Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Talk about going down a career cul-de-sac... I think I might win the trophy for this one!

Firstly hello everyone. I've been reading this forum for a couple of months as my compulsion to pursue a medical career has fevered. I would dearly like to ask you for some advice.

To cut a long story short... I went to a good grammar school, wanted to be a Doctor, spent 5 years undertaking various hospital and charity based work experience, didn't work as hard as I should have done at GCSE but managed to get decent grades 2A*s, 5As, 1 B and 1 C (Maths). Then I was thrown a shocker and refused entry to A-Level chemistry due to my poor Maths GCSE result, despite heart-felt begging and pleading that my career lay in Medicine.
    I then proceeded to mess up my A-Level years whilst completely losing my way and only obtained B (English), C (General Studies), D (Religious Studies), E Biology

With these scores (and not de-similar predicted grades) I applied for an English Degree, as I always enjoyed English and was very good at it. I went onto obtain a 2:1 BA (hons) in English from Manchester Met (again not applying myself in any way) and (having somewhat redeemed myself) was accepted onto a prestigious Masters course at The Shakespeare Institute in Stratford Upon Avon to study Shakespeare. I graduated with my MA (hons) in Shakespearean Studies in 2001. By this point I think I resembled a drug crazed emu sticking its head in the sand and getting further and further buried in the mire :woo:

Sorry, I said I was going to cut this short and this is turning into a complete rant.

Since graduating I embarked on a career in theatre and then the music industry, where I have enjoyed a very successful career.

Problem is, I am still obsessed with being a Doctor. This year it has really got to me. I find myself utterly and irrationally jealous when I meet Doctors in the pub, I find strange glee in testing my medical knowledge on episodes of Casualty, my friends have all insisted that I have missed my vocation in life, and my weekend holiday with my Father's Charity is cherished due to having time with sick people and helping them.

So I've decided, it's time to bloody apply and then at least I'll know that I've tried and won't be kicking myself for the rest of my life.

Sooo, my QUESTION is... where do I start?

I've already ascertained that I could be eligible for some of the 4 year GEM courses and am now looking into:

- shadowing work with my local NHS trust
    - volunteer work with local charities
    - taking a night course for Chemistry A/AS Level -but is this necessary if I have a degree?
    - looking into UKCAT past papers -which quite frankly terrify me.

I know that my ideal course would be Kings College or another London based University and then Southampton.
    I have completely forgotten how to apply through UCAST –I remember it being really difficult in 1998 –and I have no-one to advise me on strategic application techniques, or if in reality I’m completely kidding myself and should just give up the dream.

If anyone thinks they could offer some help or advice I’d be eternally grateful.

Thanks in advance- if only for reading this. Might start editing my PS now!

ReputationRep:
    I think as you've been out of the science/maths education side of things for quite some time, maybe it would be best to consider if you could handle that kind of scientific academic workload? Considering your only science A-level was an E, are you sure you would be able to? I know if I hadn't studied science for that long I wouldn't remember anything! But that is of course only one thing to consider.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by tobeornotobe2010)
    Talk about going down a career cul-de-sac... I think I might win the trophy for this one!

Firstly hello everyone. I've been reading this forum for a couple of months as my compulsion to pursue a medical career has fevered. I would dearly like to ask you for some advice.

To cut a long story short... I went to a good grammar school, wanted to be a Doctor, spent 5 years undertaking various hospital and charity based work experience, didn't work as hard as I should have done at GCSE but managed to get decent grades 2A*s, 5As, 1 B and 1 C (Maths). Then I was thrown a shocker and refused entry to A-Level chemistry due to my poor Maths GCSE result, despite heart-felt begging and pleading that my career lay in Medicine.
    I then proceeded to mess up my A-Level years whilst completely losing my way and only obtained B (English), C (General Studies), D (Religious Studies), E Biology

With these scores (and not de-similar predicted grades) I applied for an English Degree, as I always enjoyed English and was very good at it. I went onto obtain a 2:1 BA (hons) in English from Manchester Met (again not applying myself in any way) and (having somewhat redeemed myself) was accepted onto a prestigious Masters course at The Shakespeare Institute in Stratford Upon Avon to study Shakespeare. I graduated with my MA (hons) in Shakespearean Studies in 2001. By this point I think I resembled a drug crazed emu sticking its head in the sand and getting further and further buried in the mire :woo:

Sorry, I said I was going to cut this short and this is turning into a complete rant.

