Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    When you use pay at the pump at the petrol station, does it sometimes take a while for the payment to leave your bank account?

I used one on Sunday evening, and there's no sign of it leaving my account. Normally what happens in the case of delayed payments is that the "Balance Available" is lower than the "Balance", but that's not the case at the moment.

Mildly concerned I may have accidentally stolen petrol somehow!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it happens sometimes. There is no rule saying that the payment must be taken immediately (which is a pain when you think it has been, assume you have money in your account, spend it, then the ptrol money comes out and makes you overdrawn) - But yeah, it can take a few days sometimes - How long has it been?

ReputationRep:
    It takes about a week for it to come up on my account when I go to a petrol station.

(Original post by Revd. Mike)
    When you use pay at the pump at the petrol station, does it sometimes take a while for the payment to leave your bank account?

I used one on Sunday evening, and there's no sign of it leaving my account. Normally what happens in the case of delayed payments is that the "Balance Available" is lower than the "Balance", but that's not the case at the moment.

For me it takes up to one week... but that's odd if the balance available isn't lower Maybe the payment didn't go through at all :|
    I'd advise you just wait till next week and see whether the money has left your account.

It used to take a while when I did it too, though I haven't used one for a while as the local one randomly stopped accepting my card.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJW)
    It used to take a while when I did it too, though I haven't used one for a while as the local one randomly stopped accepting my card.
    By any chance is your card a Solo or Visa Electron card? Apparently a lot of places stopped accepting those at the pump (particularly Tesco pumps) due to card fraud of some kind.

Yeah it was a Solo, they're being phased out entirely. I've got a Visa debit card (not Electron) now so it'd probably work.

ReputationRep:
    it usually takes about 3 days..

ReputationRep:

Yup, and if i only have £1 in my account..i can put a full tank in and not get charged till i get paid lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    Yup, and if i only have £1 in my account..i can put a full tank in and not get charged till i get paid lol
    :laugh: that's been a lifesaver for me in the past!

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't mind some of this free petrol malarkey, if it doesn't come out eventually. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    My Available Balance decreases so I know how much I really have left in there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potential Trigger)
    My Available Balance decreases so I know how much I really have left in there
    That's what normally happens with mine too, but it hasn't this time, which is why I'm wondering...

ReputationRep:
    That's what normally happens with mine too, but it hasn't this time, which is why I'm wondering...

If you get it for free don't complain!

ReputationRep:
    I am sure it will come up tomorrow or the day after, I doubt you would have "stolen petrol" because at my local pump once the transaction is complete you do get notification of that on the screen e.t.c

Don't worry about it

ReputationRep:
    Even if the money doesn't go out, I don't think it counts as theft, as you enter your card and they authorise the petrol before you draw it, so it is their error, not yours.

ReputationRep:
    No worries, the money's just gone out now. Shame :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    Howcome? :woo:

Is that because it authorizes before you take fuel so therefore it cant know how much to authorize for???

Useful trick for us students!! Work on electron and visa debit??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by warrenpenalver)
    Howcome? :woo:

Is that because it authorizes before you take fuel so therefore it cant know how much to authorize for???

Useful trick for us students!! Work on electron and visa debit??

should do, i pay with visa, i only do it 1-2 days before payday tho, when im really desperate

ReputationRep:
    nice trick!!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 11, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.