Exeter - AAA offer

Academic information for those who are interested:
    Spoiler:
    Show

GCSEs: 6A* and 5A - From a crap school.
    AS Level: Maths - A, Economics - A, Chemistry - A, History - B
    A2: Maths, Economics, Chemistry + AS Further Maths
    Predicted: A*A*A*a

Now I'm having a tough time deciding where to firm.
    Exeter only offers BA where as Bath offers BSc.

On the Times university guide for economics Exeter ranks 6th, but is this because it has been inflated by its excellent national student survey score and not on the merits of the course?

I am going for another look at both universities soon, but I really like both of them. However as Exeter is slightly larger and lively I prefer it to Bath.

So excluding considerations of the course I'd pick Exeter. But taking the course into account I still have no idea. Exeter economics "graduate prospects" are a good 10% lower than similarly ranked universities, almost definitely because of the BA rather than BSc. Leaving them 21st for graduate prospects for economics.

I think I will be focusing on the quantitative side of economics in regards to optional modules even on the BA course. I am keen to apply for an MSc at some of the top universities after completing my degree. Will the universities be able to see my specific modules or just simply BA or BSc? Will a BA hamper my chances at gaining a well regarded place for MSc? (I'm assuming achieving a 1st class degree - but anything could happen I suppose - my priorities might change)

The thing is I don't want to go to Exeter and for the whole three years of my time there be thinking "How am I going to get onto a decent masters programme after this." or "What's the point if all I'm going to get is a BA, which isn't highly regarded." And don’t want to pay all that money for something which isn’t going to stand me in good stead.

So after all that waffling:

Exeter BA or Bath BSc? Mainly in regards to opening doors afterwards.
    Also, if I achieve A*A*A/A*A*A, would it be worth reapplying for Cam, LSE, Bristol, Warwick, Nottingham?

Thanks for any help or advice you can give me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paul2009)
    I applied for Economics L100 for 2010 entry to:

Warwick - Rejected
    Nottingham - Rejected
    Bristol - Rejected
    Bath - AAA offer
    Exeter - AAA offer

Academic information for those who are interested:
    Spoiler:
    Show

GCSEs: 6A* and 5A - From a crap school.
    AS Level: Maths - A, Economics - A, Chemistry - A, History - B
    A2: Maths, Economics, Chemistry + AS Further Maths
    Predicted: A*A*A*a

Now I'm having a tough time deciding where to firm.
    Exeter only offers BA where as Bath offers BSc.

On the Times university guide for economics Exeter ranks 6th, but is this because it has been inflated by its excellent national student survey score and not on the merits of the course?

I am going for another look at both universities soon, but I really like both of them. However as Exeter is slightly larger and lively I prefer it to Bath.

So excluding considerations of the course I'd pick Exeter. But taking the course into account I still have no idea. Exeter economics "graduate prospects" are a good 10% lower than similarly ranked universities, almost definitely because of the BA rather than BSc. Leaving them 21st for graduate prospects for economics.

I think I will be focusing on the quantitative side of economics in regards to optional modules even on the BA course. I am keen to apply for an MSc at some of the top universities after completing my degree. Will the universities be able to see my specific modules or just simply BA or BSc? Will a BA hamper my chances at gaining a well regarded place for MSc? (I'm assuming achieving a 1st class degree - but anything could happen I suppose - my priorities might change)

The thing is I don't want to go to Exeter and for the whole three years of my time there be thinking "How am I going to get onto a decent masters programme after this." or "What's the point if all I'm going to get is a BA, which isn't highly regarded." And don’t want to pay all that money for something which isn’t going to stand me in good stead.

So after all that waffling:

Exeter BA or Bath BSc? Mainly in regards to opening doors afterwards.
    Also, if I achieve A*A*A/A*A*A, would it be worth reapplying for Cam, LSE, Bristol, Warwick, Nottingham?

Thanks for any help or advice you can give me!
    I go bath so bear in mind I will be a bit biased.

Firstly Times University Rankings for Economics are really dodgy due to student satisfaction survey. If you want a good indicator of the prestige and difficulty of entry of each course look on TAELT.

