Turn on thread page Beta

Why do you eat what you eat? watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically do you eat it because it tastes nice and just eat whatever you fancy? Or do you eat to have a good balanced diet and it means you eat a lot of foods you're not too fond of but you're healthier?

I fall in the category of eating to get a balanced diet and for a purpose rather than for enjoyment. Don't get me wrong I love food and eat lots of food I like...but there is usually a reason for why I'm eating what I'm eating.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with eating food when and what you need. I try my best and feel better when i do stick with foods that are good for me. I also do really enjoy all foods. It can become very hard sometimes when i comes to eating the right things. For me, it depends what mood im in, but at the moment im being healthy.

ReputationRep:
    i eat the cheapest/quickest things possible
    so lots of cereal and toast
    because well most of the time theres more important things to be doing in my life

ReputationRep:
    i eat healthy food that i enjoy, not healthy food that i think tastes disgusting otherwise i'd feel depressed. too often i jump off the bandwagon and give in to sugar cravings.

ReputationRep:
    At the moment I'm eating awfully - purely because I'm stressed, and living off junk from the university shop is far easier and more convenient than spending time preparing delicious balanced meals.

However, I do usually eat a very balanced and healthy diet and I really want to go back to that soon because I'm starting to feel terrible! University has been my downfall; it's so easy to get trapped in the cycle of subsisting on sugary cereal and chocolate and the more you have it, the more you crave it.

In general though, I am a massive foodie. There's definitely a fat person inside me trying to get out, which is why I'm (usually!) fairly sensible about what I eat. I could never be one of those 'eating purely for purpose' people, so i try to keep a balance so that I can still have yummy meals and cake occasionally without ending up at weight watchers. I guess food for me is social, and also sort of a hobby (I love baking) so yeah.

ReputationRep:
    I eat anything normal as long as it isn't egg.

ReputationRep:
    Whatever my mum has put on the table

ReputationRep:
    Because it tastes good.

ReputationRep:
    because of;

* it's cheap
    * it's yummy
    * it's conducive towards my bodybuilding goals

in that order.

I would eat better/healthier if I had the cash, but for now .. certain things like vegetables in terms of cost:benefit are too much.

ReputationRep:
    I eat the nicest tasting, healthiest food that I can afford. I like to eat healthily, but I won't eat horrible tasting healthy food because I know there are much tastier alternatives.

Equally, there are things I do not eat because of how they make me feel. Deep fat fried food makes me feel ill and bloated, ditto mcdonalds and kfc, ditto ready made rubbish from the supermarket.

If we do decide to have a takeaway or a meal out, I do always eay what I want ..never pick something on a menu for healthy's sake, like to enjoy my rare meals out!

ReputationRep:
    I get nice tasting, healthy food.
    I usually have one or two quick meals (i.e. a pizza) every week so that I have more time to work.

ReputationRep:
    Since when was there a pay-off between health and taste? Normally the healthier stuff is the tastiest (as well as being the cheapest and quickest).

ReputationRep:
    Its all about balance, baby!

ReputationRep:
    at the moment, whatever is in the cupboard and i just eat: biscuits, cake, cereal bars, grapes..

Catered accomodation: whatever they serve me, no cooking, no cleaning.

The years after, im F*****.

ReputationRep:
    I eat what I like because I think your body tells you what it needs. E.g. if I'm craving something sweet have a banana. Just because you have a balanced diet doesn't mean it can't taste good. I do sometimes eat food I don't enjoy much for health reasons but my main reason for my food choices is taste.

ReputationRep:
    I find this really interesting. I try my best to stay healthy, but when im living at home its really hard as my parents are not healthy at all. When im living away i eat really good. Its a lot to do with your situation.

ReputationRep:
    I eat, relatively speaking, what I want and crave. I'm a big believer in deficiency-based cravings, but it's a case of identifying what's a real craving vs. superficial (as in, do I really want it or is it just that it's there and smells good?) and identifying what's needed - so I'll sometimes crave really obscure things, but it's because I'm not getting enough salt or iron or protein, so I can get it through other means.

I'm aware of what I'm eating, and I make an effort to eat healthily - but to be honest, most of the time the healthier foods are what I like anyway (and cheaper). And I have to enjoy foods! I hatehatehate it when you have a meal that isn't nice, I genuinely feel really disappointed and as though I've wasted a meal. Being veggie, having a predisposed iron deficiency, and having had an eating disorder in the past, I've got to keep a close eye on what I'm eating, but normally it's fine without any intervention - every so often I do need an iron top-up or something, though.

My big weakness though is that I rely heavily on fresh foods, which means that when I run out it's a case of desperately trying to find something yummy that I want to eat, which normally results in me living off bagels and hommous and carrotsticks for a few days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    Since when was there a pay-off between health and taste? Normally the healthier stuff is the tastiest (as well as being the cheapest and quickest).
    I kind of do agree........But I like crappy junk food as well and in my fridge at the moment there is a raspberry cheesecake and mcvities gold bars....now I love both of them...like really love them...yet I haven't had them. Plus I realised I wasn't getting much good fats in my diet and it means I'm now eating peanut butter and nuts and I'm not a big fan but I eat it...but usually I do enjoy the food I'm having.

ReputationRep:
    For me, there is only one way to decide on what food to eat-whether it tastes nice dipped in tea or not.

ReputationRep:
    i eat it because i like the taste, i cant eat food i dont like the taste of

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.