Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have my interview for photography at Derby university next week and I am dreading it so much.
    Has anyone had their interview there yet, What kind of questions do they ask you and what is it like. What do I need to expect when I get there.
    How long will the actual interview actually last and when will I find out if they offer me a place do they say there and then or do you have to wait???

ReputationRep:
    I haven't had one for Derby but i have had one for photography so i hope this is of help

on average you can be waiting around an hour to two hours as they have a group to get through.

I was asked why i want to study photography and why that specific uni.
    What artists inspire me, my best piece of work etc.
    Be prepared that they might ask you your strongest and weakest elements and also if you can find out any rewards that people have won within the photography field it will show you are keen [:

One last thing, have questions ready to ask them, it makes it look like you are interested [:

hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_icefox_x)
    I have my interview for photography at Derby university next week and I am dreading it so much.
    Has anyone had their interview there yet, What kind of questions do they ask you and what is it like. What do I need to expect when I get there.
    How long will the actual interview actually last and when will I find out if they offer me a place do they say there and then or do you have to wait???
    Heya,

I have an interview for Commercial Photography there on Monday at 9! Dreading it too, but the person above hit the nail on the head with what they ask you - its exactly that.

I have a question though, where exactly is the interview being held? I never got anything through the post, I found out about the interview via UCAS! Where is yours?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sellierose)
    Heya,

I have an interview for Commercial Photography there on Monday at 9! Dreading it too, but the person above hit the nail on the head with what they ask you - its exactly that.

I have a question though, where exactly is the interview being held? I never got anything through the post, I found out about the interview via UCAS! Where is yours?
    I am doing the commercial photography to we might see each other lol. hoping to go to coventry though.
    The interview is at the markeaton campus. you need to take sketchbooks/notebooks, portfolio presentation work and a essay

ReputationRep:
    I am doing the commercial photography to we might see each other lol. hoping to go to coventry though.
    The interview is at the markeaton campus. you need to take sketchbooks/notebooks, portfolio presentation work and a essay
    I applied for the Commercial Photography course but i've not heard anything from them !
    When did you send your applications off?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pixie-lee)
    I applied for the Commercial Photography course but i've not heard anything from them !
    When did you send your applications off?
    Sent off my application in december and heard of them few weeks ago, I want to hear off coventry and I ent heard off them so I am worrying a bit now, worrying that I have only heard off one of them.

ReputationRep:
    Sent off my application in december and heard of them few weeks ago, I want to hear off coventry and I ent heard off them so I am worrying a bit now, worrying that I have only heard off one of them.
    Have you looked round? Coventry were so so horrid to me, and the other students I met there. One of the tutors is completely self-obsessed (and very rude), so make sure you do a lot of research on each tutor's work so you are prepared! Also, there are only 20 places on the course, so they might be full up by now.

I don't mean to scare you, but be prepared to conduct the interview practically by yourself. The tutor I had (one of three I think) asked me about 2 questions, and nothing on my portfolio! I was unsuccessful because I didn't know anything about the tutors, you have been warned!

Rant over, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Had mine today, it wasn't too bad at all! Def considering it as an insurance if not a firm! =]

ReputationRep:
    Had my Interview at Derby the other day it was horrible they practically told me in the nicest way possible that my work wasn't what they liked so I doubt I have got a placement. Have not heard of any of the others so have no idea what I am going to do, might start applying for assisstant photography jobs and start from the bottom and work my way up

ReputationRep:
    Had my Interview at Derby the other day it was horrible they practically told me in the nicest way possible that my work wasn't what they liked so I doubt I have got a placement. Have not heard of any of the others so have no idea what I am going to do, might start applying for assisstant photography jobs and start from the bottom and work my way up
    Don't be too disheartened.. The Photography course at Derby is one of the most popular ADT courses and is often oversubscribed..
    A few of my mates are in their final year of the course and have had mixed views on it so you never know; it could be a blessing in disguise.
    Derby's not one of the most revered institutions so hopefully you'll find somewhere that will love your work and help you push forward.. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Hi icefox. MBM is right, don't be disheartened. You really won't know how you've done until you hear back, and you can ask for feedback either way. Photography is all about expression & just because you express in one way doesn't mean it's how someone else does. Originality is a great thing so cherish it. They might have loved your work but see room for improvement, which is what uni is all about. If we were all brilliant from the off we'd never have to go!
    Chin up & the best of wishes. I hope you get in.
    Leoni x

ReputationRep:
    Hi was wondering if anyone could help me!I've not been in education for 3 years and i've got an interview at Derby uni for commercial photography in a couple of weeks. They want an essay off me and I don't have any anyone got any ideas what I could write about??

ReputationRep:
    Write about an area in photography you like, the history of fashion photography/ fine art etc. Write about Photo Impressionism. Nothing to major they just want to see if they can guide you and that you wont be scared of the dissertation.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have an interview for derby tomorrow and I was wondering if I have to bring in a portfolio?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.