Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Worried that lack of a science will affect my prestige. Please help. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So for A Level my options are of yet undecided. In an ideal world, I'd like to take:

Maths, Economics, History, Media Studies/English Lit

However, I'm afraid that not having a science will affect me later in life personally. Really, that I'd be considered a soft touch, taking subjects that are considered 'hobbies' rather than proper, academic, prestigious subjects like Physics or Chemistry.

I love social sciences and humanities in general. Though undecided, I'm leaning towards something like political sciences, sociology, maybe Economics or History. All things I enjoy, am good at, at GCSE level and think I will be so at A Level. Obviously, in those subjects, the sciences will be of no use to me. However, I am told that universities prefer it if you have ONE creative subjects and a wide range of subjects to show that you have a wide range of skills. Is that true? Will my selected options leave me too specialized in broad area?

Fact of the matter is, despite getting an A on my mock, I despise Physics.

I can deal with Chemistry, but also would prefer not to take it.

I DO like Biology, however, looking at the specification for A Level, it does not appeal to me.

I'm worried that when it come to getting a job, my qualifications will not be specialized enough and even if I do get something like an MBA, I'm afraid I'm going to end up working in some boring organization, maybe as a manager, maybe getting good money but doing something that is quite commonplace. Worst of all, I'm afraid I'm going to end up in a bank...:shifty:

I don't want to be a doctor or a teacher or a lawyer, but I also don't want to be someone who you'd tell your children, something along the lines of "Yes, he's a manager in X company", "he does something in X airlines".

I'm worried that without a science, I will not have as good an understanding of the world around me, the world that I live in that I should have. You know, like when you go out to a social gathering, you have loads of people with an understanding of the economy or the media and have a good historical general knowledge but I want to be a little different than that. Will not taking a science effect me in that aspect? Make me look dumb?

I realize I may come off looking a little conceited and I apologize for that, but I have this thing that, when I am around people, I like to have a better understanding of things in general than they have.

ReputationRep:
    No one will give a toss about your A-levels in ten years time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NewGold)
    No one will give a toss about your A-levels in ten years time.
    What about within that ten years?

ReputationRep:
    I would be more worried about potentially taking Media if I was worried about "prestige"

ReputationRep:
    Take Politics over Media Studies for great success!

Don't take Science subjects if you don't enjoy them - what's the point in doing something you hate forever, whatever the financial gain is?

ReputationRep:
    Maths is a science!
    Also,
    Maths = Brilliant
    Economics = Pretty good
    History = Brilliant
    Media Studies = crap, take English Lit instead
    English Lit = Brilliant

ReputationRep:
    Those subjects seem fine. You're doing Maths which is very well respected and is counted as a science, while History is also well considered because it's tough. Economics is definitely not one to be looked down on, either. But Media Studies, really? Definitely take English Lit if you're worried about the prestige of subjects, as Media Studies is the only one out of your selection which stands out like a sore thumb.

However it's down to you, choose the ones you enjoy!

ReputationRep:
    What are you on about? Sciences aren't the only prestigious subjects, y'know. History and English Lit are just as respected as the sciences. (Don't take Media, mind :p:) Plus, what's even weirder for me, you've got Maths, which is a science, proving you're an all-rounder anyway.

There is no problem. You clearly don't like sciences so don't take them. Maths, Economics, History and English Lit are very strong subjects. You've been misinformed if you think not having a science in there will disadvantage you in any way (unless you wanna go into a science/maths based career/course at uni which, by the sounds of it, you don't wanna do).

ReputationRep:
    Ye'll be fine, you have MATHS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muffinz)
    Take Politics over Media Studies for great success!

Don't take Science subjects if you don't enjoy them - what's the point in doing something you hate forever, whatever the financial gain is?
    With media it keeps open the option of working in the media. It really is an underrated subject. How many know the theories and the people who did the theorizing on how the media manipulates it's consumers? Do you know how to plan, organize, film, edit and evaluate a movie? Do you know what software is best for which file types?

