Turn on thread page Beta

University applications up 23% watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've already got my offers so in a moment of startling selfishness, I really don't care!

ReputationRep:
    Well, I guess we just gotta hope the admissions tutors can actually pick out the best applicants. As someone who got most of his offers, I'm gonna go ahead and say that if you're a very good applicant (relative to the level of universities you are applying to), then you needn't worry too much.

ReputationRep:
    One of the schools I applied to had a 45% increase in applications this year. I got into my first-choice university anyway, but it's a disconcerting statistic to look at regardless.

ReputationRep:
    I was part of the university backlash last year; I couldnt get a place in clearing, besides at UWE and Westminster etc. Im happy i have an offer at a good uni now unconditional

I think all the unis across the board are recieving higher applications, because of a lack of jobs or lack of money to fund gap years due to lack of jobs. Even an AAA student who wanted to take a gap year but has no sufficient funds would rather take a uni spot. I do think this will affect mediocre students the most, those who would get in with BCC or something. At the top unis, most of them have caps on places anyway from what I have heard, at least UCL, KCL, LSE and Warwick did. It just means that they choose better candidates over the average ones, the average ones are seen more favourably in other unis than candidates less qualified than them etc. The people who dont get any OFFERS will be those who hve weak grades, statement or shouldnt be in uni (this exlcudes medicine though imo).

I think most people will get Offers. However, the Unis will be very tight on grades, meaning that those that just missed out will be in the same position as me this year.

ReputationRep:
    So universities will find themselves in a position where they can pick only the very best applicants?

Doesn't sound dreadful at all.

Good. I'm sorry but university entry should be a competition. Surprised to read that some individuals imply that getting a university place should be a walk in the park.

It's excellent that universities are increasing entrance requirements.

I mean, honestly, if you don't want to work for the increased entry grades, tough, someone else will take your place.

Also, this could potentially allow universities to give offers to the best applicants - which is the point of university admissions in the first place.

It's just common sense. If you're not good enough, whatever reason that might be, you don't get in. Simple as that.

ReputationRep:
    If you've got offers, does it affect you ? I'm confused!

ReputationRep:
    Great how I can't wait to apply next year...
    Really scared

ReputationRep:
    Already made a thread hours ago, but it died http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1176721

ReputationRep:
    Didn't they go up by a fairly significant number for the 09/10 season just gone? I'm not sure about places going down, but applications definitely shot up.

Applications are always going to go up, but it's worth bearing in mind that the number of universities has shot up over recent years, as well as applications. They might not this year, and there may be less places, but compared to a few decades ago, the proportion of students continuing into Higher Education will still be well on the up, I'm sure.

University places should be competitive, no doubt, otherwise the value of having a degree would just drop as more people would have them.

Having said that, I expect that a number of places will be cut due to funding cuts forecast for this year. It's a shame to see cuts in any sector, but higher education especially. As for tuition fees going up mind, that's a whole new issue, and something I agree with; let's hope the increase in fees overcomes the cuts, and of course that student loans continue to cover the full fees, which I expect they will.

ReputationRep:
    Great.... i am royal screwed, because i have to drop one of my as subjects(i shouldn't have taken it) so i am going to be at a disadvantage because i cant write an essay, and my school wont let me do further maths instead- thats not fair because i could have got 4 a's but cause i will only have 3 all the private school peices of **** will steal all the places at the good uni's and someone who has had to work there arse off all year won't, thanks alot screwed up british education system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faith01)
    I'm screwed.

haha!! :p:

ReputationRep:
    i think it's healthy

ReputationRep:
    Instead of wasting your time all on this **** maths, you may as well get your arse to your table-chair and study hard.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Too much people go to university as it is. Less students, particularly those who didn't achieve much in their A-levels, equals a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Good. I'm sorry but university entry should be a competition. Surprised to read that some individuals imply that getting a university place should be a walk in the park.

It's excellent that universities are increasing entrance requirements.

I mean, honestly, if you don't want to work for the increased entry grades, tough, someone else will take your place.

Also, this could potentially allow universities to give offers to the best applicants - which is the point of university admissions in the first place.

It's just common sense. If you're not good enough, whatever reason that might be, you don't get in. Simple as that.

Couldn't agree more, well said.

ReputationRep:
    I'm so happy that I have my offers.

They can't take them back now... or can they? :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    I am so unbelievably glad to be out of this nightmarish cycle now and have everything secured and sorted for next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Too much people go to university as it is. Less students, particularly those who didn't achieve much in their A-levels, equals a good thing.
    Agreed, if Labour had their way everybody would go to University which eliminates the whole bloody point of it. I'm all for people from less privledged backgrounds getting into University (I'm from a single parent working class family myself) but there reaches a point when trying to expand Higher Education just dilutes it's very point. When people getting less than CCC at A Level are going to University, it's just baffling. Vocational courses or on the job training should be the options for these people.

ReputationRep:
    Dare I say... grade inflation?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.