Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This is the dilemma I'm facing.

How on earth do you decide, key stage 1 or key stage 2... what are your thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Do some work experience/ observaton in both, even a few days will be a revelation believe me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bobsleigh)
    Do some work experience/ observaton in both, even a few days will be a revelation believe me
    I agree with ^^^
    Bear in mind that there is massive variation between age groups even from year one into year two.
    Also Key Stage two children will often have bigger emotional issues etc so you will have to be prepared for that as well

Good luck
    x

ReputationRep:
    I have, in both, I just can't decide. Seems so final to say I prefer key stage 2 because in reality I've enjoyed working with both stages.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by rosie86uk)
    I have, in both, I just can't decide. Seems so final to say I prefer key stage 2 because in reality I've enjoyed working with both stages.
    It's funny, a lot of people I have spoken to seem to think that Key Stage One/Foundation Stage is 'easier', because they play and do easy stuff like 1 + 1...:p: In reality, I believe that the earlier years are as much of a challenge, mainly because you are helping to build the foundations for future learning.

Then again, i'm Lower Primary, so it makes me biased :p:

ReputationRep:
    There is a difference between enjoying it and knowing this is the age for you.
    It may sound final but you have said you prefer Key Stage two and although you enjoyed both if you know you have a preference you liked Key Stage two more and therefore probably will be happier as a key stage two teacher.
    Picture yourself in a few years time, what age class do you picture yourself with?

Or if all else fails.....flip a coin! I find flipping a coin makes you realise what you want. If the answer you dont want comes out on top you will know if you prefer the other
    x

ReputationRep:
    Haha, leave it to the fate of a coin...nice idea! Think I'll give it a bit more thought and use the coin trick as a last resort. Thanks for the advice guys.

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering the same thing, but i think my decision would be between early years (3-7) or primary (5-11). I have experience with all years up to year 2 and really enjoy working with those children but i dont know if it would be limiting to choose early years? what do you think?

ReputationRep:
    I had this decision to make before Christmas. Took me ages to decide I wanted to concentrate on 5-11. I had experience of every year group from nursery to year 6 and still couldn't decide but eventually went for 5-11.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest you will probably still learn about both, and will be qualified to teach both. At my university the choice only reflects placements and not the course so we learn to teach 3-11, but our placements are at an age that we choose.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.