Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering (because Im aware that a few unis do this) do you have to pack up all your belongings from your accommodation during the holidays.
    it would be a bit of a hassle to say the least

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure you don't have to. You pay rent in the easter/christmas holidays though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by t dot sang)
    I was just wondering (because Im aware that a few unis do this) do you have to pack up all your belongings from your accommodation during the holidays.
    it would be a bit of a hassle to say the least
    No, because your rental period includes Christmas and Easter, which means you could also live there during those times if you wanted to.

ReputationRep:
    thats great, thats cleared that up. thanks mate!

ReputationRep:
    Haven't applied yet, as I still haven't received a letter from Cardiff! It's my firm choice and I want to stay at Talybont, but the time I have taken probably means it's full Anyone know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lancashiresmm)
    Haven't applied yet, as I still haven't received a letter from Cardiff! It's my firm choice and I want to stay at Talybont, but the time I have taken probably means it's full Anyone know?
    Places are not allocated until results day and they are a bit of a lottery, so don't worry too much about it. But if you want to, you can ring the residences office on 029 2087 4849 and ask for your student number, then go here to apply.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Im also planning on putting Cardiff as first choice for radiography, but stuck on accomodation, i was wondering if you can get a bus from talybont north to Heath Park campus or whether its walking only? Also if at allensbank what the situation is for getting back at night i.e. bus or walk?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by P-T)
    Hi

Im also planning on putting Cardiff as first choice for radiography, but stuck on accomodation, i was wondering if you can get a bus from talybont north to Heath Park campus or whether its walking only? Also if at allensbank what the situation is for getting back at night i.e. bus or walk?

Thanks
    I don't think there's a bus from Talybont to the hospital, but I could be wrong. You'd be looking at a 20 minute walk each way.

And yeah, there's no night buses or anything like that, so the only ways to get home are walking or taxi.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!

Im guessing it is the same them if you wanted to get from allensbank to talybont sports centre - you have to walk or taxi?
    Do you know roughly how much it is to get from city centre to allensbank at night in taxi? Also if the same applies if in University Halls?

Thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by P-T)
    Thanks!

Im guessing it is the same them if you wanted to get from allensbank to talybont sports centre - you have to walk or taxi?
    Do you know roughly how much it is to get from city centre to allensbank at night in taxi? Also if the same applies if in University Halls?

Thanks for your help
    It's possible to get buses in the day, obviously. There's a Uni Hall bus that goes from there to the Union and stops at a few other places.

A Taxi from town to Allensbank would probably cost £5-£7, more if you go in a 7-seater.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be going to Cardiff in September and am just applying for accommodation. I've got my eye on Senghennydd and the student houses around Colum Road in particular but was just wondering if anyone could give some advice for which to prioritise. I was particularly keen on Senghennydd Court for the parking, until I saw the size of the rooms...so I may put Senghennydd Hall above it, but I would really like to take my car if possible. Is it maybe possible to request a permit for Court just across the road if there are free spaces?

As said, my other choice is the houses. I am aware there is no parking for these (is it really impossible unless you have a permit?) but I can obviously live without my car if need be. Does anyone have any information on what living in the houses is like? I quite like the idea of a small group living together, a good chance to form tighter bonds, but there is always the possibility we won't get on...if this is the case I fear not having the chance to branch out that halls offer. I know you can make friends elsewhere, but it's nice to get on with people you live with or at least near, lol. Anyway, is it easy to set up your own internet in these houses? Decent living room/kitchen/general atmosphere in them (the rooms look quite big at least)? Has anyone had any experience living in them or know someone who did...I don't want to sacrifice both a car and the chance of meeting more people if you don't get a decent house haha.

Any help is much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Well if you're in halls you're going to be in a flat with other people, and if you're in a house you'll be with a group of other people. So as far as getting to form close bonds with a small group goes, you're sorted either way.

I really don't think you need the car though. Where do you live now? Cardiff is a really compact city, I can't think of any reason why you'd have to use your car.

I put Senghennydd Court as my top choice because it's a good location and it's one of the cheaper options. But Colum Road is also a good location and I think the student houses were the same cost as Senghennydd Court so that was on my list too. Just put both, you might not get your first choice anyway. And you'll only be in halls for one year, so if you put Senghennydd as your first choice for your first year and you get it, then over the course of your degree you'll experience both halls and student houses anyway

ReputationRep:
    Senghennydd Court has the biggest rooms apart from Talybont Court because they don't have ensuites. The beds are definitely bigger than most rooms; places like Senghenydd Hall are pretty cramped.

Seriously, do not bother with a car. You do not need one; Cardiff is an awful, expensive place to park, you can walk absolutely everywhere or get a train/bus (they're ridiculously regular) if you're in a rush, and as a first year student in halls or uni-owned houses it is completely impossible to get a permit unless the uni allocates you one. There is no student parking (zero, zip, zilch) outside academic buildings, only staff parking and even that is fairly limited! In terms of going home, the rail and bus links are pretty good, you're only a short ride away from Bristol Parkway and there are direct trains to London, Manchester and Nottingham that are pretty frequent. You really don't need a car, end of. In fact, if you fail to get a permit or are not allowed to apply for one, by parking an unauthorized car within 2 miles of the university campus you are breaking the terms of the contract.

