Turn on thread page Beta
Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Feedback for unsuccesful applicants - have you got yours, or are you still waiting?
    Didn't ask for feedback
    40.54%
    Asked for feedback - and have got it
    35.14%
    Asked for feedback - still waiting
    24.32%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rvg)
    They can't possibly feel that way, unless they're REALLY good at fooling themselves. I would guess the whole point of such a school is that even very mediocre students can get high grades, add tons of interview prep to make it through the selection process The teachers must know every trick and are probably pretty much trained to get pupils into Oxbridge. The only thing you have to do is spend about 100 K on your schooling...
    Sorry for going somewhat off topic, but I've heard this enough to want to finally respond. I go to Westminster, and contrary to all that I have heard we did not get 'tons of interview prep' whatsoever - yeah, I had a practise interview, but that was it, and just once. The teachers don't teach us tricks, they genuinely go above and beyond the syllabus and are very, very good at what they do, but it's really not at all like what keeps being said. The teachers do not teach us to get into places and to just do well in exams; we really do get taught in much more depth than would be required for the exams, and work very hard in fact, and from this we pick up the skills which presumably lead to us doing so well.

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

I received feedback from the College two weeks after my school official emailed them to ask for feedback. The College emailed my school official with the feedback only so I had to ask my school official about the contents of the email, which he kindly shared with me.

I hope that this helps! Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mymew)
    Sorry for going somewhat off topic, but I've heard this enough to want to finally respond. I go to Westminster, and contrary to all that I have heard we did not get 'tons of interview prep' whatsoever - yeah, I had a practise interview, but that was it, and just once. The teachers don't teach us tricks, they genuinely go above and beyond the syllabus and are very, very good at what they do, but it's really not at all like what keeps being said. The teachers do not teach us to get into places and to just do well in exams; we really do get taught in much more depth than would be required for the exams, and work very hard in fact, and from this we pick up the skills which presumably lead to us doing so well.
    The method by which you gain your advantage is irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mymew)
    The fact is that people going to that school are hugely advantaged, by whatever method your teachers are using - I don't really care though I somewhat doubt that it's entirely true they aren't very trained in coaching you for the admissions process and exams, but OK: even if you're all right, that's good for you. You're very lucky.

Still, not very much people are as lucky as you are. That's unfair about it: you can only access this (undefined) method of obtaining advantage by paying VERY much. It would be fair if these schools would be available for everyone, but they're not. Rich parents are buying their childs' education, therefore their grades and therefore their university place. Conclusion: we're still living in quite a divided poor-rich society. Not that it's impossible to get up if you're not very rich, but things are a lot tougher.

I think that's a very sad case, and unfortunately I don't see a straight solution to it.

The reason I'm posting about it here is that, although I know this is the situation and probable will stay the same, I don't want to accept it. That would sort of mean approval and I think it's a very bad situation which I don't want to accept, nor approve.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bb193)
    I wondered - is anyone else still waiting to get feedback from Cambridge? Has anyone got their already?

My daughter applied for History at Fitz and was told she was unsuccessful about a month ago. She had asked for feedback and after waiting quite a while, sent them an email reminding them that she still wanted feedback. Still nothing.

Any advice anyone?
    Feedback usually gets sent to the referees rather than the applicant, so it would be worth checking with your daughters school to see if they have heard anything. That said a lot of colleges send out any feedback around mid february so this is still pretty early days. Don't get your hopes up too high though for deep and meaningful feedback, the bulk of it will be the generic 'standard of applications were very high and there were more suitable people for the very limited number of places'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeeWeeDan)
    The method by which you gain your advantage is irrelevant.
    But advantages will exist everywhere. Unless you envisage a system in which all schools have identical teaching, identical resources etc? That's impossible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveJ)
    But advantages will exist everywhere. Unless you envisage a system in which all schools have identical teaching, identical resources etc? That's impossible.
    I'm not disagreeing with the concept of the advantage, just that its fallacious to suggest that because he wasn't coached for specific things that he didn't in fact have an advantage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeeWeeDan)
    I'm not disagreeing with the concept of the advantage, just that its fallacious to suggest that because he wasn't coached for specific things that he didn't in fact have an advantage.
    Oh right, fair enough then. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible to ask for feedback if you got pooled then fished by another college?

I'm quite curious to see why I was pooled/fished.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zhandro)
    Is it possible to ask for feedback if you got pooled then fished by another college?

It's entirely possible to ask, pretty unlikely you'll get an answer at all, and if you do it will be the bland generic one.

Wait til you actually get here and get on with the fellows, then you can ask!

ReputationRep:
    Will the fellows even remember?

ReputationRep:
    Will the fellows even remember?
    You'd be surprised!

ReputationRep:
    i applied to Fitz as well but still haven't heard from them about feedback, but i don't particular want it though, coz got rejected anyway

ReputationRep:
    Feedback is a gift.

But still waiting. Not sure they should offer if they aren't going to provide it......

ReputationRep:
    i am still waiting for feedback from emmanuel
    despite them saying in their rejection letter than it will be sent out on the 10th of Feb!!
    anyone else in this position?

ReputationRep:

Get in, and then ask your DoS. Most likely he/she had a hand in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Archen)
    despite them saying in their rejection letter than it will be sent out on the 10th of Feb!!
    My daughter is. I think best go back to the school and get them to ask again. I'm sure it will just be 'lots of good candidates' rather than 'the bar was here and you were just below it - if you had x,y and z you would have been above it and got in'. Still, it must be worth getting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bb193)
    My daughter is. I think best go back to the school and get them to ask again. I'm sure it will just be 'lots of good candidates' rather than 'the bar was here and you were just below it - if you had x,y and z you would have been above it and got in'. Still, it must be worth getting.
    mind me asking what subject she applied for?
    i am waiting for feedback from a medicine application

ReputationRep:
    mind me asking what subject she applied for?
    i am waiting for feedback from a medicine application
    Sure - she applied for History at Fitz.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same position as you...

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.