Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any information on how Cambridge view the IB in comparions to A-Levels

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    they view it very highly, as its much harder than a'levels

ReputationRep:
    You can find lots of information on the Cambridge website and the colleges. They usually ask for ~40 points, with ~776 in HLs.

Why do you want to know how Cambridge view the IB in comparison to A-levels? They are two different ways of gaining admission, I don't really think they prefer one or the other.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmUIbA)
    You can find lots of information on the Cambridge website and the colleges. They usually ask for ~40 points, with ~776 in HLs.

Why do you want to know how Cambridge view the IB in comparison to A-levels? They are two different ways of gaining admission, I don't really think they prefer one or the other.

Good luck!
    For Trinity College, the "average" offer is 41 points (with 7 in the relevant subjects), and I have heard that gaining high scores on the IB is a lot harder than gaining the required "A" Level grades. I just wanted a few more opinions on the differences between the two systems and whether the University places one ahead of the other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mastermind_107)
    For Trinity College, the "average" offer is 41 points (with 7 in the relevant subjects), and I have heard that gaining high scores on the IB is a lot harder than gaining the required "A" Level grades. I just wanted a few more opinions on the differences between the two systems and whether the University places one ahead of the other.
    Hi,

Yeah, I finished the IB last year, and it was quite tough. If you're now deciding whether you want to take the IB or A Levels, here's my piece of advice:

If you truly like knowing (learning, studying, etc.), the IB is a great programme. If you're only interested in what you want to study at uni (eg maths and physics, or English literature and history, etc.), I'd recommend you the A Levels, which let you focus on what you really like.

Nevertheless, I did the IB in Spain and very few people do it, so the ones who do, are quite intellectual and interesting people. I met my best friends on the IB.

I forgot to say that I don't think Cambridge place one ahead of the other, since the most popular programme is the A Levels, so I guess most people applying there do the A Levels. Thus, they shouldn't put one or the other ahead, just because they would be putting at a disadvantage a lot of people; if that makes sense

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Yeah, I finished the IB last year, and it was quite tough. If you're now deciding whether you want to take the IB or A Levels, here's my piece of advice:

If you truly like knowing (learning, studying, etc.), the IB is a great programme. If you're only interested in what you want to study at uni (eg maths and physics, or English literature and history, etc.), I'd recommend you the A Levels, which let you focus on what you really like.

Nevertheless, I did the IB in Spain and very few people do it, so the ones who do, are quite intellectual and interesting people. I met my best friends on the IB.
    Thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I forgot to say that I don't think Cambridge place one ahead of the other, since the most popular programme is the A Levels, so I guess most people applying there do the A Levels. Thus, they shouldn't put one or the other ahead, just because they would be putting at a disadvantage a lot of people; if that makes sense
    I was wondering if you knew whether the IB course for Maths and Further Maths are more intensive than those at A Level.. it's really annoying how I can't access the IB specification for free

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if you knew whether the IB course for Maths and Further Maths are more intensive than those at A Level.. it's really annoying how I can't access the IB specification for free
    Hey, I used to have all the syllabi, but unfortunately lost them.

The thing is, I've recently read that HL Maths is regarded by Cambridge as Maths A Level + FMaths AS level, so you have a starting point here. I've met some people who've done FM A level but didn't know some topics I did with HL Maths, and the other way around as well.

I thought FM for the IB was discontinued or something, I don't know. I'm sure if you google long enough you'll find the syllabi. I used ibpapers.info, but it's gone a little nuts with all the ads and so on, I can't even access it.

Anyway, I've read some people have received Maths offers with only Maths HL, so you should be fine. Maybe you could take FM A level as an extra, if you can handle it.

Thanks for the rep BTW

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any information on how Cambridge view the IB in comparions to A-Levels

Thanks in advance
    In my personal opinion they are very demanding of IB students. I know some people whose offers were as low as 38, mine was 42 (and that was just for music!) But I find it extremely unlikely they'd ever make an offer below 38 or above 42. Either way you're going to need 7,7,6 at Higher Levels (7,6,6 offers are not unheard of but you don't want to bet on it) and really should be getting at least 40. Also think long and hard about your subjects, I had a friend who wanted to do Phys Natsci and couldn't because he hadn't done HL Maths. Also I'd stear clear of Business Studies, Film, Sports Science, Dance and Maths Studies although just one of these won't ruin your chances. Also just an unrelated tip: if it ain't too late don't do biology! It's widely accepted at my school as the hardest subject to get a 7 in, SL or HL.

ReputationRep:
    just do the IB. the advice given by the above poster is mostly sound. if you're going into science, engineering or maths, be sure to do maths hl and physics hl and possibly chemistry hl too; if you're doing anything else, it's a safe bet to do at least english a1 hl, history hl, proper maths sl and, of course, avoid the subjects above.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone applying to Cambridge with IB should read this:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki..._for_Cambridge

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if they really prefer IB candidates over A-level candidates, as they just gave me an IB offer of 42 with 7/7/6 at HL. It's (no offence) much harder to get 42 points than getting A*AA which is the usual A-level offer this year.