Cheers for the advice on the science thing. Thing is, I like being a social snob! Sciences make you seem a hell of a lot cleverer socially. So I'm trying to decide whether the social gain is worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lattywatty)
    What are you on about? Sciences aren't the only prestigious subjects, y'know. History and English Lit are just as respected as the sciences. (Don't take Media, mind :p:) Plus, what's even weirder for me, you've got Maths, which is a science, proving you're an all-rounder anyway.

There is no problem. You clearly don't like sciences so don't take them. Maths, Economics, History and English Lit are very strong subjects. You've been misinformed if you think not having a science in there will disadvantage you in any way (unless you wanna go into a science/maths based career/course at uni which, by the sounds of it, you don't wanna do).
    Cheers mate, you've been a huge help. Much appreciated.

Thanks to everyone else who posted here as well. Although I think some of you are misunderstanding my problem. I'm not worried so much as to how my options will impress Unis, more how they'll affect my 'reputation' shall we say, in social situations 10 years from now, through the general knowledge gained from the A Levels.

With media, they only really take into consideration my top three subjects, don't they? I thought that it would be nice to have a subject that I would enjoy, would help in something like International Relations and also show that I can be creative?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bob247)
    With media it keeps open the option of working in the media. It really is an underrated subject. How many know the theories and the people who did the theorizing on how the media manipulates it's consumers? Do you know how to plan, organize, film, edit and evaluate a movie? Do you know what software is best for which file types?

Cheers for the advice on the science thing. Thing is, I like being a social snob! Sciences make you seem a hell of a lot cleverer socially. So I'm trying to decide whether the social gain is worth it.
    Most people in the media don't have qualifications in Media... and anyway, the manipulation is covered in English Lit. Media Studies is one of the worst seen subjects socially (I have observed), so if you're worried about how you'll look then drop that.

ReputationRep:
    Sciences make you seem a hell of a lot cleverer socially
    What strange company you must keep...

ReputationRep:

tbh imo, most people who are actually journalists/newsreaders, actually in media, willnot have media degrees/a levels, something like english would actually be better to get into media than doing media

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    What strange company you must keep...
    I'm thinking 10 years in the future mate. I've seen my dad with his friends when they go on about all the nuclear development that is going on here in the future. My dad just sits there, obviously not understanding anything and just ends up looking really gormless. I don't want to be that guy.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Kinsula)
    Maths is a science!
    Also,
    Maths = Brilliant
    Economics = Pretty good
    History = Brilliant
    Media Studies = crap, take English Lit instead
    English Lit = Brilliant
    :ditto: this pretty much

OP Why would you take sciences when you have a solid set of subjects, that you'll enjoy?
    I think your view that the only subjects that are respected are sciences is a little misguided, subjects such as English Lit. and History are highly regarded, and having physics certainly isn't going to help you get on to anything except a physics degree :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking 10 years in the future mate. I've seen my dad with his friends when they go on about all the nuclear development that is going on here in the future. My dad just sits there, obviously not understanding anything and just ends up looking really gormless. I don't want to be that guy.
    My advice is....do what you enjoy, I'm not sure how many mates you are going to have in nuclear development or whatever, not enough that it would requrire a science degree or A-level to understand them (which still may not be sufficient - nuclear development I imagine is a pretty precise, narrow and difficult field)

Mate

ReputationRep:
    Why are you worrying about that AT ALL???? Seriously, forget about that. Change the conversation to Hitler's foreign policy to make them all shut up.

ReputationRep:
    I personally would have far more respect for someone doing what they want and actually like than someone who is doing something they hate for the sake of prestige.

ReputationRep:
    You know, like when you go out to a social gathering, you have loads of people with an understanding of the economy or the media and have a good historical general knowledge but I want to be a little different than that. Will not taking a science effect me in that aspect? Make me look dumb?
    I have never heard anybody talk about enthalpy, molarity or Van der Walls forces at a scoial gathering :teehee: And tbh Science is the sort of thing it is socially acceptable to be rubbish at, many writers, journalists won't be able to draw the basic structure of an atom, yet would probably look down on those who don't know who the Byzantines or Oscar Wilde are.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.