Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

University applications up 23% watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    The rush for a Masters?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Unis will have their teaching budgets cut, its upto the uni to then decide where to cut.
    ok, sounds fair enough on reflection. what are the chances of an increase in international students? surely, that's one way to claw back some of this lost budget.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    The rush for a Masters?
    Since when did Masters applications go through UCAS?
    (apart from integrated masters obviously)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n_251)
    ok, sounds fair enough on reflection. what are the chances of an increase in international students? surely, that's one way to claw back some of this lost budget.
    Quite high, certainly applications are up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talveer)
    Oh really? then what the **** was my teacher on about then.
    Yeah it got cut back to 5 a few years back, not sure exactly when but there was a dip in certain uni's applications and they blamed it upon the cutting down on the number of UCAS places.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by ajp100688)
    Agreed, if Labour had their way everybody would go to University which eliminates the whole bloody point of it. I'm all for people from less privledged backgrounds getting into University (I'm from a single parent working class family myself) but there reaches a point when trying to expand Higher Education just dilutes it's very point. When people getting less than CCC at A Level are going to University, it's just baffling. Vocational courses or on the job training should be the options for these people.
    My personal opinion is that university should be free for everyone who gets in, but only those who are the elite can get in.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be applying to university in for 2012 entry and I hope I'll be able to get in.

ReputationRep:
    Thank god I got an unconditional :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
    Cut places even more I say, and make people pay £1000 a year out of their own money on top of tuition if they want to study at university. We don't need so many graduates, a basic price will keep the dregs and currs out.
    Yeah, let's just make it for rich people. :eyebrow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrightGirl)
    Yeah, let's just make it for rich people. :eyebrow:
    So topup fees encouraged more non rich people to go to university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    What? If you introduce an extra £1000 out of people's own pockets, that will just make uni unaccessible to people with hardly any money.

ReputationRep:
    What? If you introduce an extra £1000 out of people's own pockets, that will just make uni unaccessible to people with hardly any money.
    The same as 2005 then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    The same as 2005 then?
    I don't know, what happened in 2005? Stop asking questions and just get to the point please, so I can either form a new opinion or not.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know, what happened in 2005? Stop asking questions and just get to the point please, so I can either form a new opinion or not.
    Before topup fees you had to pay the fee before you could register each year, there wasn't a fee loan, OK so fees were on a sliding scale depending on family income but unlike now there was an upfront cost to uni.

So if you're against that then you're saying topup fees made it easier for people to go to uni (which is true).

ReputationRep:
    the tuition fee was raised in 2005

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Before topup fees you had to pay the fee before you could register each year, there wasn't a fee loan, OK so fees were on a sliding scale depending on family income but unlike now there was an upfront cost to uni.

So if you're against that then you're saying topup fees made it easier for people to go to uni (which is true).
    But the guy who I quoted was saying an extra £1000 on top of tuition. :confused: I must be missing something here, I'm tired - sorry.

ReputationRep:
    But the guy who I quoted was saying an extra £1000 on top of tuition. :confused: I must be missing something here, I'm tired - sorry.
    Yup, but fees will be increasing in a couple of years. 4,500 is a lot less than the 7-9k being suggested.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Ultimately it will primarily exclude those who should not be going to university anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Yes.

Yup, but fees will be increasing in a couple of years. 4,500 is a lot less than the 7-9k being suggested.
    Now I'm losing you, and I'm not tired.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajp100688)
    Agreed, if Labour had their way everybody would go to University which eliminates the whole bloody point of it. I'm all for people from less privledged backgrounds getting into University (I'm from a single parent working class family myself) but there reaches a point when trying to expand Higher Education just dilutes it's very point. When people getting less than CCC at A Level are going to University, it's just baffling. Vocational courses or on the job training should be the options for these people.
    Yesyes, agreed.
    Labour seem so focussed on making everybody equal, they seem to have forgotten that people aren't the same - there are people who are more and less academic, but rather than let the more academic people pursue more academic professions and less academic people pursue less academic professions, we're all being lumped into 'university', leading to further segregation between 'real degrees' from 'real universities' and 'mickey mouse degrees' from ex-polys, instead of just having an academic and a vocational pathway.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.