Since graduating I embarked on a career in theatre and then the music industry, where I have enjoyed a very successful career.

Problem is, I am still obsessed with being a Doctor. This year it has really got to me. I find myself utterly and irrationally jealous when I meet Doctors in the pub, I find strange glee in testing my medical knowledge on episodes of Casualty, my friends have all insisted that I have missed my vocation in life, and my weekend holiday with my Father's Charity is cherished due to having time with sick people and helping them.

So I've decided, it's time to bloody apply and then at least I'll know that I've tried and won't be kicking myself for the rest of my life.

Sooo, my QUESTION is... where do I start?

I've already ascertained that I could be eligible for some of the 4 year GEM courses and am now looking into:

- taking a night course for Chemistry A/AS Level -but is this necessary if I have a degree?

I know that my ideal course would be Kings College or another London based University and then Southampton.
    I have completely forgotten how to apply through UCAST –I remember it being really difficult in 1998 –and I have no-one to advise me on strategic application techniques, or if in reality I’m completely kidding myself and should just give up the dream.

If anyone thinks they could offer some help or advice I’d be eternally grateful.

Have a look at this: http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=11
    There are plenty of unis you can apply to that don't need A Level chem. And get lots of work experience so you know if medicine is definitely right for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope)
    If you can't even handle your GCSE's then you have no business applying.:mad:
    Can I just ask why make that post? It just breeds an argument. Clearly this individual can handle GCSEs, as s/he did pretty well in them.

Anyway, going by reading your post, I don't know if it's just passion, but it seems as if you have somewhat of a lust for medicine, perhaps over a love for medicine. I mean, clearly you've had the desire for a long time, but one thing I'd make sure of before committing is making double sure that it is what you want to commit you life to over, as opposed to something that it just seen as desirable. It's obviously impossible to tell from one post, I just thought it might be worthwhile making that point. If it is indeed your true desire then that's all good.

UCAS isn't so complicated now, not sure what it was like in 1998 but it's all digitised now and they have an area on the website that explains it to you. Depending on where you apply you may need to sit exams such as the UKCAT or BMAT (doubt you'll need to do the BMAT though). Soton, as you say, has a very good graduate entry programme for medicine.

ReputationRep:
    Kris, I'm pretty sure I could. I got 2 As in my Science GCSEs and have always really enjoyed reading medical books and journals (both my parents are consultant nurses so I'm always reading bits and pieces and discussing latest research with them). I enjoy the science, it's whether the Maths side of things would be too much.
    ITSFMS, as I said I really messed things up (I was nearly 2 hrs late to my Biology A Level exam). I've been brutally honest because I've not come on here to win sympathy or get unrealistic assurances. I just wanted to get some advice as to whether I should bury this ambition for good or to go for it. At the end of the day it's my decision but I want it to be as informed as possible. As I've said, I have noone else to ask.
    Thank you for your input.

ReputationRep:
    ha i think being able to cope with a degree is a slightly better indicator than some silly exams at 16 when the OP had better things to be doing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woody.)
    Can I just ask why make that post? It just breeds an argument. Clearly this individual can handle GCSEs, as s/he did pretty well in them.
    Anyway, going by reading your post, I don't know if it's just passion, but it seems as if you have somewhat of a lust for medicine, perhaps over a love for medicine. I mean, clearly you've had the desire for a long time, but one thing I'd make sure of before committing is making double sure that it is what you want to commit you life to over, as opposed to something that it just seen as desirable. It's obviously impossible to tell from one post, I just thought it might be worthwhile making that point. If it is indeed your true desire then that's all good.

UCAS isn't so complicated now, not sure what it was like in 1998 but it's all digitised now and they have an area on the website that explains it to you. Depending on where you apply you may need to sit exams such as the UKCAT or BMAT (doubt you'll need to do the BMAT though). Soton, as you say, has a very good graduate entry programme for medicine.
    Pah!