And also, why would you put yourself through more work, more stress and a harder exam, when you are just as likely to get in with A levels? just saying.

but then again, don't listen to me ... im in my final months of IB, freaking out about exams and in the i-wish-id-never-done-this phase. Really, the IB is interesting and challenging if you love to learn.

And also, Math studies doesn't matter at all. three people from my school got offers from Cambridge this year all taking math studies!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Verden)
    I'm not sure if they really prefer IB candidates over A-level candidates, as they just gave me an IB offer of 42 with 7/7/6 at HL.
    Certainly. I did Maths Studies too (40 points total; HL 7766) and got an offer (Linguistics), but I wouldn't recommend it as it's something of a silly subject, especially if you intend to use maths at some stage during your studies. Verden, that offer is just ridiculous. Is it Trinity?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Verden)
    I'm not sure if they really prefer IB candidates over A-level candidates, as they just gave me an IB offer of 42 with 7/7/6 at HL. It's (no offence) much harder to get 42 points than getting A*AA which is the usual A-level offer this year.

And also, why would you put yourself through more work, more stress and a harder exam, when you are just as likely to get in with A levels? just saying.

but then again, don't listen to me ... im in my final months of IB, freaking out about exams and in the i-wish-id-never-done-this phase. Really, the IB is interesting and challenging if you love to learn.

And also, Math studies doesn't matter at all. three people from my school got offers from Cambridge this year all taking math studies!
    42 is definitely much harder to get than A*AA, one of the many flaws of Cambridge's approach to the IB. That page that lists all of the colleges' views shows some more:

"St. Catharine's: 7,7,6 in Higher Level subjects, with an overall score of 37."

I know Catz is one of the less demanding colleges, but this is just absurd, no-one gets 7,7,6 and then 37. If you're getting 7,7,6 you're looking at ~43 and if you're getting 37 then you're looking at ~6,6,5. It's like making an A-level offer of A*A*CC.

(Original post by EWS)
    Certainly. I did Maths Studies too (40 points total; HL 7766) and got an offer (Linguistics), but I wouldn't recommend it as it's something of a silly subject, especially if you intend to use maths at some stage during your studies. Verden, that offer is just ridiculous. Is it Trinity?
    I had a 42, incl. 7,7,6 at HL offer too, from John's (very different from their advertised standard offer of 38!!). No way they'd ever ask for more than that! Also, did you really do 4 HLs? Why on earth would you! Especially if you're also doing Maths Studies? Why not do SL Maths and then 3 HLs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StormStryke)
    I had a 42, incl. 7,7,6 at HL offer too, from John's (very different from their advertised standard offer of 38!!). No way they'd ever ask for more than that! Also, did you really do 4 HLs? Why on earth would you! Especially if you're also doing Maths Studies? Why not do SL Maths and then 3 HLs?
    Great questions abound!

I guess I didn't think it through that much; at the time the thought that I might realistically hope to get into Oxbridge did not occur to me and so I didn't worry much about optimal subject combinations.

I did Norwegian A1, English A2, German B and History at HL, all of which are rumoured to be less difficult than Maths, Physics and the like. I wouldn't know, but I'm inclined to suspect that that may be true. I'm still a little bummed out that I didn't get the 7 I deserved in English—I was quite ill on the day of the exam and so wasn't able to concentrate too well. But those days are long gone now!

Anyway, I'm glad I did the IB and would advise anyone in doubt to do so too if they think they can manage it.

ReputationRep:
    Im in my first of the IB and right now I'm taking 5 highs (English A, French B, Physics, Economics and History) and one standard (Maths)
    I'm planning on applying to Oxbridge next year for English - do you think they'll find it off that I'm applying for a language but taking physics, econ etc.?
    cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamieraser)
    Im in my first of the IB and right now I'm taking 5 highs (English A, French B, Physics, Economics and History) and one standard (Maths)
    I'm planning on applying to Oxbridge next year for English - do you think they'll find it off that I'm applying for a language but taking physics, econ etc.?
    cheers
    Not at all. Everyone does subjects very different from their chosen field in the IB, it's what it's all about. My advice would be though to drop HL French and Physics. I did HL French and missed out for a 7 by 1% (they pushed the Nov 09 grade boundary up to 86% when previously it had been 84%). Economics there's barely any difference between SL an HL (apart from the pesky Theory of the Firm topic) and English HL I think is easier than SL.

ReputationRep:
    I would drop French to standard, except both the admissions pages I read for Oxford and Cambridge had History and another language as recommended courses for English applicants

ReputationRep:
    I would drop physics and either economics or history to SL. French is good for you.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm definitely keeping French and (probably) History. I think Economics will be first for the chop to be honest - 'Theory of the Firm' really does not interest me as much as the SL course.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.