Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Being in halls is easier to make friends and get to know people really well, but I dunno if I really want to share a bathroom with other people .. . . Bit of a clean freak . . .i would totally freak out if somebody else left it in a state. Applied for an en suite . . just hope i get it huh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kamc)
    I lived in Senghenydd Court, it has the biggest rooms, you get a real sized bed (other halls have smaller than single sized beds), it has the best location (2 mins walk to town centre, right next door to science/maths/engineering, 10 mins to SU and other subject buildings) and its one of the cheapest.
    Excellent, sounds like a good hall. Could you tell me if there's a porter or receiptionist of any sort in Senghennydd Court? I think I also saw someone punching in a code to get into a little court area for this hall, am I correct in thinking this? Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lg4d)
    Excellent, sounds like a good hall. Could you tell me if there's a porter or receiptionist of any sort in Senghennydd Court? I think I also saw someone punching in a code to get into a little court area for this hall, am I correct in thinking this? Thank you!
    Yep, theres a receptionist. There are codes to get into the area from one side (which they'll obviously tell you before you move in) and the other side remains unlocked (on top of the bridge near the first gate if you can remember how it was laid out).
    Theres a laundrey room on site too, washing machines were £2, or £2.20 for a longer wash, which I reccomend because your clothes smell a bit icky if you do the £2 cycle. And dryers are £1 so I would reccomend buying a clothes horse to save money

ReputationRep:
    Saying that, everyone knows the code to get through the gate, because people give it out to all their friends, so as a security function it's not that brilliant.

Oh, and if you were wondering, the receptionist isn't like 24 hour security or anything like that, they're there in the day only and nowhere near the front gate.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys, more useful information. So is there a warden or something, or are we left unsupervised at night (unlikely, surely!) or what? Haha

Also, I have read that student houses often have a lot of Erasmus or international students. Is this true? I wouldn't have any problems if they were, apart from potential language barriers but that could end up being fun, lol.

(Original post by RightSaidJames)
    I must say you know an awful lot about all the Cardiff accommodation! Would you mind me asking how? I'm just impressed is all...and curious!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lg4d)
    Thanks guys, more useful information. So is there a warden or something, or are we left unsupervised at night (unlikely, surely!) or what? Haha
    Pretty much unsupervised! There's student wardens but they pretty much keep out of things unless there's trouble or someone calls them. And you can always call the Campus Security if something happens.

Also, I have read that student houses often have a lot of Erasmus or international students. Is this true? I wouldn't have any problems if they were, apart from potential language barriers but that could end up being fun, lol.
    Yup, it's fairly true because it's impossible for Erasmus students to get private housing, and difficult for international students. But most Erasmus/international students I've met speak very good English.

I must say you know an awful lot about all the Cardiff accommodation! Would you mind me asking how? I'm just impressed is all...and curious!
    I dunno, I just know how to get around the Cardiff website.. and the fact that one of my previous girlfriends lived in Senghennydd Court probably helps

ReputationRep:
    I dunno, I just know how to get around the Cardiff website.. and the fact that one of my previous girlfriends lived in Senghennydd Court probably helps
    Oh I see! That does explain things

Could you tell me how big the corridors are there (at Court)? Bizarre question, I know...but Senghennydd Hall seems to have very narrow corridors (but then they are single bedrooms, not flats). Actually on that note, what really IS the difference between flats and 'single bedrooms'? This was actually a big factor for me because I felt flats sounded more sociable than corridors...but that is merely assumption. As someone who seems to have seen both could you enlighten me as to what the differences are?

I'm sorry for all the questions...it's just I'm very keen to get this right :o:

ReputationRep:
    I know I seem like some complete obsessive but I'm very keen on getting the best accommodation I can

So, for those in the know...Senghennydd Court or Senghennydd Hall? Pros and cons of both? All information is greatly appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Well I live in Hall right now, and I find it great. It only holds around 150 students, which means that it is highly sociable as everyone knows everyone. Rooms are easily big enough to satisfy any needs. En-suite rooms mean no waiting around for other people.

I am obviously biased towards Hall, but from what I have seen Court seems to be more confined, and older. Still, there are no complaints from the tenants that I know there. Sorry I can't provide more information on Court as I don't live there, but I can answer any specific questions about Hall.

ReputationRep:
    Get a railcard and travel by train. I travel to Bristol and London often from Cardiff and its really not that bad. Much cheaper than parking and petrol. So much hassle with a car. Plus drunken idiot might reck it. I would never bring a car here if your a student.

I would stay in halls too. Best year of my life Social life is pretty awesome in halls, whereas in houses, your confined to that small group you live with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lg4d)
    Oh I see! That does explain things

Could you tell me how big the corridors are there (at Court)? Bizarre question, I know...but Senghennydd Hall seems to have very narrow corridors (but then they are single bedrooms, not flats). Actually on that note, what really IS the difference between flats and 'single bedrooms'? This was actually a big factor for me because I felt flats sounded more sociable than corridors...but that is merely assumption. As someone who seems to have seen both could you enlighten me as to what the differences are?

