Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamieraser)
    Yeah I'm definitely keeping French and (probably) History. I think Economics will be first for the chop to be honest - 'Theory of the Firm' really does not interest me as much as the SL course.
    I would just like to say Theory of the Firms is such an important part to Economics. It is so useful in the understanding of other parts of economics. It is kind of ridiculous how SL doesn't learn it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StormStryke)
    42 is definitely much harder to get than A*AA, one of the many flaws of Cambridge's approach to the IB. That page that lists all of the colleges' views shows some more:

"St. Catharine's: 7,7,6 in Higher Level subjects, with an overall score of 37."

I know Catz is one of the less demanding colleges, but this is just absurd, no-one gets 7,7,6 and then 37. If you're getting 7,7,6 you're looking at ~43 and if you're getting 37 then you're looking at ~6,6,5. It's like making an A-level offer of A*A*CC.

I had a 42, incl. 7,7,6 at HL offer too, from John's (very different from their advertised standard offer of 38!!). No way they'd ever ask for more than that! Also, did you really do 4 HLs? Why on earth would you! Especially if you're also doing Maths Studies? Why not do SL Maths and then 3 HLs?
    That's not true,
    I had an offer of 42, 776 for History, and 3 out of the 10 Catz historians were rejected after results day because they did not make their offers. For history at least, then, Catz is not 'one of the less demanding colleges'. When I was applying they said on the Catz website that you needed 39 points without bonus points. So that is more realistic, that equates to 42 with bonus points. They may well have changed that, but on the table you've quoted, I'd take those figures with caution.
    Also I know many people who were given AAAA offers for Catz.
    Catz came out 5th on the Tompkins, and has been up in that area for the past few years - if the college intends to stay there it will continue giving difficult offers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ysbera)
    I would just like to say Theory of the Firms is such an important part to Economics. It is so useful in the understanding of other parts of economics. It is kind of ridiculous how SL doesn't learn it.
    Yeah I understand that it is rather key and if I had any inclination towards doing Economics at university, then I would definitely stay at HL. However since I'm really taking the course of out academic curiosity more than anything, I don't see why I should make myself do more work for no reason :nah:
    Btw congratulations on getting such a high score, that's really impressive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beefsupreme)
    That's not true,
    I had an offer of 42, 776 for History, and 3 out of the 10 Catz historians were rejected after results day because they did not make their offers. For history at least, then, Catz is not 'one of the less demanding colleges'. When I was applying they said on the Catz website that you needed 39 points without bonus points. So that is more realistic, that equates to 42 with bonus points. They may well have changed that, but on the table you've quoted, I'd take those figures with caution.
    Also I know many people who were given AAAA offers for Catz.
    Catz came out 5th on the Tompkins, and has been up in that area for the past few years - if the college intends to stay there it will continue giving difficult offers.
    No I agree, all I was going on for that was that their "overall score" quoted was 37. Really though like I said asking for 37 with even 766 is ridiculous. It's also possible that the typical IB offer went up this year, just because I haven't heard of any offers less than 40 this year. Indeed I know someone from my very college whose offer was 38 last year and mine this year was 42 (for a less competitive course). How strange!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EWS)
    Verden, that offer is just ridiculous. Is it Trinity?
    Speaking for myself, I can confirm Trinity gives absurd offers; I have 41 7/7/7. Two other people from my school got cambridge offers as well, one for homerton and one for fitzwilliam, both with 40 7/7/6. For what that's worth.

So yes, I would say they demand more from IB students.

ReputationRep:
    Trinity's not the only college that gives absurd offers. My offer for medicine (last year) was 42 points with 777 at HL (including HL maths). Last year Newnham's website said they give offers between 41-43 points, but they've changed it to 40-42 now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by another ib-er)
    Trinity's not the only college that gives absurd offers. My offer for medicine (last year) was 42 points with 777 at HL (including HL maths). Last year Newnham's website said they give offers between 41-43 points, but they've changed it to 40-42 now.

... 42 with 777 is some offer. I should stop complaining about my 42 776 offer.

