Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Really, Really Unhappy and Depressed about my life. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pigwigeon)
    Several reasons really. I ended up doing a course I hated (messed up my A Levels, had a place for Psychology there, but they offered me a place for Sociology on results day because my A Levels weren't good enough for psych. I absolutely hated sociology), I hated my hall and like the OP I found it really difficult to find friends and mix with people (most of whome decided they didn't like me within a week), my depression came back after being off medication and therapy for a year and the uni doctor told me what I was going through was "completely normal for a fresher" (I'm still dealing with it despite having been home for almost 3 months), then I got swine flu and my grandad died without me being able to say goodbye because I was on the other side of the country, my boyfriend had an offer and was supposed to live in the same hall, but missed his offer and didn't go.

I'm not a brainbox! I just don't want to see other people feeling the way I did because it sucked. How come you left?
    I'm sorry to hear about your grandad..Well even if you're not a brainbox you said some things which might have seemed obvious but have been eluding me, and they just really made sense, thankyou. I think you're well suited for psychology . Yeah i can understand, i would be screwing if they put me for sociology. I left because i never really fitted in at the uni, i never really went out much, made any friends, became really shy, quiet and lonely, which are quite unlike me. Then started getting really depressed, didnt go to any lectures for ages..and just generally hated it lol. you're meant to enjoy freshers not have what i did lol, so i didnt go back..the ridiculous amount of free time doesnt help with depression though..but i think ill do much better next time round

ae you planning to go back?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Wow, in a couple of ways your situation is very similar to mine, I decided to study Sociology (because I loved doing it at A Level and was good at it - planning to do a Law conversion when I'm done) and as you said the whole friends thing, Also my grandad died a few days before Christmas although for some reason I'm more upset about my own personal situation than by that (which to me seems selfish and makes me feel like a **** tbh)
    Yeah, I found dealing with the hall situation much harder than losing my grandfather. Which sounds awful, but to be honest I think it's a case of dealing with what's directly around you compared to something you're physically miles away from. I know I dealt with all the grief when my grandad got diagnosed with cancer in the summer before he died, so I didn't really have much left when he did die, and also because it didn't seem real because I was sort of in a completely different world at uni. I don't think you're a **** for feeling that way, because in hard times it can be really hard to deal with things if you haven't got an immediate support group of friends around you. How was your night last night?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AreYouExperienced?)
    I'm sorry to hear about your grandad..Well even if you're not a brainbox you said some things which might have seemed obvious but have been eluding me, and they just really made sense, thankyou. I think you're well suited for psychology . Yeah i can understand, i would be screwing if they put me for sociology. I left because i never really fitted in at the uni, i never really went out much, made any friends, became really shy, quiet and lonely, which are quite unlike me. Then started getting really depressed, didnt go to any lectures for ages..and just generally hated it lol. you're meant to enjoy freshers not have what i did lol, so i didnt go back..the ridiculous amount of free time doesnt help with depression though..but i think ill do much better next time round

ae you planning to go back?
    I knew my grandad was on the way out, he got diagnosed with advanced pancreatic cancer in the summer, which had already spread to his liver. It was literally the day before my exams started which was fun. He deteriorated very very quickly over a day in November and by the time I could physically get home, he had already died. I felt bad because I hadn't seen him since September because the only time I had been able to come home since starting uni was when I had swine flu and obviously I couldn't go and see him. Obviously I felt horribly guilty about it but it's partly the reason I want to make a success of things this time.

That's basically what happened to me at uni, I stopped going to lectures as well because I pretty much hated everything to do with my uni experience. It angered me that many of my friends were having amazing times, and the people living around me loved it to, and I just felt ridiculously lonely. I'm finding it hard to be at home as well, no luck finding a job which is adding to the feelings of uselessness at the moment, but I'm sure it'll look up soon. I've applied via UCAS again and so far have 4 unconditionals for psychology so I know I'm definitely going next year, on a course that I actually want to do this time. I think I aimed a bit too high last year; applying only to Russell group unis. I don't necessarily think that's the right place for me, and am thinking that a slightly smaller, less competitive uni might be best for me.

Have you reapplied this year?

Also, sorry to derail your thread, anon. I promise to shut up soon :p:

I knew my grandad was on the way out, he got diagnosed with advanced pancreatic cancer in the summer, which had already spread to his liver. It was literally the day before my exams started which was fun. He deteriorated very very quickly over a day in November and by the time I could physically get home, he had already died. I felt bad because I hadn't seen him since September because the only time I had been able to come home since starting uni was when I had swine flu and obviously I couldn't go and see him. Obviously I felt horribly guilty about it but it's partly the reason I want to make a success of things this time.

That's basically what happened to me at uni, I stopped going to lectures as well because I pretty much hated everything to do with my uni experience. It angered me that many of my friends were having amazing times, and the people living around me loved it to, and I just felt ridiculously lonely. I'm finding it hard to be at home as well, no luck finding a job which is adding to the feelings of uselessness at the moment, but I'm sure it'll look up soon. I've applied via UCAS again and so far have 4 unconditionals for psychology so I know I'm definitely going next year, on a course that I actually want to do this time. I think I aimed a bit too high last year; applying only to Russell group unis. I don't necessarily think that's the right place for me, and am thinking that a slightly smaller, less competitive uni might be best for me.

Also, sorry to derail your thread, anon. I promise to shut up soon http://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/images/smilies/p.gif
    Don't worry about it, getting other peoples experiences probably helps

ReputationRep:

Also, sorry to derail your thread, anon. I promise to shut up soon :p:
    I'm really sorry, but hey well done for getting 4 offers in spite of it, you should always aim high though, or at least just have had some back ups, but thats me, not you, you know best where is good for you. Yeah ive reapplied this year and got one offer already ( must be unconditional already got my results but they didnt say) and got an interview for manchester n the 17th of march, where i really want to go. Yep i know exactly what you mean about the being annoyed that everyone else loves it and you hated it..exactly me except i was more upset and sad than annoyed about it, not being able to find a job is teh most annoying thing though, try a recruitment agency, i havent had any luck yet but they did phone me offering me something today, so it could help you out..i'm seriously considering signing on ( lol is that even possible in a gap year?)

where have you applied then? and OP what have you decided to do/how are you feeling now?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 10, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.