Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The main differences are that Court is self-catered and Hall is not. Court has shared bathrooms and Hall is ensuite. And Court is cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by portugueseninja)
    The main differences are that Court is self-catered and Hall is not. Court has shared bathrooms and Hall is ensuite. And Court is cheaper.
    First of all it's part-catered - you only get evening meals Monday to Friday. Secondly, you can choose to be self-catered if you want to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lg4d)
    I hear Hall is arranged as corridors instead of a flat..with this being the case, how many people share a kitchen? Corridors always make me feel like there would be a less sociable atmosphere than a flat...but it seems that isn't the case? Are they essentially flats but larger? I'm not entirely sure what the difference is, unless it is merely the number of people in one 'section'?

Also, in regard to Court, what do you mean by 'confined'?

Thank you for your help!
    6 People in each flat, sharing a kitchen. The corridors don't really seem to be much of a problem for us at the moment as some people tend to leave doors open to allow people to come in, and if not, you can just call your friend and ask them to let you in.

As for "flats but larger" its essentially a series of 6 bedrooms, and a kitchen per flat, except for 1 flat which is 10 rooms to a very large kitchen.

By confined, I don't mean the rooms, they have plenty of space for anything you will need. It's just the impression I get when I go there. The corridors are narrower, and the kitchens are smaller. Not that its a problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BradyM)
    6 People in each flat, sharing a kitchen. The corridors don't really seem to be much of a problem for us at the moment as some people tend to leave doors open to allow people to come in, and if not, you can just call your friend and ask them to let you in.

As for "flats but larger" its essentially a series of 6 bedrooms, and a kitchen per flat, except for 1 flat which is 10 rooms to a very large kitchen.

By confined, I don't mean the rooms, they have plenty of space for anything you will need. It's just the impression I get when I go there. The corridors are narrower, and the kitchens are smaller. Not that its a problem.
    I wonder why they distinguish between flats and corridors? Maybe it's the lack of shared bathroom? What you described sounds just like a flat to me, if not more so when you account for the larger corridor (minor detail!) and kitchen. Thank you for the information, I'm beginning to think Hall might sway itself more in my favour..hmm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RightSaidJames)
    First of all it's part-catered - you only get evening meals Monday to Friday. Secondly, you can choose to be self-catered if you want to.

is that true for sengh hall? you don't have to have the part catered option???

ReputationRep:
    ive changed my uni accomodation so many times now! this is my final (fingers crossed, i wont change my mind again!):

1. sengh court
    2. gordon
    3. sengh hall
    4. hodge
    5. student houses (village)
    6. cartwright
    7. colum
    8. student houses (colum rd)
    9. roy jenkins
    10. talybont north

as you can see i've gone for price rather than quality in most cases. i'm still looking forward to an amazing year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by christykai1049)
    Yes its true, although I believe you have to call the residence people, and tell them you don't want it. The opposite works for Court, you can request to have it.

ReputationRep:
    Um, yeah, I assume so. Nowhere apart from the catered wings of Aberdare Hall and University Hall doesn't have adequate kitchen facilities, the catered thing is just an option. A lot of people do go for it though, it's nice not to have to cook in the evenings and it's good value overall. Plus it's a good way to meet people from your own and other halls.

ReputationRep:
    ive changed my uni accomodation so many times now! this is my final (fingers crossed, i wont change my mind again!):

1. sengh court
    2. gordon
    3. sengh hall
    4. hodge
    5. student houses (village)
    6. cartwright
    7. colum
    8. student houses (colum rd)
    9. roy jenkins
    10. talybont north

as you can see i've gone for price rather than quality in most cases. i'm still looking forward to an amazing year!
    Good choice - but don't forget to pick the multiple options (reduced rooms, etc.) for each accomodation to reduce the likelihood of you getting something that isn't one of those, although in reality the majority of people get their top 3.

ReputationRep:
    this thread is mostly directed to people who already have an unconditional firm offer to study at cardiff.

just wondering (see thread title). ucas made my place unconditional firm on 7th may, and so i'm wondering how long will it be til i receive my accommodation place. surely it wont be in august, with all the other a level, btec, ib people, right?

*sigh* i'm so tired of waiting...i want to know now! hehe x

ReputationRep:
    It comes in July/August, well before Results Day

But rest assured that the chances of you not getting your top choice are minuscule.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RightSaidJames)
    It comes in July/August, well before Results Day

But rest assured that the chances of you not getting your top choice are minuscule.

YYYEEESSS! thanks for the heads up! x

ReputationRep:
    I have as wanted to be close to town and the social sciences building

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by izzi58)
    I have as wanted to be close to town and the social sciences building

good choice! :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yes:

ReputationRep:
    im basically just plain lazy tbh

ReputationRep:
    I stayed in a student house on colum road in first year and I don't recommend it.

It wasn't even one of my 10 options :/ We never really "bonded" as a whole group so never went out, I feel I missed out a lot because I didn't have the "halls" experience and I think if I was on a larger course I would have struggled to make many friends because of it, as I found most people who were doing big courses went out a lot with their flatmates, whereas I formed closer friendships with my coursemates.

Obviously though, everyone's experiences are different and there may well be people who stayed in a student house and had a blast! Just if I were to do it again, I'd make sure that I moved to Talybont or otherwise really early on (they allow you to do this if there are spaces).

Jamin

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

Just made Cardiff my firm choice and now looking to reserve accomodation. I'm taking a business course and have decided that living in one of the Talybont halls would be the best for me. Right now, I'm deciding between Talybont South and Talybont Court as they're the closest halls to it.

Would love any help deciding between the two.. Is the £400 extra on Talybont Court really worth it? And what are the general pros and cons of the two? Thanks all! Well appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Talybont Court is comfortable living... but South is very adequate nonetheless. So if you consider a big bedroom and nice living room to be a home comfort, then go for it. Otherwise, think of how useful that extra £400 would be...

The cons of South are the tiny beds; they're thinner than single beds. Again, they're perfectly adequate, just not what people are used to. On the plus side, North and South are slightly more sociable and party-ish than Court because of the way they're laid out and also because of the type of people who apply to them rather than to Court. Nothing against the Court lot, but some of them tend to keep to themselves a bit more or associate only with their own kind (rahs). That's purely a generalisation though.

ReputationRep:
    Re: Deciding between Talybonts

Talybont Court is comfortable living... but South is very adequate nonetheless. So if you consider a big bedroom and nice living room to be a home comfort, then go for it. Otherwise, think of how useful that extra £400 would be...

The cons of South are the tiny beds; they're thinner than single beds. Again, they're perfectly adequate, just not what people are used to. On the plus side, North and South are slightly more sociable and party-ish than Court because of the way they're laid out and also because of the type of people who apply to them rather than to Court. Nothing against the Court lot, but some of them tend to keep to themselves a bit more or associate only with their own kind (rahs). That's purely a generalisation though.
    Thanks very much for the info! Very helpful! Given what you've just said, for you personally, which would you go for? Also, I'm from a standard working class family, but we're able to afford Court, so I shouldn't really think that everyone there are richie riches. Definitely a few though!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone think self catered accommodation is worth it? From experience, what are people's thought's on this?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.