I didn't really check what each college said about usual IB offers before applying ... maybe I should've considered applying to a less demanding college in terms of IB conditional offers.

4 people from my school got offers from Cambridge this year. One 38 points, one 40 points and two offers of 42 points. I really think it varies alot and depends on your course and college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Verden)
    ... 42 with 777 is some offer. I should stop complaining about my 42 776 offer.

I didn't really check what each college said about usual IB offers before applying ... maybe I should've considered applying to a less demanding college in terms of IB conditional offers.

4 people from my school got offers from Cambridge this year. One 38 points, one 40 points and two offers of 42 points. I really think it varies alot and depends on your course and college.
    Feel free to complain- it's stress relief

I checked excessively and still applied to a college with, if not the highest IB offers, then one of the highest (not all colleges put their offers on their websites).

Most colleges tend to give offers of 776 at HL (true for last year, haven't checked the websites this year) and the total points vary. It seemed to vary most across the colleges rather than courses but perhaps it does vary across courses and they just don't publish that?

ReputationRep:
    Feel free to complain- it's stress relief

I checked excessively and still applied to a college with, if not the highest IB offers, then one of the highest (not all colleges put their offers on their websites).

Most colleges tend to give offers of 776 at HL (true for last year, haven't checked the websites this year) and the total points vary. It seemed to vary most across the colleges rather than courses but perhaps it does vary across courses and they just don't publish that?
    List of IB offers by College here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki..._for_Cambridge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pgl)
    List of IB offers by College here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki..._for_Cambridge
    These are not always true though and often misleading. The Catharine's one is quite off and the John's one is their minimum offer only.

ReputationRep:
    If you are applying for NatSci (phys), just forget about it if you don't have a predicted 7 in HL maths. I emailed every single college in September I could have applied to and didn't get any encouraging responses waste of bloody time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iapetus)
    If you are applying for NatSci (phys), just forget about it if you don't have a predicted 7 in HL maths. I emailed every single college in September I could have applied to and didn't get any encouraging responses waste of bloody time.
    Are you serious? Are you sure they ask for 7 in HL maths?? I'd like to think they understand thats a little.. demanding, even for them! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Dunno if the above comment about 7s in HL maths is true, but they are asking for 2 A*s for some A level students this year so it's only fair that they ask for 7s, even in HL maths.

ReputationRep:
    I know it's been said before, but i guess giving 7 offers in maths/physics/chemistry etc. is just a reflection of what tutors are actually expecting from students? The academic rigour of the IB gives them the opportunity to really push people to make the grades.
    Having said that, I'm also doing the IB and Maths HL is reeeediculous :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamieraser)
    I know it's been said before, but i guess giving 7 offers in maths/physics/chemistry etc. is just a reflection of what tutors are actually expecting from students? The academic rigour of the IB gives them the opportunity to really push people to make the grades.
    Having said that, I'm also doing the IB and Maths HL is reeeediculous :eek:
    I was hoping to apply on the basis that I might get a 776 offer, so I could go 7 physics, 7 chem, 6 maths (for HLs). Well I guess we will see!

ReputationRep:
    7 in HL maths is achievable- I struggled with maths until about a month before the exams and I managed to get a 7.

ReputationRep:
    True it's achievable, but I'm not willing to act on the assumption that'll I'll get a 7. But of course, I'll try!

Oh and congratulations another ib-er!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I know it's achievable, I have some friends who are already on their way to getting 7s and 6s. I was just speaking from my own experience as a bit of a idiot when it comes to Maths
    Congratulations on your score!

ReputationRep:
    Lol I found maths impossible, and then it suddenly clicked! I was trying to encourage you all

ReputationRep:
    Lol I found maths impossible, and then it suddenly clicked! I was trying to encourage you all
    I hope it "clicks" for me! At the moment it's sort of understand it at the time it's taught, understand it well after practice, forget it, revise it like mad for test, then after than I remember about half of it. Basically I can't remember it without loads of revision! :yep:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  3. University of Cambridge
    King's College Undergraduate
    Tue, 18 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.