In terms of graduate prospects, reputation and difficulty of entry bath is much better than exeter for economics as shown:

Average Tariff score for economics (Unistats):
    Bath-450
    Exeter-390

Those employed with graduate job for economics (Unistats):
    Bath-93%
    Exeter-66%

Universities Targeted by the Largest Number of Top Employers in 2009-2010 (General):
    Bath-7th
    Exeter-Not in the top 20

Average Starting Salary for Economics Graduates:
    Bath: 26.8K
    Exeter:22.8K

Complete University Guide (General Rankings):
    Bath-9th
    Exeter-19th

Times University Guide (General Rankings):
    Exeter-9th
    Bath-13th

If you achieve A*A*A then it might be worth applying to Cambridge, LSE and Warwick but there is absolutely no point of wasting a year just to go to Nottingham or Bristol (unless you really prefer the campus/city) as academically and in terms of prospects their economics course is practically the same as Bath. Plus if you went to bath in the same time it takes you to graduate form Nottingham/Bristol you could do a four year degree at bath and have a year of experience at a top organisation (i.e the top five employers of economics students for the placement year are UBS, HM Treasury, HSBC, Morgan Stanley and Bank of England plus there are opportunities at Goldman Sachs, JP morgan and all the top accountancy firms).

ReputationRep:
    Go for Bath, Exeter are a joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goian123434)
    I go bath so bear in mind I will be a bit biased.

Firstly Times University Rankings for Economics are really dodgy due to student satisfaction survey. If you want a good indicator of the prestige and difficulty of entry of each course look on TAELT.

In terms of graduate prospects, reputation and difficulty of entry bath is much better than exeter for economics as shown:

Average Tariff score for economics (Unistats):
    Bath-450
    Exeter-390

Those employed with graduate job for economics (Unistats):
    Bath-93%
    Exeter-66%

Universities Targeted by the Largest Number of Top Employers in 2009-2010 (General):
    Bath-7th
    Exeter-Not in the top 20

Average Starting Salary for Economics Graduates:
    Bath: 26.8K
    Exeter:22.8K

Complete University Guide (General Rankings):
    Bath-9th
    Exeter-19th

Times University Guide (General Rankings):
    Exeter-9th
    Bath-13th

If you achieve A*A*A then it might be worth applying to Cambridge, LSE and Warwick but there is absolutely no point of wasting a year just to go to Nottingham or Bristol (unless you really prefer the campus/city) as academically and in terms of prospects their economics course is practically the same as Bath. Plus if you went to bath in the same time it takes you to graduate form Nottingham/Bristol you could do a four year degree at bath and have a year of experience at a top organisation (i.e the top five employers of economics students for the placement year are UBS, HM Treasury, HSBC, Morgan Stanley and Bank of England plus there are opportunities at Goldman Sachs, JP morgan and all the top accountancy firms).
    I read this on another thread after writing mine, very intresting, thankyou.

I also took some extra time to read Paulwhy's very helpful threads, and this has answered most of my questions in reagrds to MSc applications.

I'm very swayed towards Bath at the moment, with possible re-application if A*A*A* is achieved.

Any further input is welcomed though. It's just a shame I didn't have quick read before posting the above essay.

ReputationRep:
    Bath definitely
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    certainly firm bath over exeter. The reason why exeter graduate prospects are lower (i wouldn't use unistats btw) so were looking at around 70-80% across most league tables is partly due to the area. Devon has low employment rates this certainly affects the uni also due to the course being a Ba. This however doesnt mean it contains less maths because it contains as much as any other economics course, it covers all the mathematics you'll find in a Bsc but because it is very flexible with modules. Due to the stigma attached to Ba courses this no doubt affect the enjoyability of the exeter economics course.

However the best thing to do is to actually visit both unis, its better to have an idea of them as a place and as an institute than to go off what league tables, friends or teachers say.

ReputationRep:
    bath. firm it now!

