Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What are convection currents in relation to volcanoes and earthquakes?

In the specification for aqa it says this. I know wat the plate margins are but what does it mean by seismicity and vulcanicity?

Destructive, constructive and conservative plate
    margins. Processes: seismicity and vulcanicity.

how do rift valleys , ocean ridges ,deep sea treches and island arcs form?

ReputationRep:
    To cut a long story short, we're talking magma 'hot spots' here. Magma is partially-molten and convects in 'cells' beneath the lithosphere. Where the hotter magma rises, you are more likely to see geological features such as volcanoes and divergent plate boundaries (think: Mid-Atlantic Ridge). The relative movement within the lithosphere caused by this convection can lead to earthquakes through the inevitable deformation of rock.

It's a bit brief, but I've not studied geology for 2 or 3 years. Hope it helps!

ReputationRep:
    i really wish they would take convection currents out of the syllabus. its an outdated idea that is probably more complex than slab pull/push anyway

convection currents are mild upwelling and downwelling of thermal energy around plate edges. youre meant to be thought that they drive plate motion, which makes no sense. for convection to work the mantle has to be fairly fluid, which means it would have less friction with the plates as therefore wouldnt work.

seismicity = earthquakes etc. vulcanicity = volcanoes.

for this sort of level youre best off just reading wikipedia as it wont over complicate it

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 8, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.