Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by these things take time)
    Is Colum Hall sociable, and in general what are the people there like?
    It's a typical student hall really, there's all sorts of people there and if you're the sociable type then you'll find it pretty easy to meet people like you. My girlfriend lives there now and I get the impression that it's not as lively this year as it was when I was there, but there's still a fair bit going on in her flat and they seem to know people from other flats too. The fact that it's close to uni and town means that a lot of people will go there with nightlife in mind, although it obviously varies from year to year because there'll be different people there and you can't predict that kind of thing.

I was on the ground floor and we used to have massive parties on a fairly regular basis, it was pretty crazy looking back at it.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone else submitted their accomodation applications yet?
    I did mine today :woo: Had to pick 10 places although I really only want to go to my top one. My top 3 were Taly court, south, north
    after that just picked all ensuites to fill up spaces lol

ReputationRep:
    yeah, iv gone for the senghetto!

ReputationRep:
    I went for Gordon, anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    Wait after you firm cardiff do they send you information about how to apply in the post or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natty12)
    Wait after you firm cardiff do they send you information about how to apply in the post or something?
    Nah, I got a letter by post like a month and a half after receiving my offer (offer, not firming it). With the student number you're supposed to use when applying for accomodation.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be taking my car to uni so obv I'll need somewhere to park. How necessary are the parking permits offered by some of the halls? And also, they seem to have very few parking spaces compared to how many students live in each hall - if I pay the £131.25 for parking, is there a possibility that I won't ever actually get to park there?? Should I let the fact that I'll have a car influence which halls I pick (some don't have parking) or will I always find somewhere anyway? Didn't mean to ramble on so much lol! Thanks to anyone that can help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christina90)
    I'll be taking my car to uni so obv I'll need somewhere to park. How necessary are the parking permits offered by some of the halls? And also, they seem to have very few parking spaces compared to how many students live in each hall - if I pay the £131.25 for parking, is there a possibility that I won't ever actually get to park there?? Should I let the fact that I'll have a car influence which halls I pick (some don't have parking) or will I always find somewhere anyway? Didn't mean to ramble on so much lol! Thanks to anyone that can help
    Cardiff is not a car-friendly uni. There is nowhere for students to park on campus, the spaces in halls are very limited and, like you said, most don't have parking spaces at all. Furthermore, if you don't get a parking permit (or live in a hall without parking spaces) then you are not allowed to keep a car within 2 miles of campus. If you are lucky enough to get a permit then it should be possible to find somewhere to park because other people won't be allowed to use those spaces, but that will only let you park outside your halls, nowhere else.

As for finding somewhere else to park, your only choice is pay and display or buying short-term parking permits because there is no free parking and plenty of parking wardens, and the council won't issue long-term parking permits to people living in halls.

Why are you taking a car to uni, anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natty12)
    No, once they've given you your offer they send it out in a week or so, you don't need to firm them before applying as long as you do it eventually.

ReputationRep:
    Try to get into Taly North, you can pretty easily get a parking permit there and you will be able to park just by the halls. There's really no point driving into lectures etc. but it'd be pretty useful for those big shops! You can make a damn fortune giving people lifts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RightSaidJames)
    Cardiff is not a car-friendly uni. There is nowhere for students to park on campus, the spaces in halls are very limited and, like you said, most don't have parking spaces at all. Furthermore, if you don't get a parking permit (or live in a hall without parking spaces) then you are not allowed to keep a car within 2 miles of campus. If you are lucky enough to get a permit then it should be possible to find somewhere to park because other people won't be allowed to use those spaces, but that will only let you park outside your halls, nowhere else.

As for finding somewhere else to park, your only choice is pay and display or buying short-term parking permits because there is no free parking and plenty of parking wardens, and the council won't issue long-term parking permits to people living in halls.

Why are you taking a car to uni, anyway?
    Thanks for the info. So if I do manage to get halls with parking spaces and a permit, I will definitely have a parking place? I realised from the open day how little parking there was around, which is why I'm getting a bit worried about what to do! I kinda need to take my car because I'm coming from London, so it will be a lot cheaper for me to drive home (esp transporting any belongings) rather than getting a train.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomby1)
    Try to get into Taly North, you can pretty easily get a parking permit there and you will be able to park just by the halls. There's really no point driving into lectures etc. but it'd be pretty useful for those big shops! You can make a damn fortune giving people lifts
    Yeah Taly North and University Hall are gonna be my top choices!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the info. So if I do manage to get halls with parking spaces and a permit, I will definitely have a parking place? I realised from the open day how little parking there was around, which is why I'm getting a bit worried about what to do! I kinda need to take my car because I'm coming from London, so it will be a lot cheaper for me to drive home (esp transporting any belongings) rather than getting a train.
    So? Most people manage without. I don't know anyone who brought their car to uni while they were in halls. Literally no one. I'm sure some people do, but there really is no point.