ReputationRep:
    Bath has the slightly better reputation, and with the placement year that Bath offers, your graduate employment prospects are likely to be better. But they are both good universities for the course. Important to consider where you would rather go and live. 3 years is a long time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaz_jaz)
    bath. firm it now!
    Haha why's that?

-On another note Bath certainly wasn't my 1st choice when first applying. It seems small and the night life doesn't seem brilliant and being a sociable person it worries me that I might get bored. Also the Male:female 55:45 ratio worries me... a bit of a sausage fest?

The Freshers Week seems slightly underwhelming too:
    "* Residence BBQs
    * Bath city tours
    * Trips to Argos and IKEA
    * Film showings
    * Quiz night
    * Sports Day
    * Cultural Day
    * Comedy Club
    * Ceilidh
    * Beach Party
    * Silent Disco
    * Beer Festival
    * Bierkeller
    * Toga Party
    * Paintballing "

On the other hand the Bath Economics SocieTy - BEST seems pretty good, with nights out in Bristol by coach for £3....

ReputationRep:
    Haha why's that?

-On another note Bath certainly wasn't my 1st choice when first applying. It seems small and the night life doesn't seem brilliant and being a sociable person it worries me that I might get bored. Also the Male:female 55:45 ratio worries me... a bit of a sausage fest?

"* Residence BBQs
    * Bath city tours
    * Film showings
    * Quiz night
    * Sports Day
    * Cultural Day
    * Comedy Club
    * Ceilidh
    * Beach Party
    * Silent Disco
    * Beer Festival
    * Bierkeller
    * Toga Party
    * Paintballing "

On the other hand the Bath Economics SocieTy - BEST seems pretty good, with nights out in Bristol by coach for £3....
    Well, its has a better rep than Exeter for Economics, its BSc (if you like the mathsey stuff thats good), I know people that have gone on from Bath to get some amazing jobs (but maybe thats cuz I don't know anyone from exeter :p:) but generally I would, without a doubt, pick Bath I wish I could go there!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Haha why's that?

"* Residence BBQs
    * Bath city tours
    * Film showings
    * Quiz night
    * Sports Day
    * Cultural Day
    * Comedy Club
    * Ceilidh
    * Beach Party
    * Silent Disco
    * Beer Festival
    * Bierkeller
    * Toga Party
    * Paintballing "

Actually Unistats says the ratio is 68:32 :p:

Trip to Argos sounds awesome :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    Haha why's that?

"* Residence BBQs
    * Bath city tours
    * Film showings
    * Quiz night
    * Sports Day
    * Cultural Day
    * Comedy Club
    * Ceilidh
    * Beach Party
    * Silent Disco
    * Beer Festival
    * Bierkeller
    * Toga Party
    * Paintballing "

Freshers week also had vegas night, clubbers and ravers with zane lowe, launch party and graffiti party but to be fair other universities had better freshers. However you have to consider that freshers is only one week and it will pass you by very quickly. In bath there is loads of pubs/bars and a few clubs which should keep you entertained most of the time. If you get bored bristol is only 10 min by train and there are plenty of coaches which have deals of entry into a club and then they bring you back to campus from bristol at 3am.

On the girl/boy ratio you will find enough girls on campus but they probably wont be doing your course. Because bath is primarily a science based university you will find slightly more males than females. On pretty much any economics course you will find that the male to female ratio is never good and bath has similar boy to girl ratio for economics compared to other universities, in fact its ratio is nearly identical to to bristol and is better than exeter and nottingham

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greg.)
    Actually Unistats says the ratio is 68:32 :p:
    Thats for the economics course, general is 55:45. All universities have similar ratios for their economics courses with males normally outnumbering females by quite a margin.

ReputationRep:
    bath but probably down to bias :p: although i can definitely say that the year in industry will be extremely helpful in terms of your grad prospects. There's a lot of maths to which is always good (to an extent ) but then again, i've never gone to exeter

ReputationRep:
    Definitely Bath. The Times Uni rankings are a bit misleading because of the student satisfaction survey. Prospects and reputation of Bath are much better than Exeter for economics.

ReputationRep:
    Bath is better for economics than Exeter.
    But good you are visiting them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.