Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking that I might firm Cardiff, and have looked around various sites to see which accommodation I'd like.

Seems like University Hall and Talybont are the biggest and might be a bit out of town and away from the University bit I don't mind that. Then there is Senghenydd Hall, Aberdare Hall, Senghenydd Road and Colum Road but I haven't found much about them.

Anyone that goes to Cardiff/is thinking of going/knows anything about it have any opinion?

I also couldn't find particular prices for each type of accommodation...

(I know that there are other Cardiff halls threads but they all seem to be very old!)

ReputationRep:
    Uni Hall is pretty decent, it's got a good community feel to it as you are a little bit away from everyone so people tend to stick together. Just be aware that you WILL have to spend money on taxis after a night out to get there (unless you fancy a nice walk!) though there are buses that run in the day. Uni hall is about £2600 p/a for ensuite and about £3000 p/a for shared bathroom. (for 09/10 so assume they'll go up a bit for 10/11)

Any questions about the other accom, feel free to ask

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomby1)
    Uni Hall is pretty decent, it's got a good community feel to it as you are a little bit away from everyone so people tend to stick together. Just be aware that you WILL have to spend money on taxis after a night out to get there (unless you fancy a nice walk!) though there are buses that run in the day. Uni hall is about £2600 p/a for ensuite and about £3000 p/a for shared bathroom. (for 09/10 so assume they'll go up a bit for 10/11)

Any questions about the other accom, feel free to ask
    2009/10 Prices
    Uni Hall shared bathroom: £2585 for the standard residential period.
    Uni Hall ensuite: £3016 for the standard residential period.
    Prices for the 2010/11 Residential period will be available from June 2010

(Original post by jamesssss)
    link: cf.ac.uk Undergraduate Residential information
    link: cf.ac.uk Residential Fees for 09/10 [PDF]

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have any info on Senghenydd hall? I'm guessing with it being close to engineering then quite a lot of the enginneers end up there. I'm hoping to do engineering but don't really want to stay halls with just engineers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard710)
    Anyone have any info on Senghenydd hall? I'm guessing with it being close to engineering then quite a lot of the enginneers end up there. I'm hoping to do engineering but don't really want to stay halls with just engineers
    It's good to be with people who do your course as obviously it's super easy to get together for studying etc. if you need to... Senghenydd Court is much nicer than Hall though

ReputationRep:
    It's good to be with people who do your course as obviously it's super easy to get together for studying etc. if you need to... Senghenydd Court is much nicer than Hall though
    Yeah I guess it is good to be with people from my course but I don't really want to live in a hall with just people from my course (or related courses for that matter)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I guess it is good to be with people from my course but I don't really want to live in a hall with just people from my course (or related courses for that matter)
    You're very unlikely to get only people from your course, obviously if you went there you'd just have a higher liklihood of ending up with someone from your course in your flat etc. Not everyone wants to be at the closest place to their lectures so people are pretty spread out

ReputationRep:
    You're very unlikely to get only people from your course, obviously if you went there you'd just have a higher liklihood of ending up with someone from your course in your flat etc. Not everyone wants to be at the closest place to their lectures so people are pretty spread out
    I suppose so yeah and there are other departments near by

ReputationRep:
    I suppose so yeah and there are other departments near by
    Yeah, Senghenydd Court/Hall is one of the closest to the main campus and the closest to the Union (plus, Court is the cheapest by far), so people will do all sorts of subjects there. Probably not Medicine, as that's much closer to Talybont.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RightSaidJames)
    Yeah, Senghenydd Court/Hall is one of the closest to the main campus and the closest to the Union (plus, Court is the cheapest by far), so people will do all sorts of subjects there. Probably not Medicine, as that's much closer to Talybont.
    You'll find a fair few medics at Senghenydd, as especially during the first year they spend more time at the Bioscience building than at the Heath, as far as I'm aware. (This is at least true for the first semester)

ReputationRep:
    i'm in sengennydd hall now. it's about 5mins from engineering and union. ten from city centre. the room sizes are pretty big, you get an ensuite and food on weeknights. ensuite is good. talybont ensuite's are basically pods hall is more of an actual room. people do all sorts of subjects considering it's 10-15mins at maximum from the main campus.

ReputationRep:
    what is the eating times for evening meals at sengennydd?? And what kind of food is it/ choice??

Are the kitchens back in the halls still pretty good for rest of day/ weekend??

Im finding it hard to make a choice, even though i know wherever i end up i will be fine.

Oh and do we get an email about accommodation or do we have to find our own way to applying??

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Talybont Talybont Talybont Talybont, there is no other option. In North atm.

ReputationRep:
    Any recommendations for accomodation for a person looking for a quieter time within Cardiff? I'm really content with halls living, though I want to try avoid the clubbing/drinking culture where I can (for health reasons).

