Turn on thread page Beta

Why are British local authorities so ridiculous and incompetent? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Labour legislation and targets of course place many stupid regulations and red tape on everything, but I think that many local councils are to blame for being maliciously petty and inflexible, taking already dodgy laws and enforcing them to the absolute word, even going further than that. This includes local police forces, school authorities, NHS trusts, and council agencies... some take ambiguous laws and guidelines too literally. Excessive health and safety regulations, yobs' rights, squatters' rights, political correctness, all too common themes.

At least some of it is true, far from tabloid fiction. Where are the elected local councillors, why don't they use their common sense or compassion in terms of local concerns? And the police and courts, why punish people for defending themselves? I understand they have to enforce the law, but the concept of self-defence and provocation seems to be non-existent :dontknow:

I know, I have quite an embittered view of the situation. It's fair to expect the worst and get surprised when local authorities are actually competent and helpful. Of course, the bad cases are always the most publicised, and "local police successfully evict yobs" is how it should be, hardly national headline material.

What do you think of all this? How much is more the general rule than an exception?

ReputationRep:
    You aint seen nothing unitil you live under the idiotic leader ship of Bradford Council. I think much of the problems comes from the lack of accountability that you don't see in the private sector, the lack of the profit driver and secure jobs make it easy for people to be unproductive. Also you get the sense that many people are employed in positions that don't need to exist :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    A lot of local authorities are shockingly corrupt and shockingly incompetent. In large part this happens because many councils have enormous majorities, most people don't bother to vote and those that do often vote based on irrelevant national politics issues rather than on local issues. Its

I don't think national laws are as much to blame as you think they are. Journalists and spokespeople blame Health and Safety legislation and the Human Rights Act for decisions which have absolutely nothing to do with those pieces of legislation. In most cases legal restrictions really aren't that onerous and are just an excuse for excessively defensive or just plain incompetent governance.

ReputationRep:
    People don't pay enough attention to even begin to be able to hold their local authorities to account. Few people vote on purely local issues.

In fairness the cause of this is probably that local authorities don't have that much power, and too often are just there to act upon the will of central government. People don't care because our system of local governance is shockingly ineffectual.
    Where I live the Tory district council blocked a planning application, only for the ******* **** of a Home Secretary to overturn the decision. That's happened more than once in recent years, so what am I ******* voting for if the council can't even control local planning decisions. If I ever see David Blunkett I will probably punch him in the face.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
    Labour legislation and targets of course place many stupid regulations and red tape on everything, but I think that many local councils are to blame for being maliciously petty and inflexible, taking already dodgy laws and enforcing them to the absolute word, even going further than that. This includes local police forces, school authorities, NHS trusts, and council agencies... some take ambiguous laws and guidelines too literally. Excessive health and safety regulations, yobs' rights, squatters' rights, political correctness, all too common themes.
    Peanuts and monkeys. Pay in all but the highest roles in local government (and I use that term broadly, as you have) is crap, and even then the highly paid ones are not generally the decision-makers: a councillor will earn a lot less than the head of a council's paid service.

Thereafter it's usually just a case of stupid people going to far to cover their arses. Not to mention local councils are barely accountably - people don't care about them, and use the elections as more-or-less a midterm poll on the central government. It seems the worst thing that can happen to a County Council employee is having his name mentioned in Private Eye's Rotten Boroughs.

Lots of local councillors are worryingly thick. Particularly in certain parties. Others are rabid dolts on the political margins, who have sucked up to their parties enough to get a council seat but are generally considered to be massive liabilities. If you want to find Republicans, unreformed Communists, racists, fascists, trigger-happy farmers, extreme feminists and child molesters then look no further than your town hall.

And the police and courts, why punish people for defending themselves? I understand they have to enforce the law, but the concept of self-defence and provocation seems to be non-existent :dontknow:
    Entirely wrong. In fact, the police and courts give a massive degree of leeway to the individual in determining what is self-defence. If you legitimately defend yourself, even in a quite unreasonable way, your chances of being prosecuted are next to nil.

That doesn't stop tabloids from bending the truth to present thugs like Thingy Martin and that Asian fellow - who viciously tried to take revenge upon people - as being poor, innocent victims of the system. It's a lot of nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    A rather meaningless Daily Mail type rant that needs fleshing out with evidence. The only one that springs to mind is the appalling corruption in Westminster under the Tories when Shirley Porter ran it. She cleared off to Israel to avoid being sent to prison when the s**t hit the fan..

ReputationRep:
    All the major political parties are heading in the direction of devolving more power to local authorities - http://www.communities.gov.uk/news/corporate/1458410 is the Government's latest set of proposals.

The problem is that either the media is ignorant about who to hold to account, or willfully misinform its readers/viewers about who to hold to account. Given that many local authority chief executives (the equivelant to Permanent Secretaries in Whitehall departments, but at local council level) and some elected council portfolio posts are paid as much as ministers and perm secs, then they should take as much heat as ministers do when things go wrong. The problem is that the media screams blue murder at ministers for issues that should otherwise be dealt with at local level.

Also, bad news sells. The tabloids love a political correctness gawn mad story.

ReputationRep:
    This includes local police forces, school authorities, NHS trusts, and council agencies... some take ambiguous laws and guidelines too literally. Excessive health and safety regulations, yobs' rights, squatters' rights, political correctness, all too common themes.
    They're, like you and me, self interested. More 'rights' = bigger budgets. Is it in a police officer's interests for there to be no trouble at football matches? (a nice source of overtime)

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.