Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    sa

ReputationRep:
    I believe it's essential to raise your GCSE up to the general national requirement of at least a C.

Would you consider trying you raise your A-Level profile as well? Just aim as high as possible really.

Then again I'm not sure whether I know what I'm talking about.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should take it again. You might aswell... there's nothing to lose, and you will probably find it easier

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phillipjsr)
    hi, im currently on my gap year and have just got all my offers back from ucas.

ive got offers from coventry, edge hill and northumbria as well as rejections from loughborough and bournemouth, to study advertising and media. ive got a DMM in media production and a C in Alevel film studies.

ive got all my gcse´s mostley B's but I only got a D in gcse maths and most of the better universitys ask for the maths gcse to be a C minumum, this is probably the reason i got rejected right? because i have the required ucas points as well as experience working in advertising agencies in england and brazil?

i did not retake the gcse in college or during this gap year. would anyone think it is worthwhile taking the time to do the gcse in an attempt to get into a better uni or accept one of the offers i allready have? or even reject the offers and try to get into somwhere through clearing?

thanks, phillip
    This D grade in GCSE Maths won't only hamper you now, it will affect your future employability. Most peoples minimum criteria is a C in English and Maths so you really need to retake it and get it up to a C at least.

What you do is completely up to you. It was being reported this morning that university applications are up 24% on last year and the 5% budget cuts are going to mean less places, so a lot of universities have made their grade requirements higher, so count yourself lucky to have some offers. For that reason, I would strongly advise you not to rely on clearing. It may have been a fantastic service in the past when students have missed out but this year it truely is going to be a lottery and it's not worth taking the gamble of ending up somewhere you don't want to when you had offers on the table.

Your work experience will only count for so much and will aid you much better when you finally come to find a job. Universities take into account your grades, your reference and your personal statement (and any part time work as well - although they might never admit that, but you find me an Oxbridge student that got in without having part time work prior). Like I said before, your priority must be to get a C in Maths, and if I was you then I would accept one of the offers you think you can meet because this year is ultra-competitive.

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    Northumbria isn't bad?

ReputationRep:
    that was helpful thanks alot!
    im going to try and do it during the first year of uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katiemiranda)
    Northumbria isn't bad?
    yeah they asked for a minimum of a C in maths but still accepted me, would you recommend northumbria then out of the choices i have?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phillipjsr)
    yeah they asked for a minimum of a C in maths but still accepted me, would you recommend northumbria then out of the choices i have?
    Well, I don't know much about it, but I go to a grammar school and 2 people I know from school wanna go there. Not that grammar school people are actually brighter than anyone else, but they push us pretty hard to go to 'good' unis...

Also, it's near Newcastle which is meant to be really good fun?

ReputationRep:
    iam currently doing a btec in Media Production going to university in Autumn fingers crossed i get a DDM i was acceptec by my unis with a Minimium of Grade C in English Language my Mathmatics was bad a G and i couldnt even retake proper GCSE had to do a pre gcse course which was annoying but my tutor told me not to worry much as English is more important i wish you luck with your application wat course are you doing Media Practise, TV Production, Film and Video ?? iam doing Media Communication.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.