Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I'm in a sticky situation. I've just dropped out of uni mainly because of financial reasons and I hated my course. I couldn't afford my accommodation anymore because my mum lost her job (I don't have a dad I could turn to either) and I told the accommodation services in December that I'd be leaving the uni therefore would be leaving my room.

They say that regardless of my reasons I still have to pay for the entire year and owe them £2,600 which in short I do not have.All my student loan has gone towards accommodation and the majority of my overdraft.I'm trying my hardest to find a job and they've tried to make it easier for me by saying I can pay them £514.28 per month but even so that means nothing to me as I just don't have that kind of money. Fair enough if I were still a student,I'd be getting two more parts to my student loan/grant and potentially could've paid it but since I've left I don't get that financial support anymore.

I'm supposed to be going back to uni in September but they've said that I won't be able to register until I pay for it all.I am really really lost for ideas and don't know what the hell I'm going to do.

Any advice is highly appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gooner1991)
    Hi guys,

I'm in a sticky situation. I've just dropped out of uni mainly because of financial reasons and I hated my course. I couldn't afford my accommodation anymore because my mum lost her job (I don't have a dad I could turn to either) and I told the accommodation services in December that I'd be leaving the uni therefore would be leaving my room.

They say that regardless of my reasons I still have to pay for the entire year and owe them £2,600 which in short I do not have.All my student loan has gone towards accommodation and the majority of my overdraft.I'm trying my hardest to find a job and they've tried to make it easier for me by saying I can pay them £514.28 per month but even so that means nothing to me as I just don't have that kind of money. Fair enough if I were still a student,I'd be getting two more parts to my student loan/grant and potentially could've paid it but since I've left I don't get that financial support anymore.

I'm supposed to be going back to uni in September but they've said that I won't be able to register until I pay for it all.I am really really lost for ideas and don't know what the hell I'm going to do.

Any advice is highly appreciated
    I find it quite odd that they're still insisting you pay. The agreement at most unis is that once you leave university as a whole, you're no longer liable for the accommodation fees.

If I were you, I'd talk to the Citizens Advice Bureau - there'll be a list of locations on their website if you're not sure where your nearest one is - and they should be able to help. I don't think it's fair that they want you to be paying this much when you're not able to find anything like that kind of money.

ReputationRep:
    Citizens Advice Bureau is a good place to start. People have it down as scummy and not unlike the Job Centre. It's really not, I've had some really good legal advice from there, that actually sorted out a problem I had with a quite large company very quickly. They can tell you what to write to the company and which laws to quote to support you. Honestly, give them a call

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever been hacked?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.