Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    As the title says. What do they want to see in a candidate, except for the university degree ? What else do you think a student should have extra ?

I'm sure a lot of people are asking themselves the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    For investment banking i heard you have to go to a top 5 uni and have some experience.

ReputationRep:
    Top 5 University, 2:1+ in a real degree and amazing extracurriculars. I'm half way there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Will1692)
    For investment banking i heard you have to go to a top 5 uni and have some experience.
    i meant, except the uni reputation. Let's say you are in one of the top 10-15 Universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CapitalismRocks)
    Top 5 University, 2:1+ in a real degree and amazing extracurriculars. I'm half way there.
    congrats on your offers. That IS really impressive.

Lets say you get a 1.1 at Birmingham for example.
    Can you give some examples of amazing extracurriculars ?

ReputationRep:
    nearly all high calibre students have this, and yet it guarantees very little. It's the 99% extra effort to give yourself a 1% edge over the rest. An Oxbridge degree and amazing ECs no longer make the cut. It's that 'edge' and lots of arse kissing that'll make you sought-after.

A stupidly big ego is one thing that wont get you very far at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sensation24)
    As the title says. What do they want to see in a candidate, except for the university degree ? What else do you think a student should have extra ?

It really depends on what sector/industry that you want to go in to, but actual work-experience is a big help for most

ReputationRep:

They want you as their slave. Anything else you want to know?=P

In all fairness as long as your university/business school is in the top 20 region, you will always have a chance depending how much input and work you put in to pursue your goals and having the persistence to achieve those goals.

ReputationRep:
    Employers want a particular set a skills and traits. The specific mix will vary from sector to sector and firm to firm, but some common examples are:

Skills
    - Basic knowledge of business and/or economics, and general "commercial awareness"
    - Presentation skills, a mixture of public speaking and basic PowerPoint
    - Skill with Excel
    - Good written English skills
    - Foreign languages

Traits
    - Intelligence
    - Leadership
    - Propensity for hard work
    - Ability to work well in teams
    - Ambition and drive

The other key thing employers normally want is a strong interest in their particular sector. If it's investment banking you're interested in, they want to know you're really serious about finance, and not just applying because your mate in the cocktail society is doing so.

The real question is how you can demonstrate the above through the experience you've had at university. A good degree from a good university signifies something, but to stand out you need more than that.

Work experience in the form of one or two strong internships will put you in good stead, as well strong extracurriculars. The latter is often where applicants slip up, since they believe their extracurriculars are strong when they are not. A lot of people have volunteered somewhere or been social sec of some obscure society, but relatively few have become Presidents of the Union, captains of key university sports teams, or editors at the university paper. These are areas you can stand out.

ReputationRep:
    Your work experience and extracurriculars can only get you to interview stage. From there it's how likeable you are and what your level of knowledge is. Seriously.

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering how you are half way there? You may have an offer from Cambridge but you have yet to obtain the grades needed. I was also wondering what is defined as a "real degree"? This isn't exactly a quantitative merit, just something you coined to boost your own ego and diminish the self-esteem of others. I have 11A*'s at GCSE, 5A's at AS level, all over 90%, as do many others, and yet we seem to refrain from talking about it every two minutes.
    P.S I do hope you meet your required grades for Cambridge, you'll fit right in :-)

ReputationRep:
    Confidence.

ReputationRep:
    All this stuff about top 5 universities is an utter crock of ****. Yes, you have to have been somewhere decent but the magic UCL/LSE/Warwick/Oxbridge format that everyone on TSR bangs on about is just entirely fabricated.

ReputationRep:
    I know people from the bottom20 unis who got into Front Office roles.......... but those are exceptions. If you think of how many people get FO roles..... then 80% of those come from Oxbridge/LSE/UCL/Warwick/Imperial. So, there is no magic!! Just a fact!! I know personally that Deutsche and BofAML screens apps from these schools first, and then if there are more slots available then they look at others............. its not a guess or what I think..... it is the fact. But like I said, there are always a few other people from other unis who makes it thru... but the number is very small.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibd_haunter)
    I know people from the bottom20 unis who got into Front Office roles.......... but those are exceptions. If you think of how many people get FO roles..... then 80% of those come from Oxbridge/LSE/UCL/Warwick/Imperial. So, there is no magic!! Just a fact!! I know personally that Deutsche and BofAML screens apps from these schools first, and then if there are more slots available then they look at others............. its not a guess or what I think..... it is the fact. But like I said, there are always a few other people from other unis who makes it thru... but the number is very small.
    More like 50% comes from the those 6 universities you listed, rest are filled with european business schools (people seem to forget that) and other UK universities generally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazyb)
    nearly all high calibre students have this, and yet it guarantees very little. It's the 99% extra effort to give yourself a 1% edge over the rest. An Oxbridge degree and amazing ECs no longer make the cut. It's that 'edge' and lots of arse kissing that'll make you sought-after.

A stupidly big ego is one thing that wont get you very far at all.
    Completely agree. :yep: The original guy you quoted has a poor atitude.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, but yeah I have internships lined up before I've even entered University 'cause of my connections.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, but yeah I have internships lined up before I've even entered University 'cause of my connections.
    Well done you. Your medal is on it's way to you in the post as we speak.

ReputationRep:
    Something to distinguish you from the other thousand applicants.

One of the most tedious parts of graduate recruitment is reading through CVs and application forms which are for the most part identical. If you don't stand out from the rest why should anyone bother interviewing you ?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.