Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lancashiresmm)
    Does anyone think self catered accommodation is worth it? From experience, what are people's thought's on this?
    What do you mean by worth it? Cooking your own food will always be cheaper than buying it pre-cooked for you, and it means you have more flexibility. Besides, nowhere apart from Aberdare Hall does fully catered anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I've got Cardiff down as a firm to study Mechanical Engineering so presumed that Senghenydd would be the best choice for me. Hoping to be semi-catered as well.

I have friends who went to Talybont and had an amazing experience there and I was wondering whether I should go to Talybont for the atmosphere and the sport facilities or Senghenydd for the proximity to the department and the city centre? Any advice is much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geth_the_jack)
    I've got Cardiff down as a firm to study Mechanical Engineering so presumed that Senghenydd would be the best choice for me. Hoping to be semi-catered as well.

I have friends who went to Talybont and had an amazing experience there and I was wondering whether I should go to Talybont for the atmosphere and the sport facilities or Senghenydd for the proximity to the department and the city centre? Any advice is much appreciated.
    Senghenydd Court can be just as lively as Talybont, and at the end of the day atmosphere means nothing unless you make a personal effort to get involved. All the halls are really sociable, I don't know anyone who was constantly bored in their first year (unless they chose not to get involved, of course).

You could perhaps consider Gordon Hall - it's just as close as Senghenydd is because you don't have to cross the railway bridge, and it has a unique feel to it because there's corridors instead of flats, hence everyone goes out as a big group.

ReputationRep:
    So where's everyone chosen for their acommodation? I'm hoping to get my first choice as I've had an unconditional since August last year and they process based on the date you got your unconditional first, then by application date, and I applied in march iirc, so fingers crossed.

I put Senghennydd Court first, then Hall. Then Talybont North/South, then the 2 Gordon Hall options and filled in the rest without a huuuuuge amount of thought.

I put Senghennydd first mainly because of how close it is to the computing department, I'm planning on joining the swimming/polo club so better to travel talybont way twice a week than however many more a week in the other direction...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duffking)
    So where's everyone chosen for their acommodation? I'm hoping to get my first choice as I've had an unconditional since August last year and they process based on the date you got your unconditional first, then by application date, and I applied in march iirc, so fingers crossed.

I put Senghennydd Court first, then Hall. Then Talybont North/South, then the 2 Gordon Hall options and filled in the rest without a huuuuuge amount of thought.

I put Senghennydd first mainly because of how close it is to the computing department, I'm planning on joining the swimming/polo club so better to travel talybont way twice a week than however many more a week in the other direction...
    I've also had an unconditional since August for CompSci. Think I put down Talybont South/North as my first options. I know it's a bit of a walk but I don't mind.

ReputationRep:
    I applied to Sengh Hall and then Court. I'm hoping to get one of those.

ReputationRep:
    I know it might be a bit of a lame question, but when we get there in September, do we have to go to the main building first, or can we go to the halls straight away?
    Also, how are you guys going to pay for halls?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FieldLeftBlank)
    I know it might be a bit of a lame question, but when we get there in September, do we have to go to the main building first, or can we go to the halls straight away?
    You go to your residences office to pick up your key, which will be nearby. As for the main building, heh, I've only ever been there three times in two years, and two of those times was to admire the library. Unless you do a mainstream science subject (Physics, Chemistry, Biology) or maybe Medicine then the Main building is just the pretty building they put on the front of the prospectus

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FieldLeftBlank)
    Well, most people get student loans so pay for their accomodation out of that.

As for payment methods, I think it said on the residences website you can pay it by credit or debit card in full on arrival, or before you arrive, (but then who has £3000 lying around to pay in one go? :confused: ) or set up a direct debit to a UK bank account (which goes out in three installments around October, January and May).

Obviously rather tricky if you don't live in the UK though and can't open a UK bank account before you get there, but the website seems to suggest it's okay to just wait until you've had a chance to open an account as long as you've got the direct debit sorted out before the first installment is due.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ali1331)
    I've also had an unconditional since August for CompSci. Think I put down Talybont South/North as my first options. I know it's a bit of a walk but I don't mind.
    Heh, I wonder if we had the same visit day a while back then :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heidigirl)
    Obviously rather tricky if you don't live in the UK though and can't open a UK bank account before you get there, but the website seems to suggest it's okay to just wait until you've had a chance to open an account as long as you've got the direct debit sorted out before the first installment is due.
    Yes, that's the problem.

