Turn on thread page Beta

Perverts or are we just paranoid? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    A few years ago when I was at school I got into trouble for smoking and was kept in by my form teacher Mrs Winters for detention. She was really nice about it and just explained the health reasons for not smoking. Then she confessed to me that she had herself been caught smoking when she was at school and that the headmaster had smacked her as a punishment. First thing I thought was that he must have been a pervert... Are we unfair making these assumptions or is it right that we should judge the past by modern standards? After all smacking and caning in schools was normal back then.

ReputationRep:
    Smacking as a punishment does not indicate a perversion. If he had stripped her, smacked her, and got off from it, maybe. But smacking in itself is an agression and not a perversion.
    It may not have been very ethical, but it clearly worked to some extent, so simply because our views on it have changed, there is no need to judge previous society harshly. If they had believed it to be wrong but still continued, then we would have an excuse to do so.

ReputationRep:
    it's hard to accept now though isn't it? I mean the idea of a girl getting a smacked bottom at school and how can you ever know if he got off on doing it or not? and I don't know how much if at all she was stripped, I assumed she must have had her bum naked, isn't that what it means if you get your bum smacked?!?!?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katecapsize)
    it's hard to accept now though isn't it? I mean the idea of a girl getting a smacked bottom at school and how can you ever know if he got off on doing it or not? and I don't know how much if at all she was stripped, I assumed she must have had her bum naked, isn't that what it means if you get your bum smacked?!?!?!
    I think perhaps its easier for me to accept because if i was very bad when I was little I got smacked, because verbal warnings weren't working in those circumstances. My dad got hit badly by his father all the time among other things, but he's never raised a hand to me, but anyway- I never had to take my clothes off!
    Luckily
    I do agree though that it seems really strange that it would have happened at school, especially nowadays when teachers are too scared to even shout too much!

ReputationRep:
    I imagine you mean you got smacked meaning just a couple of whacks? I think this was more like a formal smacking like over his knee and lots of slaps. And yes I think with bare bum. And also this was at an age when she was trying cigarettes so I think early teens. But it wasn't nowadays when it happened my form teacher must have been at school in the 70's 80's I'm guessing.

ReputationRep:
    I imagine you mean you got smacked meaning just a couple of whacks? I think this was more like a formal smacking like over his knee and lots of slaps. And yes I think with bare bum. And also this was at an age when she was trying cigarettes so I think early teens. But it wasn't nowadays when it happened my form teacher must have been at school in the 70's 80's I'm guessing.
    Yeah, I've never been formally spanked. How humiliating!

ReputationRep:
    must have been I'm just glad I wasn't at school back then

ReputationRep:
    A few years ago when I was at school I got into trouble for smoking and was kept in by my form teacher Mrs Winters for detention. She was really nice about it and just explained the health reasons for not smoking. Then she confessed to me that she had herself been caught smoking when she was at school and that the headmaster had smacked her as a punishment. First thing I thought was that he must have been a pervert... Are we unfair making these assumptions or is it right that we should judge the past by modern standards? After all smacking and caning in schools was normal back then.
    Smacking, depends where.. if you mean bum. Well..that was back then, thankfully smacking and caning is not acceptable now. If i was a father and heard my son/daughter got smacked. Who knows what i may have done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fourdigit)
    Smacking, depends where.. if you mean bum. Well..that was back then, thankfully smacking and caning is not acceptable now. If i was a father and heard my son/daughter got smacked. Who knows what i may have done.

It was a formal smacking/spanking on the bum. It's so difficult to put my self in her place because it would have seemed normal back then and not perverted. But if I imagine being in her and being a fourteen year old girl whose been caught smoking and has been sent to the headmaster, and then the headmaster tells me I've got to bend over his knee and be smacked by him I think I would think he was a pervert. Especially if I knew I was going to have my bare bottom smacked, which I think it usually was. I would run away I think

ReputationRep:
    If smacking constitutes a perversion, then boxing maches must be gay orgies.

ReputationRep:
    How on earth have you managed to make the connection between corporal punishment and perversion when it was a cultural norm??????

Wow. Thats all I can say

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chassi)
    I do agree though that it seems really strange that it would have happened at school, especially nowadays when teachers are too scared to even shout too much!
    Teachers who shout at children regularly are, typically, nutters. Hormonal women who are simply not right in the head in my experience. Caning, when done properly, was simply a punishment - it wasn't a teacher losing control in front of a class, it was something that should have been delivered formally, in a calm manner.

My father got caned at school - apparently you were sent to the Headmaster who explained what it was for clearly, administered it and then you were obliged to shake hands thereafter. All very civilised.

ReputationRep:
    yes well that was civilized but this is a girl having her bare bum spanked by the headmaster is that civilized?

ReputationRep:
    yes well that was civilized but this is a girl having her bare bum spanked by the headmaster is that civilized?
    The idea that someone who smacks a child is insane.
    It's nothing to do with pleasure, but punishment.

These days though there are a lot of idiots who don't get that, especially in the media.

ReputationRep:
    Punishment back then was a world away from what it is now. The belief was punishment is pain, so i don't think it was pervy at all. But how can you possibly know what goes through someones head? You can only make assumptions...

ReputationRep:
    Its not perverted! Unless the guy is a pervert in which case it is.

ReputationRep:
    I imagine that there were the same number of perverts around then as there are now, but that a greater proportion of them then were attracted by teaching, because of what they could legally do. I'm talking specifically about the situation the OP describes, by the way - if you're going to give someone corporal punishment, why not just give them a couple of whacks with the cane - for a headmaster to actually lie a teenage girl across his knees and spank her on the bare, there must have been perversion there; otherwise why would he bother doing it that way?

ReputationRep:
    i dnt think its being pervert,i think its paranoid

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.