Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
  • View Poll Results: Feedback for unsuccesful applicants - have you got yours, or are you still waiting?
    Didn't ask for feedback
    40.54%
    Asked for feedback - and have got it
    35.14%
    Asked for feedback - still waiting
    24.32%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Spoon)
    I'm in the same position as you...
    At my daughter's school, 4 applied for Cambridge and were rejected. They all asked for feedback and none of them have received it yet. My daughter has asked the school to chase 4 times so far, and still nothing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Archen)
    mind me asking what subject she applied for?
    i am waiting for feedback from a medicine application
    I got my feedback from Emmanuel 2 days after I emailed them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Spoon)
    I got my feedback from Emmanuel 2 days after I emailed them.
    did you email emmanuel directly?
    my ucas adviser emailed the admissions office on my behalf but i still havent heard anything back
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    i am still waiting for feedback!

st.johns, engineering

ReputationRep:
    did you email emmanuel directly?
    my ucas adviser emailed the admissions office on my behalf but i still havent heard anything back
    Yes I did. I phoned the admission office asking for feedback, and then the lady on the phone told me to email them to make the request "official". As I have already finished sixth form, they posted the feedback straight to my house.

ReputationRep:
    I'm still waiting for feedback from Clare. They said they'd send it at the end of Jan...but oh well.

ReputationRep:
    Still haven't had my feed back from Sidney Sussex after ringing them , my referee ringing 3 times and writing to them.

I really need to make a decision on what I' doing next year

ReputationRep:
    Just got my feedback.

Its left me feeling a bit weird but slightly happier, it was positive and said exactly what I knew it would.

Now to decide whether to reapply. Is anyone else considering it?

ReputationRep:
    had my feedback from emmanuel
    twas quite nice really, said i performed well at interview just not as well as the very best applicants :P i'll take that♥

oh and btw - avg ums for offer holders - 289/300!!! WTF!?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    had my feedback from emmanuel
    twas quite nice really, said i performed well at interview just not as well as the very best applicants :P i'll take that♥

oh and btw - avg ums for offer holders - 289/300!!! WTF!?
    how did you know wabout the UMS thingy???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kosy91)
    how did you know wabout the UMS thingy???
    thats what they told me in my feedback :P
    thats just for medicine at emmanuel thou i think

still.. WOOOAAH :eek:
    the average flipping applicant (i.e. ones who were rejected!) was 273/200!! :eek3:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    thats what they told me in my feedback :P
    thats just for medicine at emmanuel thou i think

still.. WOOOAAH
    the average flipping applicant (i.e. ones who were rejected!) was 273/200!!
    OMG!!!! thats just crazy!! well all my UMS was above that figure...apart from phy i guess

oh...and i am still waiting for my feedback!!

ReputationRep:
    On my feedback it said the average for successful applicants was 93.3% for arts and 92% for siences in the three most relevant AS levels and for not successful it was a tad under that (about a percent).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laurie161)
    Just got my feedback.

Its left me feeling a bit weird but slightly happier, it was positive and said exactly what I knew it would.

Now to decide whether to reapply. Is anyone else considering it?
    It's my daughter's decision, and at the moment she is persuading herself that the offer from York is her firm, and debating between Exeter (Cornwall)/Southampton for her insurance. She is gradually convincing herself that 'she would probably settle in better at York than Cambridge anyway' - this could be a very mature consideration, or it could be the wretched fact that girls tend to be really good academically but suffer from lower confidence, whereas boys tend to be the other way round.

There is a thought that having got the results and matured by a year, you are a stronger candidate second time around (although the most likely outcome is always going to be unsuccessful). So I guess some fast thinking on results day might be the order of the day (combined with a bit of preparation for that decision, obviously).

My daughter did well in the recent AQA Geography (78/80) and Biology (100/100) exams, so I guess at least there is some indication there about whether it is worth considering. The scary figures mentioned in the earlier posts just seem crazy - they really do seem to me to suggest that it is almost always best to apply after A2 results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bb193)
    It's my daughter's decision, and at the moment she is persuading herself that the offer from York is her firm, and debating between Exeter (Cornwall)/Southampton for her insurance. She is gradually convincing herself that 'she would probably settle in better at York than Cambridge anyway' - this could be a very mature consideration, or it could be the wretched fact that girls tend to be really good academically but suffer from lower confidence, whereas boys tend to be the other way round.

There is a thought that having got the results and matured by a year, you are a stronger candidate second time around (although the most likely outcome is always going to be unsuccessful). So I guess some fast thinking on results day might be the order of the day (combined with a bit of preparation for that decision, obviously).

My daughter did well in the recent AQA Geography (78/80) and Biology (100/100) exams, so I guess at least there is some indication there about whether it is worth considering. The scary figures mentioned in the earlier posts just seem crazy - they really do seem to me to suggest that it is almost always best to apply after A2 results.
    Wow, amazing results, congratulations on those (to her, haha)! On your last statement, I totally agree: I certainly think that achieved grades are always better than predicted grades. Teachers tend to predict optimistically and in the case of internationals (like me), they can't even tell anything about academic achievements because of the lack of GSCE's or other (early) exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bb193)

Wow, tell her congrats on her results!

It's great that she can consider another place and I'm sure she will be happy in whatever she chooses. At the moment I'm waiting to hear from Bath but their decision may not have any effect on whether or not I reapply.

I would definately agree that you are seen as a much stronger applicant after a gap year as you have your results and have proved yourself academically. Also I think the extra year of either education/ employment/travelling or any other combination is hugely advantageous for your character. I can't even imagine how much more mature and confident I will be in a year.

Good luck in whatever she decides

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, I was wondering if asking for feedback from my interview back in December would amount to anything?

I have so far refrained from doing so as people from other Unis have discuraged me from doing this saying I would get no answer. However, numerous others have since told me that they have indeed recieved such feedback. I was wondering if anyone knows Cambridge's, especially St Catherine's College, stance on this?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, ask. They will give feedback.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, ask and they will give you feedback.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, ask and they will give you feedback.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.