good support for my dyspracia
    already know afew people there
    all really nice

cons of staying in job

friends all at uni next year and may feel like im missing out
    wonder what it would be like uni

what do you think?

ReputationRep:
    Youre earning £37.5 an hour? 750 for 20 hours work? you serious. keep your job! work 40 hours a week and you could earn £78,000 a year.

ReputationRep:
    The main reason people go to uni is to better themselves, usually career wise. It also depends on your job. Does it restrict you to one area forever? is the job secure for years to come? Why were you thinking of going to uni in the first place? And what is it you would do at uni that you think will benefit your life?

Those are the questions you need to ask yourself and only you know if it worth it or not. Also, you might be better posting this in General Uni forum, to get a better response

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sharp910sh)
    Youre earning £37.5 an hour? 750 for 20 hours work? you serious. keep your job! work 40 hours a week and you could earn £78,000 a year.
    its a months pay that for 20 hours a week

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sharp910sh)

No he said 750 a month, for 20 hours work per week. So works out at £9.38 ish per hour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suis Je Bovvered ?)
    The main reason people go to uni is to better themselves, usually career wise. It also depends on your job. Does it restrict you to one area forever? is the job secure for years to come? Why were you thinking of going to uni in the first place? And what is it you would do at uni that you think will benefit your life?

Those are the questions you need to ask yourself and only you know if it worth it or not. Also, you might be better posting this in General Uni forum, to get a better response
    no it doesnt restrict me, I have moved jobs 2 times before (same pay diff job) and you can decide if you want to apply for promotion at anytime (as long as you meet any requirement, which usally dont include education) the job is very secure, no chance of it going under. I dont know about the last 2

ReputationRep:
    If you're going to uni solely based on the fact that all your friends are and you might be 'missing out', don't bother going at all. Why would you bother putting yourself through all the work and debt just to keep up with your peers?

ReputationRep:

This answer makes the most sense. The entire point of going to university is to get that piece of paper that allows you to get a better job. So many people go to university for the wrong reasons (and who is to say their reasons are wrong?) and many people drop out because university isn't the grand, life-affirming event that TV makes it out to be.

Unless you've got an unconditional at a university you love doing a course that you love I wouldn't go. If you enjoy your job then work hard at it and put a bit of that money into savings and have a go at university later on when you really want to. The fact that you're posting this on here shows that you've got major doubts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iainthegreat)
    No he said 750 a month, for 20 hours work per week. So works out at £9.38 ish per hour.
    I edited the op it didnt state the time frames before

ReputationRep:
    keep your job and earn more money than your friends and then laugh at them when they have loads of debts

ReputationRep:
    Uni is really overrated. If you're in a career that you enjoy and that you can move up without a degree I would stay in your job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kamc)
    Uni is really overrated. If you're in a career that you enjoy and that you can move up without a degree I would stay in your job.
    You dont need a degree and they dont ask for it, you just have to be able to justify you can do the job

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Torchskins)
    You dont need a degree and they dont ask for it, you just have to be able to justify you can do the job
    Well if it was me I would stay in the job and avoid the debt.
    Unless you want a degree, that would be my advice.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds to me like you just want the uni student life and feel your missing out because your friends are going. This, itself, isn't a good enough reason to go to uni, in my opinion. Sure, it's fun, but with the fun comes the debt (for most people) and the endless hours of studying to better and advance their own lives.

If a degree won't advance your career (which in your case it doesn't look like it will, at least not for a long while and a lot of promotions), then you should find the fun somewhere else. Go out more with friends and enjoy yourself in other ways

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Torchskins)
    This is essentially how I've done my life. Sod the degree! :p: If I were you though, if you feel like you're missing out on something, save some $$$ up for a year then go traveling.

ReputationRep:
    I thought I could keep my job when I started uni as it was only 8 hours on a sunday for £50, but the workload was to intense so had to quit. Working isn't realistic depending on what uni/course it is as uni sort of becomes your job, that you have to pay for to do.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds to me like you just want the uni student life and feel your missing out because your friends are going. This, itself, isn't a good enough reason to go to uni, in my opinion. Sure, it's fun, but with the fun comes the debt (for most people) and the endless hours of studying to better and advance their own lives.

If a degree won't advance your career (which in your case it doesn't look like it will, at least not for a long while and a lot of promotions), then you should find the fun somewhere else. Go out more with friends and enjoy yourself in other ways
    thanks for this + rep

ReputationRep:
    What are you doing a degree in.
    - Will i help with you job, will it further you, or are just doing it for the fun?

ReputationRep:
    £10 quid an hour is rubbish. go to uni do a real degree. what is your job? sales manager?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhutch)
    What are you doing a degree in.
    - Will i help with you job, will it further you, or are just doing it for the fun?
    fun but it may be possible it will help me but chances are it wont

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.