Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I want to study a sport related subject at uni, but i'm fat Watch

Kk, unsure where to post this.

At college we are having talks about universities etc. Everyone keeps asking me what I want to do.

I use to play sport all the time, apart from these last two years. First it was an injury, then it was exams. Another reason was becuase of various personal problems so i've been concentrating on other things, clinically depressed, didn't really have time/make time.

I did very little exercise and my diet was mainly junk. Becuase of this I have got fat. I did have a BMI of 30 (boderline obese), lost some and now i'm overweight, and am carrying quite a bit of excess fat especially for my liking. Tbf i'm probably the average brit. 5'5, 155lbs. Size 12-14 jeans, size 14-16 top.

When I was doing sport, I was a size 8-10 jeans, 10-12 top, or smaller, can't really remember.

I have just started running again, no where near as fit as I used to be though. And my diet is gradually getting better. I will start sport again in the summer (beginning of season).

If I say I want to do sports science, will people take one look at me, see I am fat and unfit, and snigger to themselves?

ReputationRep:
    no, there was a guy in my class went on to do sports studies and he was overweight, you will need to be fit to do the course so just work on that, don't care what other people think say if it's right for you and what you want to do

ReputationRep:
    then get unfat ffs

(Original post by logic123)
    then get unfat ffs
    Did you read my first post :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Keep doing more exercise, whilst telling people you're "still thinking about" what you want to do at University, and then once you're fitter, you'll have no problem.

ReputationRep:
    Size 12-14 is not "fat".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
    Size 12-14 is not "fat".
    I think OP would know if he's carrying around fat or not lol.

(Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
    Size 12-14 is not "fat".
    Well for some people it may not be, but compared to how slim I used to be...
    I'm overweight, I am carrying around alot of excess fat, i'm guessing my body fat % is very high.

Also, I do have very narrow hips, I was shopping with some friends the other day, and they were really suprised I could fit into size 12 jeans. And that I had to buy a size 16 top.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nashy19)
    I think OP would know if he's carrying around fat or not lol.
    or she...

(Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    Keep doing more exercise, whilst telling people you're "still thinking about" what you want to do at University, and then once you're fitter, you'll have no problem.
    Best idea, will probably do that, for now. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Got for a jog. Eat a salad. No sweet stuff. Sorted (y)

ReputationRep:
    Just try lose what little weight you can (though size 12-14 isn't really that big :rolleyes:).

This may become especially important in the run up to interviews, though you have plenty of time.

ReputationRep:
    Well by the sounds of things you're already trying (and succeeding) in losing some weight!
    So keep at it, and maybe, if possible, intensify your exercise? And be really strict with your diet. But only if it doesn't mess with other stuff, your mental health is more important than getting off those last few pounds
    I don't think they'll be too bothered by it, simply as you don't sound HUGE, like, if you were still obese I think they'd be a bit funny about it. But at your size I don't think they'll have much of a problem tbh, as long as you're capable for the course!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Kk, unsure where to post this.

At college we are having talks about universities etc. Everyone keeps asking me what I want to do.

I use to play sport all the time, apart from these last two years. First it was an injury, then it was exams. Another reason was becuase of various personal problems so i've been concentrating on other things, clinically depressed, didn't really have time/make time.

I did very little exercise and my diet was mainly junk. Becuase of this I have got fat. I did have a BMI of 30 (boderline obese), lost some and now i'm overweight, and am carrying quite a bit of excess fat especially for my liking. Tbf i'm probably the average brit. 5'5, 155lbs. Size 12-14 jeans, size 14-16 top.

When I was doing sport, I was a size 8-10 jeans, 10-12 top, or smaller, can't really remember.

I have just started running again, no where near as fit as I used to be though. And my diet is gradually getting better. I will start sport again in the summer (beginning of season).

If I say I want to do sports science, will people take one look at me, see I am fat and unfit, and snigger to themselves?
    Haha I must admit your heading made me chuckle somewhat - you certainly don't mince your words do you!

Don't let your size stop you from doing a sporty subject. You know yourself as you explained, being over weight isn't permanent for you. Don't worry about people sniggering either - you'll be the one laughing when you finish with your qualification and slim again!

ReputationRep:

I'm at a sports uni, basically every 3rd person does sport of some sort or going swimming or jogs if not at the gym or doing a related degree

And to be honest nobody gives a crap if your larger as long as you show enthusiasm in the sport you choose to do and do well in the course

so yeah, who cares

ReputationRep:
    The saddest thing about this is that an "average brit" is 5'5, 155lbs. Size 12-14 jeans, size 14-16 top
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Maybe they will, but who cares? If you love your subject then the views of other people shouldn't affect you. Sports science is primarily an academic subject, so provided you're prepared to put the intellectual effort in then I can't imagine anyone would be particularly cutting. And even if they were, it's your life, and not theirs.

ReputationRep:
    When I did Physiology and nutrition (similar) I was a size 18! I still did it though and while I was doing my course, what I was learning gave me enough encouragement to put it into practice. While I'm never going to be a size 8 or 10 naturally (I'm 5ft 11 and muscular), I did manage to get that slim with a lot of exercise, but naturally I'm probably a size 12-14. Use your course as an opportunity to get fit and dont let it put you off starting what you want to study.

ReputationRep:
    i dont get how you can be a 14-16 at 155lbs, im 198 and im a 14 EK:

anyway, you are not far off your healthy BMI weight so its not like youve got a lot to lose

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    If they do then they're pretty immature. Do what you want to do and don't let others dictate that. As you said, you're cutting down the weight, getting back into exercise/sport and getting back to your best so go for it!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 10, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.