As for houses, they're very much like living in a flat in halls because you're living with randoms and you still get cleaners etc., but in some ways it's better because you feel more independent and it feels more like your house than just a glorified grotty hotel. Bigger rooms, too. Obviously, there'll be other student houses nearby so you can meet your neighbours as well as your housemates, and you can always join clubs/societies or meet people from your course. Halls isn't the be-all and end-all.

ReputationRep:
    I lived in Senghenydd Court, it has the biggest rooms, you get a real sized bed (other halls have smaller than single sized beds), it has the best location (2 mins walk to town centre, right next door to science/maths/engineering, 10 mins to SU and other subject buildings) and its one of the cheapest.

I really don't reccomend bringing a car to Cardiff, its a nightmare to drive in and parking is expensive. You can walk everywhere and bus/train links are good and frequent.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys. I don't know why I'm so keen on my car, I guess cos I'm so dependent on it now, lol. It was primarily for transporting my things easier between London and Cardiff and visiting Bristol (bf is there)...I hate trains but then again hey, I suppose that's just life lol. So not really much difference between living in halls or houses? Do halls have an hall-centric socials, out of interest?

So Senghennydd Court rooms ARE big? It's just the rooms look rather small in the photos on the Residences website 360 view...I guess they can be deceptive?

Also, does anyone know how they allocate rooms? Is it a first come, first serve basis? Only I had to firm late because my other choices took so long to reply so I am applying for residence relatively late, which sucks haha. Does having an unconditional make any difference due to having a completely certain place (as opposed to potentially not making the grades or whatever)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lg4d)
    Thanks guys. I don't know why I'm so keen on my car, I guess cos I'm so dependent on it now, lol. It was primarily for transporting my things easier between London and Cardiff and visiting Bristol (bf is there)...I hate trains but then again hey, I suppose that's just life lol.
    The return train fare from Cardiff to Bristol is £6.20 with a railcard, and it only takes 45 mins

As for getting to London, your best bet is Megabus or National Express; if you book in advance you pay £6 at the very most, sometimes it's only £1!

So not really much difference between living in halls or houses? Do halls have an hall-centric socials, out of interest?
    Not really, there'll be occasional flat parties where everyone is invited, but most people just go out as a flat or as a smallish friendship group from a mix of flats. Like I said, not everyone's social life is centred around where they live, because there'll be plenty of people to meet on their course and in clubs/societies. Although actually Gordon Hall goes out in huge groups because they're on corridors rather than in flats.

So Senghennydd Court rooms ARE big? It's just the rooms look rather small in the photos on the Residences website 360 view...I guess they can be deceptive?
    The room they show in the 360 view (the Shared bathroom one, the ensuite ones are only for Postgrads) is the smallest room in the flat, the others are slightly more spacious. Also, notice how much bigger the bed is compared to in other halls - in Senghennydd Hall, Colum Hall, Gordon, Talybont North and South, Cartwright Court the beds are narrower than a single! Whereas the Senghennydd Court beds are slightly bigger than a single; they can definitely sleep two if you have someone staying over.

The Senghennydd Hall 360 view is actually slightly deceptive; look at the width of the bed (which, as I said, is smaller than a single), then use that as a comparison for the rest of the room; you've got much less floor space. Still, Senghennydd Hall is slightly bigger than in other Halls; look at Colum or Talybont North and South!

Also, does anyone know how they allocate rooms? Is it a first come, first serve basis? Only I had to firm late because my other choices took so long to reply so I am applying for residence relatively late, which sucks haha. Does having an unconditional make any difference due to having a completely certain place (as opposed to potentially not making the grades or whatever)?
    It's done according to two dates; the first is when you got your unconditional, the second is when you applied. That means that if you have an unconditional now, you get first pick before all the people that only get unconditionals after the uni gets their exam results. The chances of you not getting your first choice are tiny. I don't think that helps with Parking Permits though, but it might do.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't been in an actual student house, but my bloke's mother lives in Cardiff and has just moved out of a house, Mackintosh place, which was right next door to a student house and as far as I know a lot around there are student houses. There isn't parking outside the houses without a permit, that I do know. Also, they have a regular bus serive to almost anywhere in the city from what I have heard/noticed, so I don't think a car is essential, but obviously that's up to you if you take it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alibobs)
    I haven't been in an actual student house, but my bloke's mother lives in Cardiff and has just moved out of a house, Mackintosh place, which was right next door to a student house and as far as I know a lot around there are student houses. There isn't parking outside the houses without a permit, that I do know. Also, they have a regular bus serive to almost anywhere in the city from what I have heard/noticed, so I don't think a car is essential, but obviously that's up to you if you take it.
    The OP is talking about the university-owned houses, where bills are included and they get cleaners, maintenance etc. Your boyfriend's mother lives next to a bog-standard house owned by a private landlord.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RightSaidJames)
    Thank you, you have been very helpful! I'm very pleased to hear Senghennydd Court is actually rather big, as it was my initial first choice. Also very good news about the chances of my first choice! I think I will be choosing between the student houses or Senghennydd Court (houses are ever so slightly closer to my uni building I believe, not that it's exactly far either way) for my top choice. Thank you again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RightSaidJames)
    The OP is talking about the university-owned houses, where bills are included and they get cleaners, maintenance etc. Your boyfriend's mother lives next to a bog-standard house owned by a private landlord.
    oops
    Ah well, maybe someone else might browse one day who finds it useful lol

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.