Turn on thread page Beta

Choices- Nottingham, Leicester, Lancaster, Exeter and Sussex watch

ReputationRep:
    I did post this earlier in the more specific subforum but only got 1 reply after a while.

Ive applied to all these uni's to do film studies but dont know which one to choose. If anyone could tell what they thought of the course at any on these uni's that would be helpful. Or even some pros and cons of some of them.

I have an offer from nottingham so far, and a letter from Leicester and Lancaster telling me to come to an open day for the department ( they say they recommended to admissions i should be offered a place). Also i got a letter from exeter saying i have been given a place but no further details on what the offer is

Ive only seen Notts so far and really liked it and im planning to see the rest if i get offers.

ReputationRep:
    I do psychology rather than film studies, but I'm at Sussex and know of a few people who do film and they seem to enjoy it. From what I've heard, the media and film department is rated pretty highly and the facilities are apparently pretty good. I've never actually been in the building, mind, but I've never heard any complaints.

As for the actual universities themselves - it's really up to you. I'm assuming you're a fan of campuses given your choice, and if that's the case then I'd say Notts is probably the best based on that, but again that's personal choice. Sussex is sort of the campus university for people who wouldn't usually like campuses due to the need to go into town for real entertainment/nights out, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's very green and pretty in the summer, though the architecture is not exactly.. beautiful. We have most things you'd need on a campus (couple of shops, a newsagent, a couple of bars) but it's certainly not comparable to the likes of Notts. It's also much more expensive here than it is to live at any of your other choices, so that might be something to consider. Accommodation, for example, is not much cheaper than London!

But yeah, it's definitely best to visit everywhere before you make a decision.

ReputationRep:
    A few of my friends are Film Studies students here in Leicester, from what i've heard the department is pretty decent, and the options for second year very attractive. The institute itself is undergoing a major overhaul (lots of funding coming our way), so expect to see Leicester climbing the rankings (from 15 currently).

In regard to Nottingham, I can concurr with the statement above, it's campus really is unrivaled, and again, it is an excellent institute. So is Exeter for that matter.

I wouldn't formulate an opinion based upon student on here, pick a few that have caught your eye, and spend a day or so looking around the city, speaking to members of the department.
    If I had to pick three, i'd go with Nottingham, Leicester and Exeter.

ReputationRep:
    I would go to Nottingham as it has the best reputation of those you have listed, and the campus, location ect is best IMO. Therefore a win-win

Also from what I understand it has a TV recording studio at one of its campuses, and some one who did film at Notts told me that the CEO of FOX went to Nottingham, and has set up some sort of internship with the university where students work in LA, which sounds pretty cool if you want to go into the industry

ReputationRep:
    yeah the internship only has 2 spaces so that will be really competitive.

tbh nottingham is the most likely choice for me as they have practically given me an unconditional offer. ( Im on a gap year, resitting a subject i got a C in; and they are asking i get a C in that resit)

I just wanted an idea of what the other uni's are like before i visit them.

Thanks for all your posts, if anyone goes to Exeter or has seen it i would like to know what you think about it.

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't comment on the course, but I know the Exeter campus and can confirm that it is both larger and greener than Nottingham's. Having said that, the student population is smaller (Exeter is 1994 group, Nottingham is Russell group), and Exeter city is quieter too.

Edit: you may find that Sussex has the biggest and greenest campus of the lot (if that's important to you - I noticed that all of your choices are campused-based universities)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Sussex, because we're awesome down here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellogoodbye91)
    I did post this earlier in the more specific subforum but only got 1 reply after a while.

Ive applied to all these uni's to do film studies but dont know which one to choose. If anyone could tell what they thought of the course at any on these uni's that would be helpful. Or even some pros and cons of some of them.

I have an offer from nottingham so far, and a letter from Leicester and Lancaster telling me to come to an open day for the department ( they say they recommended to admissions i should be offered a place). Also i got a letter from exeter saying i have been given a place but no further details on what the offer is

Ive only seen Notts so far and really liked it and im planning to see the rest if i get offers.
    I considered Exeter and Surrey for the Film Studies course and from what I know, they are both very theoretical which put me off because I would rather do a course that featured more practical work. Having said that they are all really good unis. Are you aiming for a more theory based course?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i would like something mainly theory based, that said i would love at least some kind of practical work. Which all the uni's i chose offer as far as i know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Boosh)
    I couldn't comment on the course, but I know the Exeter campus and can confirm that it is both larger and greener than Nottingham's.

Edit: you may find that Sussex has the biggest and greenest campus of the lot (if that's important to you - I noticed that all of your choices are campused-based universities)
    Nottingham has officially the biggest campus in Europe so you are wrong there. It has also won lots of campus awards - im not aware of Exeter or Sussex winning any. Although Sussex aparantly has one of the best student 'scenes'.

Anyway, Nottingham has one of the best American/Film Studies departments in the UK. It is usually ranked in the top 5 for it and has gotten top RAE marks as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AfghanistanBananistan)
    Nottingham has officially the biggest campus in Europe so you are wrong there. It has also won lots of campus awards - im not aware of Exeter or Sussex winning any. Although Sussex aparantly has one of the best student 'scenes'.

Anyway, Nottingham has one of the best American/Film Studies departments in the UK. It is usually ranked in the top 5 for it and has gotten top RAE marks as well.
    Nottingham describes itself as having "one of the largest campuses in the country". Its website boasts 330 acres:

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/about/ca...arkcampus.aspx

Exeter also describes itself as having one of the largest campuses in the UK, but claims it has over 350 acres:

http://www.exeter.ac.uk/eventexeter/confsvenues.php

Exeter too has won lots of awards. I have no plan on trawling through websites to pick them out. Needless to say, they all boast about Exeter's natural beauty, owing to the fact that the campus is a former stately home with landscaped gardens, woodlands, lakes, parks etc, with views of Devon meadows.

Perhaps Nottingham has recently acquired land and hasn't updated it's website?

At the end of the day, this doesn't matter. It's rather pathetic actually.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.