ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8503921.stm

Whilst cuts are being made to university budgets -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8491729.stm

Good luck getting that place you've always wanted :top:

ReputationRep:
    Ditto

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad that I'm finishing in a few months. UWE has been packed ever since they allowed another couple of thousand students onto the main campus (good luck finding a computer in the technology block) and I bet next year will be even worse.

ReputationRep:
    Most people on here will be alright - it's not as if these extra people applying are quality applicants, more like idiots who can't get jobs.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not worried, they could go up 50% and I'd still get a place at the Unis in my sig.

ReputationRep:
    Is the budget cuts only in England?

People with good applicants with strong application will get good places it will be the other applicants that miss out.

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/8503921.stm

:yep:

"A number of universities are reported to have increased the expected grades they will require from would-be students.

Others are planning to cut courses as they struggle to cope."

ReputationRep:
    A huge shame, I think.

ReputationRep:
    cheers gordon.

ReputationRep:
    More students shafted. :sigh:

Great.

It's worth noting that universities on the continent are still relatively open, though. If you're open to that sort of thing [perhaps you were/are considering an Erasmus year or an exchange as part of a degree in the UK?] then start looking around Europe now!

ReputationRep:
    Which means I'm totally buggered, the joy!

ReputationRep:
    Increased applications to the **** universities. The top universities won't receive more applications.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prospectivEEconomist)
    Increased applications to the **** universities. The top universities won't receive more applications.

Last year, all five universities I applied to [Exeter, UCL, KCL, Durham, Bristol] received record levels of applicants across the board. Leicester, where I wound up in clearing, also received it's highest ever number of applicants.

Fear for your places, young padawans - this affects the entire higher education system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)

Last year, all five universities I applied to [Exeter, UCL, KCL, Durham, Bristol] received record levels of applicants across the board. Leicester, where I wound up in clearing, also received it's highest ever number of applicants.

Fear for your places, young padawans - this affects the entire higher education system.
    They are receiving applications from the mediocre students who before wouldn't have applied to university. Do you really think they are receiving more straight A grade applicants. :rolleyes: Anyways I am in second year of university..lol

ReputationRep:
    So even though I've received a offer am I still vulnerable until I give them my confirmation letter.

ReputationRep:
    The thing about these statistics is that they never disclose the context. It'd be even better to know what universities and what courses have the increase in applicants, because nobody just sits around considering their circumstances and the job market and then decides on a hunch to go off and study medicine or law at some top uni.

Surely the number applying to top unis for the really highly competitive courses would not have changed much by the recession and the job market conditions...such decisions aren't an after thought the applicants were pretty much set on applying for some time now.

Ofcourse, there are more applicants at those unis for those courses but I suspect it's more to do with just the natural trend of higher education being on the rise and more students coming from all over the world to study here. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd really like to see more detail to those statistics and see just what unis and courses are affected.

ReputationRep:
    I'm screwed.

ReputationRep:
    great typical has to be the year i apply

ReputationRep:
    Wow. This just makes me uneasy about the future. O_O

ReputationRep:
    Is this not a good thing?

The cuts obviously aren't going to benefit anyone, but in regards to the increase in applicants, shouldn't places for Universities be competitive?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.