Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrWebb)
    Any recommendations for accomodation for a person looking for a quieter time within Cardiff? I'm really content with halls living, though I want to try avoid the clubbing/drinking culture where I can (for health reasons).
    Hope youve managed to choose a few places you wanna stay!

Im not mega into going out all the time, although i do go on nights out, im not a heavy drinker at all- but i still want to live somewhere sociable.

I too want somewhere where its not mega noisy, but i would hate to be stuck in a quiet hall where nobody was sociable!

ReputationRep:
    Where would be the best place place for me if I wanted a good social life and close to the business buildings and less important than the above 2 close to the city centre?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natty12)
    Where would be the best place place for me if I wanted a good social life and close to the business buildings and less important than the above 2 close to the city centre?
    Colum Hall or Aberconway Hall, as the business school is on the doorstep of Aberconway and across the road from Colum.

There's a handy map of where the residences and departments are on page 14 of this:
    http://cardiff.ac.uk/resid/resources...es%20Guide.pdf

ReputationRep:
    aberconway isnt available this year as an option, i dont know whether the uni has lost the lease or something but its not on the website or 2010/11 and wasnt available when i applied for my accomadation sunday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spudhead1991)
    aberconway isnt available this year as an option, i dont know whether the uni has lost the lease or something but its not on the website or 2010/11 and wasnt available when i applied for my accomadation sunday.
    I noticed that and had to hastily find another choice:confused:

ReputationRep:
    iv just applied for talybont court 1st choice
    then talybont south for my second...can anyone tell me what court is like?
    thanksss

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sel xox)
    iv just applied for talybont court 1st choice
    then talybont south for my second...can anyone tell me what court is like?
    thanksss
    Well the stereotype is that it's full of rahs, rich kids and mummy's boys... but that's stereotypes for you, it's probably not actually true. However, I do know that the layout of it makes it hard to meet people from other flats without going out of your way.

On the plus side, it's pretty well furnished and it has huge kitchens and pretty decent sized rooms.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, which halls are closest to Humanities building?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArushiS)
    Hey, which halls are closest to Humanities building?
    Colum Hall and the Student Houses on Colum Road are closest, and there's also Aberdare Hall which is ridiculously close but girls-only. After that you've got Senghennydd Court/Hall which are 10-15 minutes away. Talybont Court is about 10-15 minutes away (but in the northernly direction, so away from town).

There's a map on page 14 of this PDF document:
    http://cardiff.ac.uk/resid/resources...es%20Guide.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RightSaidJames)
    Well the stereotype is that it's full of rahs, rich kids and mummy's boys... but that's stereotypes for you, it's probably not actually true. However, I do know that the layout of it makes it hard to meet people from other flats without going out of your way.

On the plus side, it's pretty well furnished and it has huge kitchens and pretty decent sized rooms.

yes ive looked at some peoples comments on it and said that theres alot of rich kids, but i guess we will never no as im not rich and iv applied there so it probs is a stereotype

thanks you x

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so I just got the letter with my student number. I'm firming Cardiff but I can't do that yet because I'm still waiting for the last uni to reply. Can I apply for accomodation before I've firmed it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FieldLeftBlank)
    Ok, so I just got the letter with my student number. I'm firming Cardiff but I can't do that yet because I'm still waiting for the last uni to reply. Can I apply for accomodation before I've firmed it?
    Do you need this last uni as an insurance choice?? Because if not then just firm cardiff, get your insurance and decline the others,including the one that hasn't replied.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexa123)
    Do you need this last uni as an insurance choice?? Because if not then just firm cardiff, get your insurance and decline the others,including the one that hasn't replied.
    Yeah, that's the point, I want to put it as my insurance choice. I'm running out of patience, though

ReputationRep:
    Yes, that's fine, I did the same, as long as you intend to firm them then it doesn't matter. Of course, if you actually changed your mind and put Cardiff as insurance you'd be put at the bottom of the pile so you'd be unlikely to get your top choices (or top 10, even).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RightSaidJames)
    Yes, that's fine, I did the same, as long as you intend to firm them then it doesn't matter. Of course, if you actually changed your mind and put Cardiff as insurance you'd be put at the bottom of the pile so you'd be unlikely to get your top choices (or top 10, even).
    Ok, thanks
    Erm... around how many choices should I put in?

ReputationRep:
    Ok, thanks
    Erm... around how many choices should I put in?
    I think there's a recommended minimum of 10, but personally I think it's best to put in as many choices as the thing will let you; if you're going to end up in somewhere that isn't ideal, you may as well say which ones you'd be okay with and leave out the ones you really don't want to go to. So yeah, rate as many as you can in order of preference, not forgetting about the student houses because those are a pretty good alternative to halls.

ReputationRep:
    Is there one with a gym in it? I might have just imagined that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christina90)
    Is there one with a gym in it? I might have just imagined that...
    Talybont has a sports centre with a gym in it, which you can read about here:
    http://cardiff.ac.uk/sport/facilitie...ont/index.html

(it's open to all students, as well)

Plus there's a gym and squash courts on campus:
    http://cardiff.ac.uk/sport/facilitie...ace/index.html

And the general info on Sport and Exercise is here:
    http://cardiff.ac.uk/sport/index.html

ReputationRep:
    How strange that Aberconway no longer an option... Does anyone know why? They're big halls, aren't they, and there's nothing to replace them... Won't this mean they'll be a load more people in need of accommodation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by siana17)
    How strange that Aberconway no longer an option... Does anyone know why? They're big halls, aren't they, and there's nothing to replace them... Won't this mean they'll be a load more people in need of accommodation?
    I'm sure I read somewhere (cant find it now) that Aberconway was for postgraduates from next year

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.