Anyway, thanks to both of you for answering

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sezzy492)
    Hey i'm going to Cardiff this September for adult nursing =]

I have no idea what to do for accommodation! Can anyone tell me where most nursing/medical students stay??
    Heyy I'm doing Child Nursing at Cardiff in September.. I've chosen Allensbank house as my first choice because its right opposite the hospital and heard good reviews about it. I chose Talybont North as my second option because its one of the most popular halls, very big and is still close to the hospital campus. There was only one more choice available, which i think is due to our study year being longer than other students, and that was Column Hall which also seems really nice and nearby, all have ensuite aswell which is good =].

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got an offer for their accom. yet? I applied aaaaages ago and have an unconditional and still haven't heard anything.

ReputationRep:
    The admissions website says starting from late July. Deferred people will probably hear first, I guess other will hear after they get their results, since they say they do it by the order you received the unconditional offer, then by date of application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RightSaidJames)
    Colum Hall and the Student Houses on Colum Road are closest, and there's also Aberdare Hall which is ridiculously close but girls-only. After that you've got Senghennydd Court/Hall which are 10-15 minutes away. Talybont Court is about 10-15 minutes away (but in the northernly direction, so away from town).

There's a map on page 14 of this PDF document:
    http://cardiff.ac.uk/resid/resources...es%20Guide.pdf
    How's aberdare hall..HONESTLY? i heard that there no facilities & all,but on the website they mentioned about having a private library & garden? Thanks in advance for your help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RightSaidJames)
    The return train fare from Cardiff to Bristol is £6.20 with a railcard, and it only takes 45 mins

As for getting to London, your best bet is Megabus or National Express; if you book in advance you pay £6 at the very most, sometimes it's only £1!

Not really, there'll be occasional flat parties where everyone is invited, but most people just go out as a flat or as a smallish friendship group from a mix of flats. Like I said, not everyone's social life is centred around where they live, because there'll be plenty of people to meet on their course and in clubs/societies. Although actually Gordon Hall goes out in huge groups because they're on corridors rather than in flats.

The room they show in the 360 view (the Shared bathroom one, the ensuite ones are only for Postgrads) is the smallest room in the flat, the others are slightly more spacious. Also, notice how much bigger the bed is compared to in other halls - in Senghennydd Hall, Colum Hall, Gordon, Talybont North and South, Cartwright Court the beds are narrower than a single! Whereas the Senghennydd Court beds are slightly bigger than a single; they can definitely sleep two if you have someone staying over.

The Senghennydd Hall 360 view is actually slightly deceptive; look at the width of the bed (which, as I said, is smaller than a single), then use that as a comparison for the rest of the room; you've got much less floor space. Still, Senghennydd Hall is slightly bigger than in other Halls; look at Colum or Talybont North and South!

It's done according to two dates; the first is when you got your unconditional, the second is when you applied. That means that if you have an unconditional now, you get first pick before all the people that only get unconditionals after the uni gets their exam results. The chances of you not getting your first choice are tiny. I don't think that helps with Parking Permits though, but it might do.
    Hello James!
    I'd like to ask bout sengh.court...in the 360 view,the wardrobe cupboard & the table looks TINY! is it really that small in real life? iam a girl & i need a bigger table to put all my jewelleries..girly stuff so i was wondering whether there would actually be enough space to do that..the beds do look bigger than the rest. on the side note,how are the gyms in cardiff? do you know about the rates? Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nkg0504)
    Can someone help me...

North or South?

I'm applying for Pharmacy... I do prefer talybont court but heard the environment isn't as good as north or south
    Iam doing pharmacy too! isnt it abit far? from talybont to pharm building or uni for that matter?

ReputationRep:
    has anyone, with an unconditional heard anything yet, I got my unconditional in may and have heard nothing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by huntthehaunted)
    has anyone, with an unconditional heard anything yet, I got my unconditional in may and have heard nothing
    As has already been mentioned, the website says they start giving out accomodation offers in late July. So I'd guess you want to keep an eye out over the next week or so for any emails.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ironmike.bjj)
    Hi All,

Just made Cardiff my firm choice and now looking to reserve accomodation. I'm taking a business course and have decided that living in one of the Talybont halls would be the best for me. Right now, I'm deciding between Talybont South and Talybont Court as they're the closest halls to it.

Would love any help deciding between the two.. Is the £400 extra on Talybont Court really worth it? And what are the general pros and cons of the two? Thanks all! Well appreciated!

Hey I lived in Court for a year...some pros...

Nice size room.
    Probably best ensuite bathrooms out of all the accom.
    quietest area out of taly accoms (good for when you have exams etc.)
    closest to town out of the 3

Bad points...
    Expensive.
    Can be anti-social ...lots of well off people...you can sometimes be stigmitised as a snob...even if you really aren't. :/

If i had the chance to pick again, i would have gone for north or south...even if the rooms are worse! Always sounded better fun to me

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.