ReputationRep:
    Waitttt... you have a degree in Shakespeare!? :nothing:

ReputationRep:
    You're a bit of a **** aren't you?! :rolleyes:

OP - If I were you I would look at doing a 5-year course, I'm not sure how your degree would be ranked in GEM terms - GEM med is even more competitive than the 5 year - and I'm not certain how well your degree would measure up. If I were you - I'd consider re-doing your a-levels in a year - it is do-able but HARD work - it would also prove you were academically able. Otherwise I think GEM doesn't look great for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blonde-beth)
    ha i think being able to cope with a degree is a slightly better indicator than some silly exams at 16 when the OP had better things to be doing...
    Name seven. Besides, a mediocre performance at GCSE shows that they are either lazy or stupid. End of.

ReputationRep:
    it can be done... I got 2 c's for bio and chem at GCSE and ended up doin a lot betta at as

ReputationRep:
    Lol, thanks everyone for your replies since ITSFMS's... felt like I had a shot to the heart when I read that but it's nice to know the rest of you can see through my failings!

ReputationRep:
    Kris, I'm pretty sure I could. I got 2 As in my Science GCSEs and have always really enjoyed reading medical books and journals.
    If you feel like you would be academically able and you have thought it through financially, I think there is no reason not to really consider it as an option. However, it is a huge financial and time consuming investment. Really analyse your reasons and make sure you are certain you actually want to be a doctor, not just the idea of it. There are many people who like the idea but not the reality!

It will be difficult for you, due to your choice of degree and lack of chemistry A-level, but if you really want it, go for it. Make sure you meet the requirements for courses, as I don't know about GEM I can't tell you if you do, and you have a realistic chance.

ReputationRep:
    Name seven. Besides, a mediocre performance at GCSE shows that they are either lazy or stupid. End of.
    um, having fun? (and then name seven ways of having fun, not hard.) perhaps you are right for school leavers, but im not sure you can really judge someone with a degree on some exams they did ages ago.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Lol, thanks everyone for your replies since ITSFMS's... felt like I had a shot to the heart when I read that but it's nice to know the rest of you can see through my failings!
    They're not failings. And ignore her, she seems to go out her way to wind people up. If she was right no one would be worthy of applying. But sophyy is right; 5 year might be worth looking at. Oh, and I didn't get particularly good GCSEs but I've got an offer from Soton - people can turn themselves around.

ReputationRep:
    please ignore him, he is very misinformed.

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks Kris. Guys admissions have said I'd be eligible to apply for their GEM course, but maybe it would be better for me to apply for a 5 year (as much as that will break me financially) as Sophyy says.
    I've spent so many years soul searching, I just need to make this final decision now to give myself the best shot.
    Thecdon- thanks for the encouragement I think a true focus and a bit of maturity can do wonders for the old grades!

ReputationRep:
    Totally and utterly disagree with this statement!!

My GCSE's were mediocre (although all good passes) and far from my predicted grades due to a medical/psychological condition I developed in year 10, causing me to be absent from school for 10 months and having to teach myself.

I have since gone on to a successful A-Level career, attend a prestigious University and achieve more than I was "predicted" by my GCSE tutors. Exams are not the sole indication of someone's ability! Besides, in employment, alot more accounts for a successful applicant than letters on a piece of paper.

OP, If you wish to pursue a career in medicine, I'd recommend you go for it! Nothing should stop you aspiring to be whatever you want to be. I'm not an expert on medicine, thus cannot offer any specific advice but I have many friends (including housemates) who study medicine who no doubt know alot more about the subject than me. I shall enquire with them and let you know of any information I find out!

On a lighter note, watch the film "Patch Adams", a true story about a gentleman in America who became a successful Doctor, owning his own surgery, at a more mature age! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I would go for Southampton, we take a 2:1 in any degree, but you wouldneed to do Chem (and possibly bio) to be eligable to apply.

If it is what you want then go for it.

OP - it's never too late

Yes, some universities don't require A level chemistry
    UKCAT - practise makes perfect Also, because you are a grad student, you may have to do GAMSAT instead of UKCAT - again, this depends on the uni.

Have a look at this
    That website has really good information
    A specific page I want you to see is http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=11

Those are the current uni requirements for grad students for the graduate entry

Hope things work out for you, good luck :top:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 8, 2010

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.