I'm sorry for all the questions...it's just I'm very keen to get this right :o:
    Um, well, Senghennydd Court is separated out into flats of 5 (one of which is a room off of the kitchen), and I guess the corridor is pretty standard width, about the same as the entrance hall to a bog standard terraced house, say 2 metres wide.

To be honest, I think flats are much better, because in terms of shared facilities (kitchen, bathrooms etc.) you only have to deal with 4 other people rather than dozens. That means more cupboard/fridge space, a reduced likelihood of people making noise when you don't want them to (because telling two flatmates and their mates to shut up is easier than telling an entire corridor to), and as a whole you get to know your flatmates pretty well.

On the other hand, people I know in Gordon (which is ensuite single rooms on corridors) had a blast because they all went out together a few times a week. So if you're not bothered by too much noise once in a while (people do calm down in exam periods etc.) and want to go out as much as possible with lots of people, corridors can be good too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunnysummer)
    Get a railcard and travel by train. I travel to Bristol and London often from Cardiff and its really not that bad. Much cheaper than parking and petrol. So much hassle with a car. Plus drunken idiot might reck it. I would never bring a car here if your a student.

I would stay in halls too. Best year of my life Social life is pretty awesome in halls, whereas in houses, your confined to that small group you live with.
    Not necessarily though - some of the houses have 11 people in them which is more than any of the flats, and there's always neighbours, plus coursemates, societies, clubs...

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for Court because it's the cheapest and I'm not that bothered about where I'll be living. I'm not planning on being in my room all the time anyways, so for me it doesn't matter. But if you think you're going to be spending a lot of time in your room and in halls then go for nicer accomodation.

ReputationRep:
    For those applying for their accomodation in Sept 2010, who has put their first choice as either Sengh. Court or Sengh Hall??

ReputationRep:
    iv gone for the ole senghetto court.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BradyM)
    Well I live in Hall right now, and I find it great. It only holds around 150 students, which means that it is highly sociable as everyone knows everyone. Rooms are easily big enough to satisfy any needs. En-suite rooms mean no waiting around for other people.

I am obviously biased towards Hall, but from what I have seen Court seems to be more confined, and older. Still, there are no complaints from the tenants that I know there. Sorry I can't provide more information on Court as I don't live there, but I can answer any specific questions about Hall.
    I hear Hall is arranged as corridors instead of a flat..with this being the case, how many people share a kitchen? Corridors always make me feel like there would be a less sociable atmosphere than a flat...but it seems that isn't the case? Are they essentially flats but larger? I'm not entirely sure what the difference is, unless it is merely the number of people in one 'section'?

Also, in regard to Court, what do you mean by 'confined'?

Thank you for your help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lg4d)
    I hear Hall is arranged as corridors instead of a flat..with this being the case, how many people share a kitchen? Corridors always make me feel like there would be a less sociable atmosphere than a flat...but it seems that isn't the case? Are they essentially flats but larger? I'm not entirely sure what the difference is, unless it is merely the number of people in one 'section'?

Also, in regard to Court, what do you mean by 'confined'?

Thank you for your help!
    The difference between flats and corridors is a double-edged sword. On the one hand you get to know less people very well, but on the other you get to know more people less well. But then of course your flat/corridor is just a starting point; you'll get to know people in other parts of your building, other buildings, coursemates, society/club people... at the end of the day whereever you live makes very little difference, it's about how sociable you are more than anything else.

ReputationRep:
    The difference between flats and corridors is a double-edged sword. On the one hand you get to know less people very well, but on the other you get to know more people less well. But then of course your flat/corridor is just a starting point; you'll get to know people in other parts of your building, other buildings, coursemates, society/club people... at the end of the day whereever you live makes very little difference, it's about how sociable you are more than anything else.
    Hey James, thank you for your useful insight as always! You're right about branching out from your corridor/flat, but I suppose it's nice to have that central little community where you're living (basically, it's nice to try and have good friendship with people you'll see a hell of a lot).

Since I have your attention, could you clear up another query for me? I hear Court being described as 'basic' but big whereas Hall is better furnished but smaller..what does that really mean though? Surely they both have the same furnishings. Is it that the layout is better or what? I suppose that's really beginning to pick at silly details..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lg4d)
    Hey James, thank you for your useful insight as always! You're right about branching out from your corridor/flat, but I suppose it's nice to have that central little community where you're living (basically, it's nice to try and have good friendship with people you'll see a hell of a lot).

Since I have your attention, could you clear up another query for me? I hear Court being described as 'basic' but big whereas Hall is better furnished but smaller..what does that really mean though? Surely they both have the same furnishings. Is it that the layout is better or what? I suppose that's really beginning to pick at silly details..
    \

Court is the uni's oldest accommodation I think (not counting the all-girls Aberdare Hall which has been there for more than a hundred years, and possibly Uni Halls). The bedrooms themselves are fine and well equipped (better than most, actually), but the bathrooms and kitchens are slightly less modern. It's not really an issue though as if something is broken they'll fix it and/or replace it with a new one.

ReputationRep:
    Court for me too.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.