As for expense, you can always travel home for the weekend by Coach. If you buy in advance then it's like £3 - £9 each way on Megabus, sometimes even less, with similar prices on National Express. The only problem with that is that you'd need to get someone to drop you off at the start and end of the year, (maybe at Christmas and Easter depending on how much you'd need to take home) but at other times it's perfectly possible to manage for a weekend or so with a suitcase and rucksack loaded onto a coach.

But yeah, they assign parking permits depending on how many spaces they have in the car park. You don't get a reserved space or anything, but in theory the only people in the car parks will be people allowed to use them. The only possible issue you'd have would be that visitors are allowed to use some of the car parks at weekends, such as those in Senghenydd Court, but then I'm sure for every extra person you have using the car parks there'll be someone else who's driven home for the weekend and left their space empty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RightSaidJames)
    So? Most people manage without. I don't know anyone who brought their car to uni while they were in halls. Literally no one. I'm sure some people do, but there really is no point.

As for expense, you can always travel home for the weekend by Coach. If you buy in advance then it's like £3 - £9 each way on Megabus, sometimes even less, with similar prices on National Express. The only problem with that is that you'd need to get someone to drop you off at the start and end of the year, (maybe at Christmas and Easter depending on how much you'd need to take home) but at other times it's perfectly possible to manage for a weekend or so with a suitcase and rucksack loaded onto a coach.

But yeah, they assign parking permits depending on how many spaces they have in the car park. You don't get a reserved space or anything, but in theory the only people in the car parks will be people allowed to use them. The only possible issue you'd have would be that visitors are allowed to use some of the car parks at weekends, such as those in Senghenydd Court, but then I'm sure for every extra person you have using the car parks there'll be someone else who's driven home for the weekend and left their space empty.
    According to Megabus it would cost around £18 to get home and then back to Cardiff, which is roughly how much it would cost me in petrol. Plus if I drive I have the comfort of my own peace and quiet, and no hassle of travelling to and from the coach (I live nowhere near London Victoria).
    Thanks for the info though, it's helped a lot.

ReputationRep:
    According to Megabus it would cost around £18 to get home and then back to Cardiff, which is roughly how much it would cost me in petrol. Plus if I drive I have the comfort of my own peace and quiet, and no hassle of travelling to and from the coach (I live nowhere near London Victoria).
    That's at the very most though, you can get fares for as low as £3 each way and most are £6 rather than £9. The earlier you book the cheaper it is. Also, you're not murdering teeny baby penguins with your extra pollution :p:

Anyway, glad to help. Anything else you want to know, just ask

ReputationRep:
    i use national express all the time from london to cardiff. 99percent of the time i play about 5quid each way.
    Consider the hassle of having a car and worrying about parking, permits, fees, etc. only take a car if you have to.

ReputationRep:
    Hey I just firmed Cardiff, I'm gonna be in the health campus (occupational therapy). I've looked at the map and from what I can tell Taly is the closest (well, the unite one is the closest but I'm not sure if i really like unite...).

What's it like (Taly that is)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittykatkat)
    Hey I just firmed Cardiff, I'm gonna be in the health campus (occupational therapy). I've looked at the map and from what I can tell Taly is the closest (well, the unite one is the closest but I'm not sure if i really like unite...).

What's it like (Taly that is)?
    Uni Halls is pretty close to the Heath Campus, I think, closer than Talybont anyway. And Allensbank House is just down the road, but that's actually run by Liberty Living rather than Cardiff Uni.

Here's a topic on Talybont that you might find helpful:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1169915

ReputationRep:
    GUYS - HELP ME PLEASE!

I've firmed Cardiff for History V100 - but I can't find my student number to do accomdation?!

Where do i get this from?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littlehobbit)
    GUYS - HELP ME PLEASE!

I've firmed Cardiff for History V100 - but I can't find my student number to do accomdation?!

Where do i get this from?!
    They send you a letter with an accommodation booklet and a letter with the number on it!

Ive finally made my choice- went for Colum hall, followed by Talybont!

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.