Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey...

I know TSR has a lot of academically successful people, and I like to think im not so stupid...

But a question to all those A/A* students...

When you do essay's during term time, do you consistently get A/A*'s or does it vary....?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    always 100% :smug:

ReputationRep:
    Most clever people don't do essay subjects :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jinru)
    Oh, he went there....

OP, I got a few Cs in my practice essays in A Levels, but came out with As in my final exams.

ReputationRep:
    I often ended up with Cs and sometimes even lower in practice essays/papers but ended up getting straight As. Just put in the work with revision and you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jinru)
    Most clever people do essay subjects :awesome:
    Sorry mate, made a spelling mistake there, fixed

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    No, for my timed history essays I used to get between 10 and 13 out of 20, I could never get any better. I must have eaten something awesome on exam day though, because I got an A, haha. For my english essays I started off doing really crap, getting like 10/25, then towards the end of the year I was getting like 21/25 and above, but English was very formulaic. If you could write the essay to the formula, you got an A.

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends what the subject is tbh.
    But alot of people I know who get A/A* are really erratic thinkers, and, like me, find it hard to write an essay. Im not saying this is everyone, but it does appear to follow a corilation.

ReputationRep:
    Depends what your talking about. GCSE english and history essays are a doddle. English, the lowest I would ever get on first drafts was an A, but i was superb at history and got 100% in all essays. It depends on the subject, some subjects like geography and history require specific technique and this i why i found history so easy, all you has to do was learn the technique. English isnt so easy, because there isn't a technique to answering questions. it is more about you're general style. e
    A-level is a different story, A* grade candidates from GCSE often write essays at about C/D level to start off with but then re-drafting makes them up to A standard. In A-Level, much more emphasis is put on re-drafting. At gcse a good candidate can get away with just 2 drafts. but at a-level you need to do at least 5 drafts until your getting into the very good standard analysis. this is just my personal experiences with essay writing, erm.. hope that helped.

ReputationRep:
    For timed practice papers, not all the time. For essays that can be done with resources, yes.

ReputationRep:
    actually, I will give you chemistry as an example.....

consistently gettting D/E/U throughout the year....

in the exam....A

ReputationRep:
    Usually fluctuate between 90 and 100%.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infernalcradle)
    actually, I will give you chemistry as an example.....

consistently gettting D/E/U throughout the year....

in the exam....A
    This has really brightened up my evening :grin:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oliver5084)
    Hey...

I know TSR has a lot of academically successful people, and I like to think im not so stupid...

But a question to all those A/A* students...

When you do essay's during term time, do you consistently get A/A*'s or does it vary....?

Thanks
    It wavers... adrenaline in the exam is the best but only when I'm sitting :yep:

However in history I'm getting C's and one D I got an A at GCSE, it's really hard.

ReputationRep:
    I do all my GCSE English Language and English Literature essays the night before they're due and the morning they're due over breakfast. Full marks every time :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n13715)
    This has really brightened up my evening :grin:
    like to see the teachers face

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma2010)
    It wavers... adrenaline in the exam is the best but only when I'm sitting :yep:

However in history I'm getting C's and one D I got an A at GCSE, it's really hard.
    lol, I'm the same....I have this special exam mode that I cannot seem to replicate...

I'm the same in history...and I got 98% GCSE....I hate it soooooo much...are you edexcel by any chance???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jinru)
    This is true, I got straight A's and only wrote 2 essays for the whole of AS and A2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infernalcradle)
    lol, I'm the same....I have this special exam mode that I cannot seem to replicate...

I'm the same in history...and I got 98% GCSE....I hate it soooooo much...are you edexcel by any chance???
    Omg yes, I'm edexcel

can't buy past papers + it's there's so many options there's not really a revision book. What topics are you taking?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.