ReputationRep:
    the food is served from 4:30 to 7:30 i think. reasonable amount of choice. tends to always be fish and then a couple of other things randomly. you get main meal, drink and desert. kitchen size is pretty small in some flats for halls but not too bad for everything except flat parties.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexa123)
    what is the eating times for evening meals at sengennydd?? And what kind of food is it/ choice??

Are the kitchens back in the halls still pretty good for rest of day/ weekend??

Im finding it hard to make a choice, even though i know wherever i end up i will be fine.

Oh and do we get an email about accommodation or do we have to find our own way to applying??

Thanks
    I think it's 5 until 7. The food can be a bit hit and miss, but it's generally okay. There's always a few things to choose from and they do vary the menu quite a bit, occasionally you walk in and they've got something that's actually really interesting, and they regularly do favourites like curry, lasagne, roast chicken etc. etc.

And yeah, the kitchens in the Senghennydd flats are fine. Not very big, but fully equipped nonetheless. Some people live there without having the meals at Trevithick and they cope just fine.

They send you a letter about applying for accommodation which has your student number on it, and then you go to this page and fill in your details.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RightSaidJames)
    I think it's 5 until 7. The food can be a bit hit and miss, but it's generally okay. There's always a few things to choose from and they do vary the menu quite a bit, occasionally you walk in and they've got something that's actually really interesting, and they regularly do favourites like curry, lasagne, roast chicken etc. etc.

And yeah, the kitchens in the Senghennydd flats are fine. Not very big, but fully equipped nonetheless. Some people live there without having the meals at Trevithick and they cope just fine.

They send you a letter about applying for accommodation which has your student number on it, and then you go to this page and fill in your details.
    ah okies, thanks for that James- a possibility then!!

And thanks for the info about applying- when i got my offer i was told to send certificates with my name and student no.- i never had a student no. at this point, so i thought it was just the ucas no.... now im worried they haven't got the right number- although i did write on it that it was ucas one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexa123)
    ah okies, thanks for that James- a possibility then!!

And thanks for the info about applying- when i got my offer i was told to send certificates with my name and student no.- i never had a student no. at this point, so i thought it was just the ucas no.... now im worried they haven't got the right number- although i did write on it that it was ucas one.
    No, for that they mean your UCAS number... the student number that you need to apply for accommodation is specific to Cardiff and as such they have to give it to you first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrWebb)
    Any recommendations for accomodation for a person looking for a quieter time within Cardiff? I'm really content with halls living, though I want to try avoid the clubbing/drinking culture where I can (for health reasons).
    I'd think you should definitely avoid Talybont, then... Within any of the other halls, though, I think you can avoid that scene if you want; it's just making sure you meet people and stuff, and then wherever you are you should be okay. Maybe applying for halls a bit further out (so not Colum, Aberconway, Senghennydd) would be a good idea. I don't know what it's like in those places, but I imagine it's not really quiet. I'd suggest Roy Jenkins - definitely the quietest halls. It's where I am now, and I love it. They're not modern or anything but they're perfectly liveable, and lots of space. There are only 6 flats of 5 rooms, so just 30 people altogether (plus couples in a separate buildings), and it's far enough from the centre that you don't get drunken people shouting through your window, but only a 10-15 minute walk from Humanties, Law, the main building, etc. I don't go clubbing/drinking myself, but there are others here that do. But I think if you go for the smaller halls, you're going to find less people who are wildly into that scene, because we're trying to avoid it too.

Okay, this was kind of rambling...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by siana17)
    I'd think you should definitely avoid Talybont, then... Within any of the other halls, though, I think you can avoid that scene if you want; it's just making sure you meet people and stuff, and then wherever you are you should be okay. Maybe applying for halls a bit further out (so not Colum, Aberconway, Senghennydd) would be a good idea. I don't know what it's like in those places, but I imagine it's not really quiet. I'd suggest Roy Jenkins - definitely the quietest halls. It's where I am now, and I love it. They're not modern or anything but they're perfectly liveable, and lots of space. There are only 6 flats of 5 rooms, so just 30 people altogether (plus couples in a separate buildings), and it's far enough from the centre that you don't get drunken people shouting through your window, but only a 10-15 minute walk from Humanties, Law, the main building, etc. I don't go clubbing/drinking myself, but there are others here that do. But I think if you go for the smaller halls, you're going to find less people who are wildly into that scene, because we're trying to avoid it too.

Okay, this was kind of rambling...
    I think this was kind of helpful :yep:

I'll definitely look into 'Roy Jenkins' and others of a similar nature, although I'm always up for being as socialable and silly as anyone else, I try to avoid having to involve alcohol into this :p: 10-15 minutes from the humanities department and main building sounds ideal!

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.