maybe how to improve my image for postrgrad applications, that was all. I guess a lot of it is random chance as well which no-one can predict!
Picnic1
Do you know which course that was?

Medicine. One of the more competitive courses!
Reply 54
jonnykermode

jonnykermode

That's one of the 3 courses that I guessed it would be - Law, Medicine or, to some extent, English. They are all very popular so universities will have so little trouble filling places than they can afford to reject people who are accepted at Oxbridge. Many other people on those courses will have grades that could have got them in to Oxbridge too.
Reply 55
I know this is an old thread, but might help people looking at it in future - Manchester's music course has higher performance requirements than Cambridge -grade 8 preferably distinction in main instrument plus at least grade 6 in piano. Cambridge asks for "some facility at the keyboard". I think the reputations are that Cambridge is a strictly academic music course (although their website does now clearly stress the practical aspects) whereas Manchester is much more flexible, but Manchester also came above Cambridge for music research in the 2008RAE (50% v 45% top rated). Unfortunately I think this thread is another one which continues the myth that Oxbridge must always be best in every subject.
Reply 56
Yes, for Music and Politics Cambridge isn't all that.