Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophiep_05)
    hi
    does anyone know how likely it is that i will get my first accomodation choice?
    i picked talybont south and ive got a conditional offer.

thanks
    Most people get one of their top three, but you're more likely than not to get your first choice as no hall is disproportionately popular; different people pick different halls for different reasons (price, location, facilities, party reputation (or not), being the first one on the list...).

ReputationRep:
    Yay, just got my offer.

Senghennydd Hall
    Second Floor, Flat 9

So, any flatmates?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RightSaidJames)
    Most people get one of their top three, but you're more likely than not to get your first choice as no hall is disproportionately popular; different people pick different halls for different reasons (price, location, facilities, party reputation (or not), being the first one on the list...).
    Thankyou!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, just thought I'd give my input of what I know about the different halls...
    Well firstly, Colum Hall, I stayed there last year and don't expect a full size bed! There were rumours that it was going to be completely gutted out and re built but doesn't seem that way. So you're stuck with beds that are 3/4 of a single, windows that have dodgy locks and squeaky doors but otherwise the rooms aren't too bad and they are en suite!
    Uni hall is about 2 miles away from everything! They have a bus service but they aren't as regular as you'd hope and they usually come about 15 minutes before the end of the lecture so there's some waiting time. Oh and no bus service on the weekend although it is convenient for drops to heath hospital and the all nations centre where some exams are held.
    I had a friend at Senghennyd who was evacuated from his room when the ceiling caved in oh happy days!
    Some of the Talybont rooms had 'silver fish' under the mattresses... not a nice idea!
    All sounds bad so far but they could be far worse! As long as you are prepared for everything and also prepared to clean a bit as soon as you're there you should be ok, and the staff will get things done after a bit of a moan and a bit of patience so if anything doesn't work make sure you let them know. We got a new cooker out of our moaning!
    One last thing... wear clothes in bed or at least have them close, fire alarms go off at ANY time of day, even 4 in the morning

ReputationRep:
    I've heard this silver fish thing before about Talybont, how many of the rooms have them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ali1331)
    I've heard this silver fish thing before about Talybont, how many of the rooms have them?
    I think it's restricted to the older blocks (of which there are fewer and fewer as they keep renovating them), and if they find them (or someone reports them) then they move you out while it gets fixed.

ReputationRep:
    HI everybody!

I will be in a student house on Colum road on september, I accepted the offer yesterday. Is there anybody here who choose or used to live in a student house?

Bonne journée, have a nice day!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FieldLeftBlank)
    Yay, just got my offer.

Senghennydd Hall
    Second Floor, Flat 9

So, any flatmates?
    I'm on the floor below. Flat 1, room 1. I guess I'll be the first to be robbed. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaiser MacCleg)
    I'm on the floor below. Flat 1, room 1. I guess I'll be the first to be robbed. :p:
    Same floor as you I think; but Flat 7 room 46.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaiser MacCleg)
    I would keep an eye on students living there, too. You know what they say about Bulgarians. Got anything valuable? :perv:

So, when are you guys going there?

ReputationRep:
    I'll probably be moving in on the 23rd (Thursday) to avoid the weekend rush as best as I can. It's not too bad for me moving in wise as I have relatives in Aberdare who've offered to cart some stuff down for me if I need it.

Came across this the other day, worth buying now do people reckon?

http://shop.cardiffstudents.com/box-...2010-wristband

ReputationRep:
    If the website made any sense and I could figure out which was to get, sure

ReputationRep:
    I think I'll have to ask some of the people I know who started at Cardiff last year...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FieldLeftBlank)
    So, when are you guys going there?
    22nd for me, probably. It's not a horrendous journey from where I live (~3hrs), so I may as well get there early.

ReputationRep:
    I live in north Wiltshire, so it's not long for me either, and I'll probably go the first day so the 22nd as well

ReputationRep:
    I've got at least a twelve hour drive. :sigh:

And I'm reliant on the folks and they keep making silly suggestions. Plus my mum can only take the Friday off, so it's looking like they have to drop me off in Cardiff, my sister off in Aberystwyth (she's starting her 2nd year), and get back here in three days.

Feeling a little bit worried, because I would rather they didn't just abandon me and run; I at least want to get a good food shop out of them and rob them of most of their English cash first.

It's looking like I'll probably arrive Saturday then (if I'm VERY lucky maybe late afternoon Friday but I doubt it).

ReputationRep:
    I think I'll go on the 22nd as well. I have to go up to Staffordshire for a wedding on the 25th so I want to be in my room a couple of days before that to get settled. Not long to go now!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, not long at all, got so much stuff to buy!

ReputationRep:
    Ahh I'm moving in on the 24th.
    It takes like half hour/40 minutes to drive to cardiff from here.
    I'm really not going all that far.

I was wondering about those wristbands too!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Anyone is staying at allensbank?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.